Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my area, Metrocast is the only cable connector. Any other source will have to be by satellite.
Did another veggie juice this evening. I added some apple juice to it. Kind of ok. Then I tried the A1 Sauce in the veggie juice. Much better.

KenVA: That sort of limits your options, doesn't it? The only decent Internet Connections are Cable or FIOS, but if they are not available, you're sort of screwed. TV via satellite works very well, unless you have a stand of trees blocking the Southwest sky, like I do. I was paying Optimum $197 for "Value" cable TV plus a sports package, 60 MBPS internet and a landline phone. Added HBO and Showtime, and upped the Internet to 200 MBPS and cut my bill to $132.00 Go figure. That includes the phone and related charges. I tried HULU's Broadcast package but their BETA software just can't handle the service through Roku. I even bought a new Wifi router. still never worked for more than 40 minutes before going into endless buffer mode. So, I'm stuck with cable for now.

Good morning fellers. I have discovered my layout knows how to get my priorities in order. Attempted to work my yard and loadout. Man.....nothing went right! Something is going on with my track. I've cleaned the crap out of it! Still no change....wiring checks in my immediate future. However it's a more safe than sorry approach as I have a feeling my track is shorting out somewhere. These crap joiners keep coming loose or pinching somewhere. Very reason why I'm leaving sectional track behind on my next build.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good morning everyone. 58 and cloudy here in SW MO. Chance of rain today, high of 70 - then the bottom drops out - - 32 tonight, then 20's every night for the rest of the week, with daytime highs in the 30s. Flurries predicted for Friday. Hey Chet - - any chance you could get Montana Department of Transportation to close the south door? :confused: Welcome winter, i guess.

Yeah, I'm back - took a few days off and spent a couple of them in KC - one of our favorite "cheap getaway" places, although when you're Christmas shopping it isn't that cheap!! Did go to a place called Fred's Train Shop in Overland Park (south of KC) - found a couple of things the layout can't live without :)

Still making progress on MR-V, ballasting, and scenery. Got to remember to take a few photos to post.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. A warm 68°and cloudy to start the morning off. About 3 hours ago, they removed the rain from today's forecast, humidity is still 86% though. Despite the beautiful day yesterday, I only did minor stuff outside yesterday. Bummer! Apparently I left a door ajar on my Honda Civic, for three weeks, and the battery is absolutely dead. I'll deal with that later today.
Out in the train shed, I got some quality time late yesterday, Sunday is always a shortened day due to church in the morning. I made some cardstock wood fencing for one residence (townhouse) and installed the chain link fencing around the "firewood yard" at the BBQ restaurant. Added some more sidewalks to the business district and drew lines on the plywood for the small park that will be included there. I can see some light at the end of the tunnel...then I get to move across the main drag to start on the other side. Between the detail that I am adding and the fact that I currently am not spending a lot of time out there, this is going slowly. And of course, turning on the track power has a way of delaying things along with the holiday chores!

Chet - I forgot to mention yesterday that the Olds looks right at home on your layout.
Garry -
800 freight cars.... Wow.. you can run several long trains with that many.
This is true, but then I would have to put them back somewhere! LOL In reality, I generally run trains between 20 and 24 cars because that's the length of most of my passing sidings. I did try once about six months ago to see how many I could pull with a single Athearn Genesis F45 and it was 65 or so.
Sherrel - I too love eating at Outback. The steaks are great and the prime rib is outstanding. Last week I tried their Volcano Shrimp appetizer for the first time and was really impressed with it. By the way as Garry posted, how does one get worn out at a soccer game? Bored but not worn out!!!;)
Ken (D&J) - Interesting addition to a veggie drink, A1. Can't be too unhealthy since its (A1) primary ingredient is raisins.
Justin - Good Luck with the layout gremlins. Probably not a short if the rest of the layout is working. Loose joiner or wire somewhere is probably the culprit. I don't know how many feeders that you installed, but most of us (except Bruce) have them every three to six feet and on all spurs and sidings. Feeders are cheap and easy insurance. I think that we all learn the pitfalls of sectional track on our first layouts, so you are not alone.
Toot - I mentioned it a few weeks back that we hadn't heard from Beady since around Labor Day (an American holiday) in early September. Been wondering myself. That latest MRL photo is one of a few that I have seen without snow!. It really does showcase the beautiful Montana landscape.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning, 29° and sunny.

Justin: In all likelihood, your problem is the Atlas universal joiner. In my case, my previous layout had an extension which relied on atlas products, and I had numerous power losses. The current layout is all Micro Engineering code 70 track and switches, with a short section of ME and PECO code 83. I have not had an electrical issue until my recent installation of the East end staging, on which I used some leftover Atlas code 83 rerailers, and some of the Atlas joiners. suddenly, I had power issues. Nothing fancy here, just straight track. Replaced the Atlas Joiners with ME code 83 joiners and everything is OK.

Since most of your layout appears to be ballasted from your photos in the forum, your best solution is to find and solder the worst offenders, then go from there. Most likely locations are where the short sections of sectional are used, like around crossovers and switches.

Good Luck with the layout gremlins. Probably not a short if the rest of the layout is working. Loose joiner or wire somewhere is probably the culprit. I don't know how many feeders that you installed, but most of us (except Bruce) have them every three to six feet and on all spurs and sidings. Feeders are cheap and easy insurance. I think that we all learn the pitfalls of sectional track on our first layouts, so you are not alone.

Willie: Of course, I'm not one to stir the pot, but I have not as yet extended my buss beyond the initial 12' section and have not yet dropped feeders in the second 14' section. The third section, 20', all the feeders are receiving power off the track. Now, it's straight DC, not DCC, and there is some power drop, but no power issues. I have to go over to HD, this week, to get enough 16 gauge wire to run the buss. Not for nothing, I never expected this, considering that there were severe voltage drops on sectional 4x8 layouts, even with feeders. I think that much has to do with joiners.

Good morning. 27 degrees and the snow is still coming down. I am guessing that as of new we have between 8 and 10 inches.

Justin - I left sectional track in the dust back in the mid 70's when I build my little N scale layout when I was still living in Florida. When I changed over to HO scale, the track was either hand laid or I used Shinohara flex track and turnouts. At the time Shinohara had the largest selection of turnout in code 70. I can also use N scale rail joiners for the hand laid and Shinohara track. Lucked out there. In the long run, you'll be a lot better off. You're not limited to set radius curves dictated by sectional track and you'll most likely have fewer joints to worry about. Joe made a good point about the rail joiners.

Train wise, all I did yesterday was run trains for a while. There were a few things that I could have done on the layout, but no ambition. Running trains was more fun.

Rail picture for the day.

Dramatic_Railroad_Tracks_by_FullofSecrets.jpg

Later

Good morning ...

Regarding rail joiners, I solder all of mine. It is easy to do, and I do not lose power to the rails that way.

Willie .... You said your typical train is close to 25 freight cars. .... (I can do this in my head .)... 800 cars divided by 25 cars per train equals 32 trains. .... That'll keep your locomotives busy.

Justin ... I did not get to my train room yesterday, but today I will look for the hand held controllers.

Chet ... That rail picture looks cold.

Johnny .... Glad you had a nice time in KC.

Well Atlas has given me issues from the jump. The problem I have is self inflicted. I moved the layout out from the wall a little more to allow me some more space to move. I would say I flexed my layout just enough to hurt the joiners. Up to that point I didn't have any issues. Now....it's layout wide of jerking and just plain dead spots. Cleaned the track like it's going out of style so I know it's not dirty. Cleaned wheels to have no change. So I'll go to checking voltage on the track. I know I didn't hurt my wiring. End all be all here I'd say this is the last time I use Atlas track if I can help it. Their turnouts stink. Shoot all of their track stinks. Has high and low spots. Just sucks....
In retrospect I shouldn't have moved the layout.

Good morning ...

Regarding rail joiners, I solder all of mine. It is easy to do, and I do not lose power to the rails that way.

Willie .... You said your typical train is close to 25 freight cars. .... (I can do this in my head .)... 800 cars divided by 25 cars per train equals 32 trains. .... That'll keep your locomotives busy.

Justin ... I did not get to my train room yesterday, but today I will look for the hand held controllers.

Chet ... That rail picture looks cold.

Johnny .... Glad you had a nice time in KC.
Take your time Garry. As for soldering joiners I may find myself doing the same thing.

Good Morning Troops: It's 46* going up to 72* later on. Overcast at the moment, but comes from the coastal fog spilling over the surrounding hills. I have several comments to make, but I know that I will overlook someone - so asking for forgiveness ahead of time!

Gary, Willie, NOT worn out from the soccer - just tired because of the longer day made possible by nail-biting traffic going 75-85 mph when there is a chance and the crazy drivers who lane switch whenever there is an opening making everyone hit their brakes because the offending SOB does not maintain the already set speed and if you leave more than 2-3 car length in front of you - someone is going to try and fill it. It's nerve wrecking and I still have some issues with the lack of stamina .. maybe it's just the aging process?

Justin: I feel for your track problems, but it's not Atlas's fault. I have had three layouts in the past and two of them had mostly sectional track - the third was about half and half. I always soldered every joint and did not use any insulated jointers! I then went back and cut gaps with my Dremel where needed. All my wiring was soldered as well except where I used screw terminals to make multiple connections. The fact that you also ballasted your track has added to your problems as well by allowing moisture/glue to migrate into the joiners. Listen to what Garry, Willie,and Joe are saying - SOLDER those Joints! The only time that I ever had a loco stall was either when I failed to clean the wheels or it picked a point and shorted.

Chet - Those are some really nice models! 100 1/24th huh? You must have an automobile fetish?

TooT - Great photo!

BTW -- Grandson's team won 4 straight games without allowing the opponents to score a single point. Brodie scored a goal in each of two games. For a group of 10-11 year old boys, they really played good - I was surprised! I am horse from yelling so much and you guys are correct about boring at times ... I really don't like soccer, but you have to support your offspring. They will now advance to the County playoffs!

Justin .... I found the hand held controllers. They were made by Troller which was a good brand in the DC era. I'll send a PM.

I guess my safe bet here is solder my points. It's something I had thought about doing all things considered. I don't think I have much choice now. I shouldn't be hard on Atlas. Really only issues I've had up to this point is their number 4 manual turnouts. And seeing as my problems are most likely self inflicted. I suppose I'll solder some points tomorrow before work and maybe I can get some serviceable track sections back.

Sherrel - I guess I do have an automobile fetish. The larger they are, the more they cost. I think I better stay with the HO scale versions. I have slowly been selling off the 1:1 cars. I doubt that I will be taking on any more restoration projects unless I find certain cars that I have been looking at for a long time.

Hello from GA Gentlemen!!!!!!!!
We made it back Friday night and unloaded that night.
God this place is an absolute mess and flea infested bad.
One cat is still here. The other died I am told.
There won't be any layout done for some time.
At least I'm here and in one piece. I've already had plenty of visitors.
E.

Hello from GA Gentlemen!!!!!!!!
We made it back Friday night and unloaded that night.
God this place is an absolute mess and flea infested bad.
One cat is still here. The other died I am told.
There won't be any layout done for some time.
At least I'm here and in one piece. I've already had plenty of visitors.
E.

Great news Eric. I assume that you know how to take care of the fleas, so that's first. Although a couple of trips to the dumpster might help out, just don't get bit. Keep us up to date on your progress. Welcome back to the land of warmer weather!:cool:

Willie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back