Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if anybody is on the hunt, but I'm having another of my motive power purges.
This time, it's several HO scale UP engines.

Good morning everyone. 40 here heading for 53. 70% chance of rain today, 100% tonight, 90% tomorrow, then the sun comes out on Sunday!! The predicted ice/freezing rain event didn't happen last night, as I figured it wouldn't.

Excuse me - time for coffee. My pot's finished perking. I tried K-cups for well over a year, but I don't like them. So I brought our old coffee pot in to work and now I brew my own right at my desk. Much better, in my opinion anyway.

Trigster - your layout is looking good! Keep going!

Got the screws yesterday and screwed down most of the expansion area (about 14' X 2'). There are two sections I have to cut but it was too rainy and too cold to go out to the wood shop - I don't have any heat out there. Will probably have to buy a space heater big enough to make a dent in winter cold for next year 'cause there are times I want to do some work out there in winter and can't.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 36° and cloudy with light showers in the vicinity. There is .15" in the gauge this morning after .45" yesterday. Of course it rained mainly while I was making the 50 mile round trip for groceries/beer. Went without Internet for a while yesterday due to tree limbs crashing down power lines, don't know the connection but that's what the ISP told my wife. Our DSL is all underground wiring. I did see quite a few downed branches and trees while I was out and of course my yard is a disaster under that one tree. It was interesting being out in the yard yesterday afternoon (but not under any trees), when melting ice cascaded down through the branches gaining volume as it went. The noise was sometimes quite loud. Meanwhile the whole place is mushy as the cold water is rather slow about running off. I checked my pond and it did indeed fill up Wednesday.
Out in the train shed, I only ran trains and filled up the new yard with trains running in and out to test all track possibilities both forward and reverse with various engine sets. All turnouts seem to be working well in both directions so it appears that I can safely install the ground throws next week. Of course I don't have enough, (didn't think that I did anyway), which means it's time to plan another trip to the LHS for goodies. The last time that I went, I had some Evergreen styrene stuff on my list, but I don't remember why I had it there, so it's just resided on a shelf since then! I'll remember some day. Took a small break to assemble a very old (I've had it since the 80's at least) two-bay covered hopper kit from Roundhouse. I had been priming and painting the metal underframe for a few days now to break the monotony of track installation.

Johnny - Lucky you in that Mother Nature has spared you from the brunt of these weather front(s). They seem to be coming in N from the Gulf and swirling about around here and then moving ENE just south of your location. Regarding power outages, there have been two off/on ones here that screw with all of the electronic devices (clocks, desktop etc), but several major ones north of here closer to the Oklahoma side of the county. The city of Gainesville TX where my wife works had some major areas without power. She didn't bother going in to work yesterday since their office didn't have power until after 1500.
Chet - Toot has been posting around, Louis is probably resting from work and moving. The cynical fellow that I miss is Beady. Haven't seen a post from him since Labor Day or so. Despite some of his unorthodox views, I really enjoyed his sense of humor and the interaction with him.
Joe - Yeah! The cleanup is going to have to wait until things dry up for a bit. It will be a little worse once those branches that are caught up in the higher parts of the tree decide to come down, hopefully without my help getting up there. I really need to invest in one of those chainsaws on a pole some day. Nice looking parlor car.
Sherrel -
I am sending buckets! Please fill them and return?
Would you like that shaken or stirred? No fish in the pond, it dries up nearly every year as I only made it 8.5' deep. But I'll start to see various species of birds like egrets, herons, ducks and geese in about two weeks. I can view them from the two windows on the north side of the train shed without disturbing them. There will be a number of turtles as well, I have no clue where they go when it is dry.
Karl - I am not into steam, but that is one fine looking locomotive you scored there.
Curt - No pictures yet, especially after you made fun of the last one.:D For a change, the camera was in the house and I didn't get one before I filled it up with freight cars.
Paul - Now's the time to paint that track. I use a rattle can of Model Master's Light Earth for track and ties, then go back and touch up a few random ties with some shades of brown and gray. In the era that I model, ATSF replaced all ties at the same time so there usually wasn't much variance in color. I spray about 2-3 feet at a time and immediately wipe off the rail tops with a paper towel before the paint dries.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning. Starting the day off at +1 degrees today. Guess it netter than being in the negative numbers.

Joe - That is a beautiful parlor car. Rapido sure puts out some excellent passenger equipment. Second to none. A bit pricey, but I think it is well worth the investment. Having ridden on a number of passenger train when I was a kid, I am really drawn to them. With the type of railroad I have I am really limited to what would really have shown up on a railroad set in a rural area. Again, that is an outstanding car.

Trig - It seems like you are moving ahead. Good planning at the start will make a lot of difference in the future. Looks good.

Ken in MD - You got 'er done. Hope you'll have a chance to take some photos during the ops session.

Eric -
Send some of thwarm air up here. We could use it.

Johnny - We really enjoy our coffee a lot at home. We have been using a Cuisanart coffee maker with the timer that grinds the beans. On the weekends, we'll put some of the premium coffee beans in. I really like Kona coffee. A one cup brewer wouldn't be of much use for us.

Here's a rail picture for today.

05278d41e1a2d2001bd264ced3e04dfd.jpg

Later

Willie - You're correct about the weather patterns lately. We keep an eye on Texas weather since most of my wife's family lives in East Texas. We have indeed dodged the bullet this winter in this part of the country. I remember the January 2007 ice storm that hit here, though. We had just moved here from Florida (yeah - people still ask us why the heck we would move from Florida to Missouri). Main answer - job! But what's the difference: hurricanes and sinkholes or tornadoes and ice storms?!?! :confused: Anyway, that year we lost power for 8 days, and I hadn't bought a generator yet! We lost 28 trees on our property!!! So much debris I couldn't handle it all so had a local company come in and cut it up and haul everything but the oak which I let season for a couple of years and then burned in the fireplace. The whole city shut down for several days. I couldn't get out of our long inclined driveway for two days (we moved since then to where we are now, which is still wooded but no inclined drive!). People around here still talk about the ice storm of '07. Hopefully never again!

Good morning, Happy Friday! 37° with rain.

KenMD, Willie, and Chet: Thanks for the compliments on the Parlor car.

Chet: My layout was supposed to be freight only. However...I have a great affinity for passenger trains, dating back to when I would see the Southbound "Florida Special", and Northward, (mostly Heavyweight), "Miamian" passing while I walked back to school after lunch. Over the course of the build, I have managed to sneak them back in to my layout. Now, I'm redesigning the passenger terminal in the RMC project commuter railroad, to accommodate 5 car trains. RDCs are neat, but running the FL9 and 3 cars is much neater, FL9 and 5 cars would definitely be more better. Now, how to add 24" to the staging...:rolleyes:

Willie: I still have branches on the ground from late summer. Need a couple of nice days to clean things up, and I have minimal space to clean up. The trees give up broken branches every time we get a strong wind. Now, bulbs and perennials are poking through the ground. We still have a month of winter left. he most amazing thing about the recent weather pattern was that Sherrel has been getting our weather, while we were getting SoCal temperatures. Seems like it's back to normal now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. Starting the day off at +1 degrees today. Guess it netter than being in the negative numbers.

Joe - That is a beautiful parlor car. Rapido sure puts out some excellent passenger equipment. Second to none. A bit pricey, but I think it is well worth the investment. Having ridden on a number of passenger train when I was a kid, I am really drawn to them. With the type of railroad I have I am really limited to what would really have shown up on a railroad set in a rural area. Again, that is an outstanding car.

Trig - It seems like you are moving ahead. Good planning at the start will make a lot of difference in the future. Looks good.

Ken in MD - You got 'er done. Hope you'll have a chance to take some photos during the ops session.

Eric -
Send some of thwarm air up here. We could use it.

Johnny - We really enjoy our coffee a lot at home. We have been using a Cuisanart coffee maker with the timer that grinds the beans. On the weekends, we'll put some of the premium coffee beans in. I really like Kona coffee. A one cup brewer wouldn't be of much use for us.

Here's a rail picture for today.

View attachment 65417

Later

Chet - my pot here at work does 2-4 cups. That usually gets me through the morning. We have another one at home - don't remember what its capacity is. Yes, Kona is good. I've got a variety of coffees pre-ground but have a grinder that I can use. Some of the Churchill coffees are good. Starbucks has a mocha that I like, too. Whenever I get back to Colombia (South America) I'll bring back some of their coffee - best I've ever had!! I'll drink tea occasionally, too. The best I've ever had is Kenyan. Brought back several boxes when I was in Nairobi several years ago for a conference. Hope to get back some day and buy some more 'cause we ran out last year.:(

Good morning gang

40° and drizzly today. Gonna hang here until about 1, then have to go to the new doctors.......my regular GP retired. :( Had to fill out a 20 page questionnaire last night. Total joy. My old Doc and I had a 40 year history together, plus he was a MRR to boot! I'm gonna miss having a DR like that,

Glad you guys approve of my latest acquisition , its gonna put a rear squeeze on the display case, but I can deal with it!:rolleyes::cool:

kEN for S&G's I may bring the 2-10-0 to the op session! :cool:

Joe nice parlor car.......I have several Rapido cars (D&H) gorgeous!

Gotta get back to work,,,,,,BBL!

Funny..... walking to the beer store and who blows by me is none other than Larry.
He offered me a job on the spot. I don't honestly don't know how my body could hold up for a full day but he's willing to work around that. Apparrently he can't find help he can depend on with skills.
We'll see how it goes.
Never the less, I got a free ride to the beer store and back. ;)

Figure I need to check in. Ain't said anything these past few days. It's finally Friday! Should be finished getting my track laid this weekend. I'm not posting updates because the layout is a complete mess right now. I have snap track sections laying everywhere as I'm using them as templates for my road bed. So once I get it all cleaned up I'll share. I'll have to do up my wiring still as well. I'd much rather get everything laid before I take on wiring my feeders and buss wires.

Justin

Ok I can't stand it.........
I prefer getting laid before hooking up all wired up as well. :cool:

Afternoon All,

Spent about 5 hours running errands and have been sitting on my backside since. Watching the grandkids all weekend again.

Joe- Nice looking parlor car.

Ken- Thank you for your kind words.

Willie- I must have CRS...when did I make fun of one of your train photos?

Chet- Nice rail shot. It reminds me of a Gerry Raferty music video I watched.

Johnny- I have found that strong coffee affects my sleep. I have a cup of light in the morning and about mid afternoon a cup of decaf. In my younger days I could drink coffee until it gave me the shakes and still sleep like a baby, but those days are gone:(.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Haven't been on today - trying to get a few things accomplished. Been back and forth to the auto mechanics most all day -neighbors car had to be dropped off - then picked up later on and taken to another shop, then about 2pm my mechanic called and said to come get the car ...drive it a min of 60 miles and if the ck eng light stays out then he will get it passed the smog test on Tuesday. If he is successful, I will have avoided replacing the cat converter. I have been with him for 28 years and he has saved me many times - great guy.

Read yesterday that Montana is the coldest place to live in the US. Mark might disagree with the temps he has had lately?
DANG - It's so cold here that I might have to put on a long sleeve shirt tonight!

I'd love to Chet, 'cept I usually have my hands full keeping the train traffic under control. However, my friend Keith will be shooting photos for an RPM clinic that features my layout as one of his case studies. I'll see if I can get him to share some of those pics ahead of time.

kEN for S&G's I may bring the 2-10-0 to the op session! :cool:
Sure, go ahead and bring it Karl - but I'm not sure how "steam friendly" my trackwork is. Four-axle diesels are a lot more tolerant of less-than-perfect track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back