Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stumbled onto this pic this morning. Me and my little girl about three years ago. Maybe four. She is still the same way when it comes to trains. She will watch em go and ask a gazillion questions about everything. But! She can run them too just as well as me.
7ebf5db80d084f146120c432f0e71c41.jpg

Justin

Justin. A picture like that makes this forum very worthwhile. Thanks for sharing .

Good evening gents.

Justin - what an excellent picture, thanx for sharing it!

Terry - sorry to hear about your difficult day. Funerals are always tough.

keN in M. You're going to have to do a lot of shimming or sanding a piece of cork into a long wedge to support that track to stop it sinking.

Ken in MD - Are you able to add shims of some type to fill the space before ballasting?

Ken in MD - As suggested, shims will probably solve the problem. At least you aren't uncoupling now. Good detective work to find the problem, Make me feel lucky that I model the transition era, with the exception of 4 50' box cars, everything else is 40 footers...

...KenMD: I feel you're pain, every time I try to fix something it opens up another can of worms. Would it be helpful to shim first, then drop your ballast, and then run over it and let it settle, before gluing it? Not model railroad conventional, but similar to railroad engineering practice. ...

...Ken- I was going to recommend shimming the rails but several people have beat me to it.

Shims? Ahh yes, I'd already put in LOTS of 'em along the entire length - no more than a half inch of space between any two sets of them! But right now, shims are the least of my worries.

I think Murphy got bored hanging around Terry's house and decided to take up residence in my trainroom.

~2 feet south of the newly-shimmed track, I noticed that my locos kept snagging when they were moving northbound. There was nothing immediately visible when I examined that spot, where a section of flex track connected to the diverging rail of a turnout. The joint looked like it was slightly kinked, so I tore up the section of flex track.

DefectiveTurnout.jpg

But when I got a brand-new, perfectly straight piece of flex track and connected it to the turnout, and tried rolling the loco over it, the 'snag' was still there. I tried filing down the frog where I thought it was catching - I couldn't see exactly what was happening because it was on the side of the loco facing away from me - but that didn't help. So, I reluctantly ripped out the turnout as well:

DefectiveTurnoutRemoved.jpg

Better to concede defeat now and replace it with a Peco, than drive myself nuts trying to fix a worn-out 20-year-old Atlas turnout. (I don't want Sherrell to have to send the whitecoats chasing after me..!) This wasn't exactly what I had envisioned myself doing this weekend. Oh well, s**t happens...

Justin - That is a wonderful photo!
Just try to keep it in mind when she gets to the teen years and the hormones are flowing!
I speak from 2 daughters with first wife and 3 step daughters with my current Spousal Unit ,,, all grown with their own now!

Just had our own lightning and thunder event here for the evening. Moved off to the north and putting on a light show over the mountains just up there, called the Glasshouse Mountains. Some long strings coming back down, both below and above the clouds, virtually no breaks between flashes. You wonder how it can generate all that electricity, what a shame we can't capture it

Back down to -15 this morning. Wind 7 MPH out of the West, giving a Wind Chill of -32. Coming up will be highs in the upper Teens to low 20s, so this is a bit more normal for us. Still watching the Winter Olympics and not doing much in the basement. Have a great day everyone!

That's the way, Terry! It's what keeps up going.
I'm so sorry about your work friend. She fought it for quite a while.

God morning, everyone. 35 and overcast here in SW MO. Will hit only 41 and partly sunny this afternoon. Still saying chance of snow tonight. Climbing to 70 by Monday. I'm starting to puke on this roller coaster!

Justin - Memories - - there's nothing like great memories.
Terry - Sorry about those flashbacks at the funeral. Yes, today WILL be better.

MBKlein order came in yesterday, but decided to watch the Olympics. Granddaughter #2 (the 1 1/2 year old) comes today to spend the weekend with Grandma and Grandpa. I'm geared up for that!! At least I'll have an excuse to take her to the train room and run some trains for a while. Otherwise not much will get done this weekend. Still need to buy some plywood and pilfer some tarpaper.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 53° and cloudy. Two hours ago it was 63° and we're going to continue to drop all day to the upper 30's by this time tomorrow. There is a 25-30 mph stiff north wind right now that will thankfully reduce in velocity as the day goes on. Spent a lot of time running errands and doing stuff outdoors while it was very warm, 79° was the high yesterday. The forecast is for a week of rain beginning Saturday, however after today the temperature will be in the 60°+ range for the highs. While I was at Wally World, I found some broccoli plants that were just right for the garden. After the winds die down this afternoon they will go into the garden before the predicted rain tomorrow. I am still well within the proper range for planting...last year, 02-10. Pay attention Sherrel.
Due to all of my other activity yesterday, I wasn't in the train shed long enough to do any real project work, so I dusted off some more freight cars and ran trains. With the upcoming weather forecast, it looks like a lot more time will be spent out there.

Johnny - That is an extreme age for using those firemen! A note to think about if it matters, those Faller figures tend to have European type clothing and appearances. You might try Walther's or Woodland Scenics for more Americanized figures. I did see this yesterday while looking at the Faller figures.
https://www.amazon.com/Preiser-1770...896&sr=1-10&keywords=ho+scale+firemen+figures

Chet - That is quite a light show in that rail picture yesterday.
Curt - Happy Birthday to your Dad and daughter.
Mark - How's your wife doing?
Justin - Great picture.

Regarding the recent Florida school shooting. Being that it was a high school it might not have any bearing, but in Texas, teachers (and students over 21) are allowed to conceal-carry in university classrooms. Given the state's attitude, if a high school teacher stopped an active shooter, it's unlikely that charges would be filed against that teacher anyway. It's sad that society has gotten to this point though.

Everybody have a great day and also have a great weekend.

Willie

Good morning fellers. Thanks for the kind compliments on my photo. I look back on this picture with great fondness. This was before a layout was even built. Hard to believe how much fun just throwing an oval of track down and just watch a train go. I don't expect my daughter to always be involved in the hobby. I know I wasn't always into the hobby. Especially during my mid to late teens. Like I said awhile back I was out of the hobby until I was around 22-23. In which when I came back I started out with an atlas starter set. A pair of AHM locomotives and a fallen flags freight car set from roundhouse. Then came my SD9 from life like. Good times. I try not to watch too much about the Florida school shooting. Being a dad and an army veteran it really brings my temper out of me. Especially because the signs were everywhere! This is a trend that needs snuffed out like yesterday!

Justin

Good morning. Flo, could you bring a bear claw with the coffee please. 19 degrees to start off the day. The forecast has the temps going sun zero in a few days. Guess I'll be there with Mark.

Justin - Great photo. I am really happy that she likes trains.

Terry - does not sound like a day you would want to do over.

Ken in MD
- It does sound like Murphy paid you a visit. Hope that replacing the turnout fixes the problem. I am not very familiar with Atlas turnouts. Most of mine are either hand laid of are from Shinohara, but I do have four Atlas Custom Line turnouts in code 83 in my hidden staging area. When I was building this part of the layout many years ago, I couyldn't find any Shinohara #6 turnouts any where on the planet. Transitioned from code 70 to code 83 in the hidden areas and used Atlas code 83 flex track. Never had a problem one with them. Still have a few sticks of code 83 flex hanging around somewhere.

Good news on the tournament front. There is a bowling tournament up in Lewistown this weekend. LADIES ONLY. SAVED . Wouldn't mind going up there just to ride on the dinner train but there is nothing scheduled for this weekend. Just me and the dogs at home this weekend. Maybe I can get a couple of layout projects worked on.

Here's a rail picture for today.

blog-journey-derailment.jpg

Later

Left work at 4pm yesterday and set out for Detroit, MI. Got in here at my brother's house at 2am just north east of Detroit.
I'm here for a friends funeral. Known him for 45 years.

Good morning, everybody ...

Ken in MD ..... apparently, you have a challenging project getting the track working right. It only takes a tiny imperfection to derail some trains.

Chet.... Sounds like you have a weekend ahead to work on trains. Enjoy the time.

Mark .... Glad to here you and your wife are on the mend.

Ken in VA.... Sorry to hear about your frying passing away. I'm familiar with the area NE of Detroit (Macomb County).

Here is photo I took riding on Amtrak west of Denver in 2005.

34965377464_9b15833686_b.jpg

Good Morning Everyone....sunny but cold here in Wisconsin. All the snow has melted off the roof. Finishing phase two of the storage room organizing today. 12 more boxes from U Haul to fill and store. My wife's uncle has a neat basement storage area for his wife's X-Mas decor. Everything labeled and in boxes of the same size for easy storage. She has a huge collection of vintage Christmas decor. Last house was in several national magazines on home decorating.

Trains tomorrow for sure!!!

That's all for now.

Greg

Some great photos on the Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back