Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLV

Good Evening Gents:

Back from Edison. The place was filled with vendors, over 700, and it appeared that the show drew a large crowd. As we walked through the lot we passed happy people carrying large (O Scale) boxes of treasures. Many of the vendors were "toy" vendors selling Seasonal merchandise, not necessarily related to trains. This is not a "scale" show like Timonium is. Several of my favorite HO vendors were not there, those that were for the most part had their prices marked up. There were deals, but not necessarily what I was looking for. And quite a bit of estate sale junk "bundled" and sold as "sets". There were also numerous vendors selling "Vintage" and "rare" Model power products for what I considered a premium price. The good news is that I have all the budgeted "train show money", so I will take a drive down to the LHS at "Point Beach" next week.

It was good to get out of the house on a Saturday, for a change.

Joe

Good evening. Upper 30's with moderate cloud cover here in central MD.

Joe - I went to my first and last Greenburg show back in the early '90s, was totally underwhelmed. Nowadays even the Timonium shows don't excite me the way they once did. Probably the only show worth visiting is Amhearst, but that's quite a long haul from where I live.

Garry - I saw the cover of the January MR and I thought it was a scene from your layout. Closer reading of the caption told me it was the MR staff's latest N-scale-on-a-door project layout.

On the subject of hobby mags: I picked up my first issue of RMC since they were taken over by White River, and I have to admit I'm impressed! Seems like there's a lot more color on the pages than I remember seeing during the Carstens era. This issue caught my eye because they have an article in there about weathering B&O diesels that were leased to CNJ.

I finished building/installing my roundhouse today, and now I suddenly have a case of the "now what?" blues. I'm still planning to add a Walthers Boiler House/Machine Shop to the area, but that kit is on order and won't be in my hands until later next week. Wait a minute, I know what I'll do: Paint that BLMA built-up yard office, change it's color to tan with dark brown trim. Then it won't look like cheap plastic anymore.

Hi gang!

I've got almost all my supplies for the garage overhaul, cept the help! The 2 strong men I had coming had to move the work till next weekend. I was pre-empted by their weekly jobs. I cant complain, its free help!! :rolleyes: Then SWMBO and I went to the "Habitat for Humanity Re-store" , where they sell all kinds of building materials. We went in for a small cabinet,,wound up with that plus 4 floor level vanity type cabinets. 2 with doors, 2 with 3 drawers each. Only 1 problem, we were driving my car!!. Had to leave 2 of them there, so we'll get the rest tomorrow. I've got a counter that will fit the top (After I paint them red to match the toolboxes!!) The Arbor Day foundation finally sent me the trees I purchased back in August, so tomorrow we'll also plant them. Maybe I'll get to the trains tomorrow afternoon!

113- Found pics of the only Western Maryland locos to wear a 13

pic087-1shp.jpg

G38.jpg

WMscan009.JPG

HAGERSTOWN001-1.JPG

632.jpg

Thats enough kids, see ya in the A.M.!!

Almost forgot....wish you all a pleasant Thanksgiving!

Can't think of another railroad, that used EMD E's in freight service...

IMG_20141130_063011_zps3smzj5vv.jpg

Photo Mark Llanuza..

pouring_coffee1-Copy.png

Good Morning! Today is Sun 11/30/14.

Chance of showers with a high of 62. Probably working around the house today.

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

TRAIN_ROUNDANDROUND.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Nice one, can't beat old school, getting a scrub that is....EMD or GE??

6235.1396838812_zpspgnkivz3.jpg

It’s not a good sign when one is waiting for the next subject to enter his viewfinder and it turns out to be a derrick work train. That assuredly indicates the line is blocked with a derailment and one might as well fold up his tripod unless, of course, the work train had completed its mission and was headed home. But with two flat cars still full of track panels, was CN 4213 and 4317 taking the derrick and its associated old work cars to the problem or returning home as they crossed the Thompson River to exchange river banks with the CP at Cisco, B.C. June 20, 1975?

Good morning everyone!

42 with clear skies in south east Baltimore.

113 you have out done yourself! Fantastic picture!

Time for my weekly trip to the grocery store.

Have a great day everybody!

Time for another cup of Java I think....anyone needs a refill?

This has quickly become one of my favourite GM&O pics...

IMG_20141130_062056_zpsg8jp2elu.jpg

Photo by Mark Llanuza (I think)

Here's another nice one....by Mike Raia.

IMG_20141130_121849_zps7gilanai.jpg

Good morning

Ken ... Thanks for mentioning MR's project layout possibly looking like my layout. That is a nice complement from you.
Sherrell ... You know what I mean about GM&O. Grimy, Muddy, and Oily
Joe ... Glad you had a good day at the Edison show.
MR 113 .... Regarding the EL E8's hauling freight. That was a typical practice after Amtrak took over passenger operations. There were many surplus passenger locomotives demoted to freight service. I recall seeing an EL train with an Alco PA1 as its lead unit hauling a train into Chicago.

Below is a photo of a Burlington E7 and GP40 hauling a freight train. It was soon after Amtrak was created and the Burlington Northern merger had taken place. So it is a BN freight train. The E7 is almost as dirty as a GM&O unit. Sadly, the CB&Q Zephyrs were history.

CBQE7GP40_zpsf9a6cf6f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning All,

Had a nice time at the club last night. I have several honey-do's to do day today that will probably occupy most the day.

I am ripping up the mountain with the tunnel on the opposite side of the layout from my last project. I was fiddling with the track and kinked it. I needed to adjust that curve and the only way to do it right is to remove the mountain. I have tried that several times with the mountain in place and I am not happy with the results. The kinked rail makes me remove the mountain because of course that section is under the mountain. I doubt if I will put the mountain back and will probably figure out some other scenery for that area.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Good Morning Group: Happy Sunday!

It's already 48°, and if it stays sunny, it might get warm enough to do some spray painting out back. I have a passenger car roof and truck sides to repaint.

The EL was notorious for using passenger power in freight service. When the U boats arrived to haul NJDOT's then new Comet cars, they ran freight assignments over the weekend, rather than sit idle.

Ken: The last really good train show I attended in Jersey was held at the old CNJ station along the Hudson in Jersey City, late 1980s, right after we came here. Great atmosphere, lots of vendors, a Jazz Band, watching a cruise ship leaving for parts unknown. The old Greenberg show in Pensauken, down in South Jersey was pretty good also. However, it's been years since either show has existed. All that's left here is what I attended yesterday, plus a couple of small "swap meets". I haven't bothered to drive down to Timonium for several years now. If I go it's for a day out.

Today, we get the Advent decor out, and put the fall stuff away for another season.

Watched the Maple Leafs humiliate the Caps last night, Devils also lost to the Islanders. Cant decide which team is more pitiful........:mad:. However, the Ravens are on NY TV today, on CBS, at the same time the Football G'nats will be losing in Jacksonville.

Enjoy the day.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently 15 below. It is a bit brisk outside.

attachment.php

Yesterday at 8:30 AM it was 51 degrees and in two and a half hours the temperature dropped to 14 above. We got a few inches of snow over night, but I can't seem to get the energy up to go outside and plow. Maybe tomorrow,

This picture is pre BN merger. It is the Northern Pacific Z-5 Yellowstone. I did get to take a couple of trips over Bozeman Pass when I was 10 on these giants. Helper duty over the pass was their last duties before getting scrapped. Having ridden in this locomotive was my inspiration of getting a brass model of this locomotive. Picked it up about 20 years ago and custom painted it. Even though I don't get to run it very often, the model does bring back a lot of memories.

attachment.php

Garry ... When I was a wee sprout, used to visit relatives in Shreveport- quite a lot of GMO activity there at the time.
I think that they bought them from EMD that way .. I don't remember ever seeing a clean unit in real life!

In their defense .. A neighbor who worked for the GMO and had a "summer place" down the road from where I grew up .. Knew that I liked trains ... Gave me one of the large EMD builders photo of ABA F-3's .. I was 6 at the time. It has survived 10-11 moves in 7 states during my career. I still have it hanging above the desk.

Correction: the builders photo is only an A-A set of GM&O. Probably the only time that they were clean!
The MARX set was my first electric train .. 1947 vintage.
image.jpg

Back