Running Bear's Coffee Shoppe LX

Indeed, I was glad to see Carey post again. I don't mind a bit to liaise but it's better to hear it from him directly.
Although he didn't ask for prayers, I reckon it sure wouldn't hurt to send our best wishes down Birmingham way.
E.

Boris, that's funny to use the word easements to this former land surveyor. Since I'm [currently] stuck with my 18" curves I have to make do. So far no problems .... until I got that FP45 from Terry.
That was all a few months ago when I started adding some details to my engines - MRU clusters. Most all went well with no problems. Apparently I had never ran the FP on my inner track. The snow blade kept getting pulled off coming off of one turn.
In NASCAR parlance, it was pushin - so I thought.
After putting on my magnifier hood and watching it a few times it was clearly catching foliage I had put around my turnout so as to hide the motor. Of course it would not be prudent, prototypical or model, to put a turnout coming immediately out of a curve - but none the less I can only deal with the small real estate for now.

Just some thoughts.
E.

Yea, I'm a little cheesed off at those that can't trust themselves to lay DECENT track that can carry electricity and have been snookered into putting drops on every piece of track and then insinuate that I'm LYING about all this track with no feeds!

Then being TOLD "not to encourage others" to do like I'm doing...Man, if dueling was back in style I would DEMAND satisfaction, Sledgehammers at six feet bucko, nobody calls me a liar!

And if 4% grades are too much WHY do they sell inclines in that %? If no trains could run em they would not sell em!

I'm outie, this has been fun and some of you are really nice people but I'm in a pisser right now and don't trust myself to stay civil!

If I was not certain that kids were looking I'da blasted off and said things that would make a Drill Sgt BLUSH!

Be safe and keep it between the rails, I'll come down off the ceiling eventually.

Yea, I'm a little cheesed off at those that can't trust themselves to lay DECENT track that can carry electricity and have been snookered into putting drops on every piece of track and then insinuate that I'm LYING about all this track with no feeds!

Then being TOLD "not to encourage others" to do like I'm doing...Man, if dueling was back in style I would DEMAND satisfaction, Sledgehammers at six feet bucko, nobody calls me a liar!

And if 4% grades are too much WHY do they sell inclines in that %? If no trains could run em they would not sell em!

I'm outie, this has been fun and some of you are really nice people but I'm in a pisser right now and don't trust myself to stay civil!

If I was not certain that kids were looking I'da blasted off and said things that would make a Drill Sgt BLUSH!

Be safe and keep it between the rails, I'll come down off the ceiling eventually.
...Wow....

Easy there Stud! Slow deep breaths!!! ;)
I'm not really in much a decent myself either this morning. Crappy, little and restless sleep made good for that.
Squat for supper didn't help.
I already sent Larry a message to come get me and lets get started - NOW. I even offered to buy breakfast.
It'll get my mind off my foul mood and once I start seeing the kitchen come together more I'll forget all about it.
Nothing in particular, just a bad night's sleep is all.

Otherwise, good morning gents. A chilly 22° with wind chill at 13.
E

Good Morning All. It's 35 degrees and clear here in North Central Texas this morning. It's expected to go up to 72 today after hitting 60 yesterday. Upper 60's to upper 70's for the next ten days except Saturday (lower 60's). While it looks like winter is over, it's probably not really the case as I have seen freezes well into April, although the average last freeze date here is March 18, over a month away. Yesterday being as nice as it was, gave me an opportunity to clear some brush and cut-off tree limbs from the yard. I still have 14 dead trees to go that died in the drought between 2012 and 2014. Looks like the firewood supply is assured for a few more years. Some of you may recall that I heat my house exclusively with a wood-burning stove. After wearing myself out I moved on into the train shed and did some more detailing. I also spent time moving freight cars back to staging after my experiment with maximizing what an engine could pull!!!
Eric - Good to hear that you are back to work. A little spending cash is always a good thing. Regarding your roads, the one on the right looks OK, but the left one has me stumped as it seems to go nowhere. Hmmm - "Road to Nowhere", wasn't that a Talking Heads song from the 80's? Unless of course you are planning to put something in that blank area on the left of the road.
Sherrel - I couldn't answer your "dumb" question as I run DC only.
Carey - Hang in there. It will come back.
Garry - Real or modeled, the E-units look good.
Curt - Good that you are feeling better. I am lucky, as I didn't used to get colds very often. That all changed around age 58 or so, now I get them about once a year...not yet this year knocking on wood.
Terry in Wisconsin - I am with you on the atlas terminal joiners except that I use them on all sidings and spurs as well. I suck at soldering and I need to leave expansion joints (don't ask me how I know this), so I only solder a very limited number of locations. It worked on my old layout for over 25 years in a room with temperature ranges from 0-114 degrees!

That's it this morning, off to the train shed until daylight actually warms the place up a bit.
Have an awesome day.

Willie

Eric - Good to hear that you are back to work. A little spending cash is always a good thing. Regarding your roads, the one on the right looks OK, but the left one has me stumped as it seems to go nowhere. Hmmm - "Road to Nowhere", wasn't that a Talking Heads song from the 80's? Unless of course you are planning to put something in that blank area on the left of the road.

The idea with the one on the left was it heads over towards the maintenance building.
The one on the right would lead into the sand and fuel facility - obviously.
Out of view are 2 places where I can bring in a road to the as yet non existent town.
Except for working as a land surveyor in an engineering firm, I have no experience or training with "city planning". ;)

The idea with the one on the left was it heads over towards the maintenance building.
The one on the right would lead into the sand and fuel facility - obviously.
Out of view are 2 places where I can bring in a road to the as yet non existent town.
Except for working as a land surveyor in an engineering firm, I have no experience or training with "city planning". ;)

How about paving over the whole area around those buildings...including the track.?

Good morning all. 26 degrees to start the morning off. Got up to 48 yesterday afternoon and could be up there again today.

Terry - Nice photo.

Willie - Sometimes I think we're better off with DC. No fried decoders, no programming problems. Nice and simple. Soldering isn't very hard Willie. When I was in the service, I worked in electronics for the ships guided missile fire control system and I couldn't believe how many guys were coming out of school who couldn't solder. After a little instruction, they did fine. What most people do is try to heat up the solder with the iron. Wrong. Put the iron on the joint that you want to solder, and don't touch the solder to the iron. Instead, touch the solder to, for instance, the rail joiner, and the iron to the rail. Heat up the rail and the joiner will heat up from being in contact with the rail. When the joint is hot enough, the solder will flow easily and you'll have a good solder joint.

Eric - Nice to see you getting some hours in.

Haven't seen many photos. Here's one we took last year returning from a bowling tournament in Thompson Falls, MT. The river is the Clark Fork River, not too far from Plains, MT.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
How about paving over the whole area around those buildings...including the track.?

I was just thinking dirt or gravel maybe. Maybe even as simple as cutting my poster board pieces close enough and spray painting them gray. Honestly, I'm in new territory on this one when it comes to the model world.
All advice and tips are more than welcome.
I do have a tree making kit on the way - ala David/LASM video.
E

Yeah Chet. Me to!!
It's good to have something to work for - even if it is just work.
Gives me a reason to get up in the morning other than just not being able to sleep.
And I couldn't/didn't sleep worth pee hole in snow last night.
No doubt I won't be running on full afterburners today like I did yesterday.... unless we stop for breakfast again.
Then it'll be "game on!".

Larry just called and is on his way.
Catch you fellers later this evening.
E.

Cutting the poster board would probably work fine. I would support them from underneath so they don't warp. I use sheet styrene and give them a quick shot of gray primer so look like aged asphalt.

Howdy .

Chet ... Nice photo. Mountains were created so train can run through tem.
Today ... Our youngest grand daughter has her 5th birthday. .... There will be a family party for her Saturday. So, we'll be traveling starting tomorrow, and I won't have much computer time for about a week.

Below is a photo for Santa Fe Willie to see.

FM2.jpg

I was just thinking dirt or gravel maybe. Maybe even as simple as cutting my poster board pieces close enough and spray painting them gray. Honestly, I'm in new territory on this one when it comes to the model world.
All advice and tips are more than welcome.
I do have a tree making kit on the way - ala David/LASM video.
E

That works also....me, I like to experiment with new, for me, techniques and ideas. These 2 pics show the paved in loading area of my little switching layout...very easy to do. But you could use gravel or make it dirt also. image.jpgimage.jpg

Morning!
3f and clouds. Wind has died down.
Another train day for me!

Thanks for the comments ,guys!

Garry: Your photo didn't show up in WPF.

Big E: I also use styrene for roads. For sale signs from a big box or hardware store.The bigger the sign, the thicker the styrene. I use thick ones for roads and the 12"x12" or so to go between the rails.

003_zpsgeypa70d.jpg

002_zpsd2yvxv6y.jpg

001_zpsfbkb9330.jpg

Hope that helps!

I also hope NG comes back. I like his enthusiasm!!
I can't answer any decoder questions. I pay a guy to install and trouble shoot mine! LOL!!

That's all for now!

Terry in NW Wisconsin

It's clear, 50 degrees, calm winds. Got as high as 93 here yesterday .. we skipped spring!
Today is forecast for 88, and it is supposed to start a cooling trend over the next week of 10-12 degrees.
There is no ..I REPETE .. NO RAIN forecast for the next 10 days. WAAA! I want my El Nino back! So much for all those dire consequences of flooding and such that all the politicians' were screaming about a few months ago. OK, on to the next crisis .. California is always in some sort of crisis. Oh Yeah! Stay tuned for the "Unstoppable gas well leak". That ought to about stop all hydrocarbon production in the State if the savetheplanet people have their way. OK, I'm done .. more coffee!

KARL Thanks so much for the decoder information. I, like JOE, had not really thought about the motors and loading possibly being part of the problem. Thanks to all who helped supply my small brain with understanding something about DCC.

GENE: If I may ask .. What size is your switching layout in the photos? Is that a wheel that I see on the left corner?
If it is: What a neat idea for moving around.

More absolutely stunning photos folks! GARRY, are those SF C-Liners, or PA's? I can't tell for sure. Grills on the sides seem to look like C-Liners to me?

Wow, great photos. Garry, Terry and Gene. Thanks for posting. Terry, I have seen some of your videos and they are really nice. You should post some here.

Back