Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVII

Here is a photo for Santa Fe fans..... F-units in Chicago.

36727899756_607b3bd92a_b.jpg

Ken - D&J - You may be right about the insurance companies. I believe that Progressive had a plug in device to monitor drivers and giving a lower rate if they like what they see.

I have to admit, but I hate those things. See, I have to pull those things out several times, if not dozens of times a day. See, where they plug in is how we communicate with the car. They were never intended for Consumer use, and frankly they are a P.I.A. Even worse are the delivery trucks that wrap a tie strap around them so they can't be pulled out. :mad: I cut the strap, and toss it in the glovebox. :rolleyes:

Nice going, GARRY - That's a pretty hard photo NOT to like!
I'm not a "dyed in the wool" ATSF fan, but it's a RR that I have become much accustomed too after living in Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico and California - sort of "rubs off" a little. You have to admit that they had one of the more iconic looking paint works on their passenger locos.

Well, I thought we had the Onstar thing worked out The dealer accommodated my request, and simply deactivated it on the truck.
And that's where it all went wrong...
Now, every time I start the truck, I get a verbal message telling me Onstar is in Demonstration mode, and to have my dealer activate it, or call 1-800-Onstar and they'll activate it. It's a 30 second or so message-- Every time I start the truck.
And, at a couple of strategic locations and times, the message piped up again while I was driving.
I called the salesman and told him I was going to wave a white flag, and I would simply pursue other options, after they re-initialized the thing.

Good evening. We did get a few showers so I won't have to drag hoses around tonight.

Garry - Love the Super Chief photo.

Terry - Years ago I had done some investigation about On-Star. I did not want it on my Buick and wanted to disconnect it but was told that it was tied into the cars electronics and that it could not be disconnected. Deactivating it in the truck has probably caused some sort of fault. I ended up just living with it until the free period ran out, which for me was a year. After putting up with numerous calls from On-Star to trenew the subscription, they finally gave up. You may just have to live with it.

This is among the many reasons I will no longer buy a new car. Car makers don't give the buyer a choice when it comes to some of the technology in new cars, such as On-Star and touch screens. You were in a situation where you really didn't have much choice. I havebeen a GM fan, especially Chevys since I bought my new '65 Corvette and my '69 Chevelle. I really like my old 2005 Buick, but I wiull no longer consider anything from GM because I REFUSE to pay for all of the technology that I DO NOT want.

Good Evening All,

I lost track of the time today. This morning I did chores, then I spent about 90 minutes doing stuff on the layout then MOH wanted to go to the grocery store. After that we met friends for supper. Saturday and Sunday are Grandpa duty days so I may be gone for the weekend.

Chet- Thank you. Nice 1:1 and track photo.

Terry- Congrats on the new truck. When MOH got a new car 3 years ago that's what we did. After Onstar and Sirius expired we never renewed.

Willie- Nice pictures. The scene is coming together nicely.

Eric- I have ordered the same type lights several times without issue.

Garry- Nice photos. The F units remind me of my childhood in West Texas.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Nice going, GARRY - That's a pretty hard photo NOT to like!
I'm not a "dyed in the wool" ATSF fan, but it's a RR that I have become much accustomed too after living in Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico and California - sort of "rubs off" a little. You have to admit that they had one of the more iconic looking paint works on their passenger locos.

Sherrel ..... There are times when I wish BNSF adopted the Warbonnet for its paint scheme.

Sherrel ..... There are times when I wish BNSF adopted the Warbonnet for its paint scheme.

Rob tried it, and the idea was vetoed. Instead, the GN colors were used, with the yellow nose herald. I was told they didn't want BN to feel like they'd been taken over.

Hey Everybody

I'm alive and well, but working long hours and loving it!

Judging by the topic of some of the conversations I should be selling tinfoil hats ;)

]
Louis, if you saw the data I saw, you'd probably buy a tinfoil hat, too. It was pretty invasive. I just wonder why those records are not subpoenaed more in the event of an accident, or suspicion of drug or violent crimes...
Other than that, though, I am happy with the truck.IMG_2226.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning gang!

Nice looking truck Terry, how heavy is that trailer? No need for the tinfoil hats. They have a wealth of unused info there, but no-one intelligent to use it, their world is run by the bean counters.

Morning Gents,
I ended painting about 50 figures yesterday and then slept when I wasn't painting people. That kind of detail sure puts a strain on the eyeballs. Every time I laid down, I went straight away to sleep for about an hour or two.
Not really much else I can do at this point.
I do have some trees I could plant. I keep forgetting they did send me some. I keep telling him to pluck all the trees off the layout and none of them are glued down. I hope this doesn't turn out to be another one of those things where I keep asking specifically for something and he continues to send something completely unrelated!!!
Like my NCE operator's manual and my Woodland Scenics catalog. I've asked for those 4 or 5 times each already! What a bloody airhead!!!!!
Oh well.... at least he does eventually get stuff I ask for to me.

Maybe my MBK order will come in today even though it is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. If so, I can finish up patching bare spots in my existing ground cover. I ordered 3 things - 2 shakers of green turf and something else - but I can't remember what that 3rd thing "something else" was. Oh yeah... a 25 port terminal block that I'll use for lighting features.
I do have to replace lights on the flood loading tower. I noticed yesterday that one set has burned up and the other is about to go out.
E.

Terry​, if you can't turn off all that garbage that keeps coming through, consider it like the cab chatter and cow-mooing, chicken cackling and other irrelevant noises they put on some sound decoders.

Good morning gang!

Nice looking truck Terry, how heavy is that trailer? No need for the tinfoil hats. They have a wealth of unused info there, but no-one intelligent to use it, their world is run by the bean counters.
The trailer weighs 3500 pounds empty, and 5000 gvw. Well within the 7k capacity of the truck.

Terry​, if you can't turn off all that garbage that keeps coming through, consider it like the cab chatter and cow-mooing, chicken cackling and other irrelevant noises they put on some sound decoders.

I can't find the cv to turn that stuff off--yet...

Good Friday morning coffee slurpers.......another day in paradise! Right? (we're above dirt!)
Willie...your scene is coming together nicely, and thanks much for the offer of rain....it can't come soon enough.....
Terry....Nice truck! I've worked on all makers of vehicles over time, a GM product would be my choice also, but also like Chet, I resent the fact that I am forced to by something because I have know choice in the matter. I have asked sales people before what's up with that, That's what the people want is the reply. Really! That's not what this people wants!! Love have something shoved down my throat or up my........never mind! I'm with ya Chet!
Louis.....That is a very good album. I have that album, and the equipment to play it on........
Garry.... that is one cool picture, (Sherrel), Like those F (E) units. That is one of the reasons why I'm modeling the early transition era. What great style those wagons have, combined with all the paint schemes, today's motors seem uneventful to me, ( but that's me).
Eric...I admire your patience in painting all of those figures....my claws are pretty big & shaky for that kind of work.......
I'll see if I can get a pic to upload, new computer, first time getting a pic on here........
IMG_2315.jpg
This is the sun yesterday morning at about quarter to 7, eclipsed by the smoke. I used no filters on the camera.....The pic just doesn't show the brilliant orange.
Everybody have a great Friday..........Behave Yourselves.........

Back