Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a pretty good idea of how to attack this. I have a plan now that I wish I had before. Now to just put it into motion. I only have 25 operational hoppers anyways. Sooooo big coal trains are not on my heavy to do list. Also judging by manufacturer prices I don't for see any new additions in the near future. So small is good. I'm going to build my old layout with my changes added to it. What I would do better. Now to get it going.

Justin

OK, Morning is already about over - so sue me! 62 DEGREES AT THE MOMENT HEADED TO 75! No cloud cover and no wind, (lemmi see) correction to that: West at 5 mph - but looking out the window shows nothing moving?

I think we need to change the 'Coffee Shop' to 'Poor Justin's Almanac'!
I know, I know, Justin - It;s not at all funny to you at all, but you have to get this thing under control. The way you are acting is exactly what got you to this place in the beginning - slow down!
Several people have asked you for information .. take a moment and answer them? Gene44 : are you stuck on the 4x8 and unable to expand? Willie: what happened to the "doughnut" plan? speaking of which -- where is it located -- I spent an hour last night looking for it; I may want to see if it will fill the bill for me?

TOOT .. I have Win10 on two laptops and other than the ASUS being extremely slow when updating, I have had none of your experiences, but I have decided that I don't want any of them either! lol

Ok here goes. I'm griping because of where I'm at. As I had previously mentioned before I even started the build the wife is involved. She pretty much pointed me in the direction I'm in now. Am I satisfied? No. I am only griping here the same as the last build. I already know I won't be running trains for quite some time. The same as last time. Difference this time is I did better bench work. A lot better! The dough nut I wanted it so bad I could taste it. I wouldn't be able to do the plan I drew up. Sooooo the area I thought I had I couldn't get. As it stands there's only a small area in front of my layout that is an available walk way. So I would have only gained wider curves but still small space to model. If you look at the plan most of it is only a foot wide. So everything would be on the wide section. Now the wife does the budget. She watches it like a hawk. In all honesty she isn't the biggest fan of our hobby. It's too expensive in her eyes. This includes the table itself. Why most of my present bench work is recycled. I should be blessed that I have what I have. It's not what I planned but I can deal with it. In all honesty Im just looking to vent. I would go in to more detail as to what led to the build that I have. Of course there are other avenues I could take. Save a few bucks here and there and I'm not ruling that out. I haven't ran a train one as of yet and most likely won't for some time. And I'll be a big grouch when I don't get my way. But I'll do what I do and start over. Eventually a plan will fall into place. That's how it happened the last time. This time will be the same I'm sure.

Justin

Afternoon All,

Going to be chilly here all week. Did some chores earlier but just didn't feel like starting the interlocking machine today, so I'm just being lazy. Dad's coming to the house Wednesday and my son, him and me are going to the range. Thursday I'm meeting up with Phil and Tom, and on Saturday I'm meeting another group of modeling friends in the downtown area of Orlando.

Chet- Great insight and pictures.

Louis- I hope you feel better soon.

New Guy- Great news on your shingles.

Trig- Great looking loco.

Justin- Look at as many track plans as possible for ideas (magazines and online). When I first built I rushed and it ended costing me a bunch of money to fix it. I still have one problem area (22.5 inch radius) that I couldn't fix without completely ripping out the TT and RH area which isn't going to happen in this lifetime. That is the reason I moved away from large steam.

Joe- You're absolutely correct. Great picture.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Justin...again...are you restricted to using a 4x8 table or do you have the room to use a 2x16 foot table or bolt a table to the walls?
I didn't mean to over look you. I do apologize. At the present moment I'm confined to my sacred sheet. So I have to make the best of 4x8.

Justin

Johnny - A friend of mine has three different copies of this NYC hist. soc. mags listed. Thought you might be interested.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NYC-New-Yo...294160?hash=item2f135c8810:g:hAgAAOSwbtNaTEiM

Terry Another friend is looking for a U25b (DC version) - got one?
Looking for a B/Y Stewart loco with the Athearn chassis. These are older kits that were available years ago.

Am still looking for the "doughnut plan"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Johnny - A friend of mine has three different copies of this NYC hist. soc. mags listed. Thought you might be interested.

Terry Another friend is looking for a U25b (DC version) - got one?
Looking for a B/Y Stewart loco with the Athearn chassis. These are older kits that were available years ago.

Am still looking for the "doughnut plan"?
That plan would work but.....3/4 is only a foot wide. It's a duck under in which I'm not going to be young forever. The dough nut plan I did really like but there are aspects of it I had to consider.

Justin

How this fits on a four by eight I'll never know.
2b2bb9c41c93e7ca8973ad73e8bee55b.jpg

Justin

Hello All...I was quite successful yesterday at doing almost absolutely nothing except watch Football...Although I did make
a rather tasty batch of Chicken Salad that I just happen to have enough left over for lunch...Skipped the Train completely !!!
With the small related exception that I did set-up a YouTube account...So maybe future up-dates might be videos...We'll see...

Justin...Just keep peck'in away at it and there's always tomorrow...Ain't Nuth'in Got'a Be Done Today !!!...I've been kafutz'in
around for 2 months now and just barely have the Board finished and a small test section powered up...Take your time and do
remember it's your layout and needs to have those components that are important to you !!! ;)

Everybody have a Good Day...Trig :D

Justin...Just saw your post...I think that's a great layout !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't mean to over look you. I do apologize. At the present moment I'm confined to my sacred sheet. So I have to make the best of 4x8.

Justin

ok..so if you are restricted to the sacred sheet how about dividing the sheet in half with a view block that also functions as backdrop. Holes cut in either end of the viewblock disguised as tunnels,overpasses etc. One side is your mine/rural area and the other is urban/town which acts as the receiver for your mine/rural areas produce. Run the backdrop either right down the centre of the 4x8 or diagonally corner-to-corner.
Having said all that, I still find the 4x8 concept rather limiting and believe you might find a 2x16 or even a 2x8 if space is really limited more suitable for a fun layout.

ok..so if you are restricted to the sacred sheet how about dividing the sheet in half with a view block that also functions as backdrop. Holes cut in either end of the viewblock disguised as tunnels,overpasses etc. One side is your mine/rural area and the other is urban/town which acts as the receiver for your mine/rural areas produce. Run the backdrop either right down the centre of the 4x8 or diagonally corner-to-corner.
Having said all that, I still find the 4x8 concept rather limiting and believe you might find a 2x16 or even a 2x8 if space is really limited more suitable for a fun layout.
I am planning a view block. What you said just now is exactly what I plan to do.

Justin

doughnut plan that Justin wants

View attachment 65009
We seem to keep hitting on this....y'all do realize I failed in the negotiation process for this layout. At any rate aside from the fact it's a duck under layout. Make note too that most of this layout is only a foot wide.....12 inches ain't much. And the one real wide section is just about the only spot I can do anything....only pitfalls I see with it.

Justin

What you see in this picture is located in a space of 14 inchesX9ft. long. I’m only posting this to illustrate that you can fit quite a bit of operational capability into less space than one might think of. Not only does it have a nice variety of modelling and scenicing work that has gone into making this but there a lot of operating potential that can be seen in the pic. Btw..this is not my layout.

5EDD32A8-003E-4B94-891A-69B4A7D603A4.jpeg

Justin: Lets put it this way. Today, you have limitations, that may or may not be present in the future. Keep an open mind. If you have room for a 4x8, you have room to build a 1' to 18" x 8 module, one leg of your donut plan. When that's done, expand. Your wife is concerned about finances now. You just got a better job, that pays more, In time, that will bear fruit. Your world and outlook will look different. When she sees the concept of using modules is not a space eater, she will change her mind about what you are doing.

I stubbornly stuck with the Island (table) layout for entirely too long. It occupied 5' x 12' not counting extensions, and I still was unhappy, because the trains were still chasing their tail ends. Finally, I stopped beating my head into the wall, and demolished the whole thing. I started with 2'x 12' against the wall. It's now up to 45' in length, around the wall, no wider than 28" in depth.
The track plan is what I want, and it works. I have one crossover to reverse, and some wiring to finish, but I'm almost ready for basic scenery. I still have roughly 20' to build, without encroaching the center of the basement. I also have plenty of room under the railroad for book shelves and storage. The rest of the room is open. When done, I'll have a full scale mile to run over (62'), runarounds, sidings and plenty to do. I started this build during the summer of 2016, and I'm not there yet.

Moral of stories. I lived through a lot of what you describe about yourself and situation. I learned the art of compromise and patience, and have for the first time, a workable layout that resembles the railroads I lived near as I was growing up. I managed to compress four miles or prototype, into one scale mile of model railroad. Not sure how the last leg will work out yet, but it will be OK. Oh yeah, wife now actually likes the railroad, and doesn't complain about my purchases, as much. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back