Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXI

Morning!
WTF with all the different "Coffee Shops"? Thought I had missed out on 400 posts therebouts!
54 degrees: 65 is the expected high with partly sunny sky.

Afternoon All,

Fitted the table top today but didn't screw it down (tomorrow). I also made up the labels for a few things that needed them on the fascia. Later I'm going to the club for a couple of hours. It's looking like we may catch some rain in a bit. The pool is officially open here but the grand kids say it's too cold. I don't understand, when I was a kid I didn't care about the temp if I had a chance to go to a swimming pool.

Garry- I usually have a curtain up that hides all the crap, but I took it down while I'm working on the layout.

Sherrel- Nothing wrong with the video. It's neat to see the scale buildings and equipment.

CA Dave- Good to see you posting again.

Karl- Enjoy the show.

Eric- I hope you are OK and enjoying your new train.

I hope everyone has a good night

20170126_105527_zps8wxfo1iv.jpg

Hi All. I just stumbled in to the thread series here. That is neat to have a "chit chat" place here, as opposed to specific topic threads. Not much to add from my end. Coffee has already gone down the hatch, along with some real Baileys. I have been off on a work trip for too long. Now that I'm home and relaxing again I'm looking at the train subject. Ideas, ideas, ideas. I need to figure out how I want to make my table - what specific materials to use and a suitable construction method for a modular approach. Then I can work on some track laying. Slow progress.

Howdy ....

FlyFishn ..... Good to see you in the Coffee Shop .. It's a bit quiet today. Perhaps Super Bowl weekend has people preoccupied. .... Sounds like you are just beginning a layout. Do you have certain things you wish to include? What scale? It is a good idea to start with a small layout which can be expanded later. Where are you located? ... Have fun.

Willie ... Thanks for commenting on my photos.

I'm glad you found us FlyFishn!

There have been several threads about building bench work covering a plethora of choices in materials and options. If you do a search in the search box near the top of the page on the right side you can bring them up. I am of the camp that says "there is no right or wrong way, just make it work" That is not to say there are not ways to make it better and easier.

My layouts are still temporary, but once I begin permanent construction I have dozens of tried and true ideas I have borrowed from the top notch model railroaders on this the best model railroad forum on the WWW. The best part is if you run into a snag you have them right here to ask for advice.

In my mind the planning stage is fun in and of itself. I know my good friend and forum member David of MN aka LASM and I both enjoy spending hours contemplating our railroads. I have spent countless nights falling asleep thinking, planning, dreaming really of my railroad and David has told me he has done the same. It's so relaxing that I usually only spend a matter of seconds thinking before falling asleep.

What I am trying to convey is don't worry about slow progress, enjoy each step of the way.

In the mean time make yourself a regular in the coffee shop, we are glad to have you!

The "real McCoy"
16473802_10154664438155589_2521580376840145127_n.png

Inventor, Elijah McCoy patented an automatic lubricator in 1872 to regulate the flow of oil to locomotive cylinders and pistons. Railroad officials soon insisted that their locomotives have the “real McCoy” and not some inferior imitation.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "real McCoy"

Inventor, Elijah McCoy patented an automatic lubricator in 1872 to regulate the flow of oil to locomotive cylinders and pistons. Railroad officials soon insisted that their locomotives have the “real McCoy” and not some inferior imitation.

Thanks for that interesting fact, Louis!

Good evening gang!
Went to the Timonium show today. Yes, I did get a few things. A few hopper cars,(Early Walthers/Train Miniature) less trucks for a buck each with K-D's. A Medford trains craftsman kit of the WM station at Highfield Md, a Stewart F7 shell on NYC (another buck!) and the elusive smokebox front for a Pocher- "Genoa".
Genoa.jpg
Already a good runner, she's on a list for a makeover. Smaller flanged wheels, DCC & sound, and a makeover to Western Maryland specs, like this,
wm21s.jpg
But I gotta get that B&O 4-8-2 done 1st !

Garry -

Scale is N, modern era. My goal is to use the layout as a platform to experiment with DCC. The layout design is an L shape - 9ft on the long side with a 4ft depth, 7'4" on the short side with a 3ft depth (I think... unless I change it up some). The first track layout I have drawn up is a double main line loop around as much of the perimeter as I can get to. I may fill in the corner of the front of the L - if I do I can pull the track closer to the fronts. I don't know how I want to do a yard yet. As for features - I think I want to go after an intermodal container operation, have switches between main lines, sidings, etc, as well as some elevation changes. I don't know all the in's and out's of DCC yet. Since I can't do much space-wise if I build with the thought of this being a "test platform", more than modeling/simulating true scale, I think I will get more satisfaction from it. Though, I am going to start off with Canadian National for the railroad. They are local to me (north eastern-east central IL) and I enjoy seeing their scenery in the mountains and rivers of western Canada.

Louis -

Thanks for the thoughts. I agree - there is much to enjoy along the way. I tease my friend that sparked my interest again, sarcastically telling him what he got me in to... Though, when I was little putting a train around our Christmas tree was my favorite thing to do all year. I was in to model trains pretty heavily through my early teens. I got some of my Lionel train stuff out this past Christmas for the first time in ~10+ years. That was a lot of fun and my family enjoyed it again as well. I have O, O27, HO, and N trains. The only "layout" I have is a 2x4' oval for N that is in disrepair. I am refurbishing it as a test platform for some construction techniques. I replaced the cork road bed with foam and got the track secure several weeks ago. Now I need to lay the ballast.

Good evening gang!
Went to the Timonium show today. Yes, I did get a few things. A few hopper cars,(Early Walthers/Train Miniature) less trucks for a buck each with K-D's. A Medford trains craftsman kit of the WM station at Highfield Md, a Stewart F7 shell on NYC (another buck!) and the elusive smokebox front for a Pocher- "Genoa".
View attachment 60496
Already a good runner, she's on a list for a makeover. Smaller flanged wheels, DCC & sound, and a makeover to Western Maryland specs, like this,
View attachment 60497
But I gotta get that B&O 4-8-2 done 1st !
Karl, didn't you get an Intermountain or Stewart F unit drive a couple of weeks ago? Now you can have a complete engine.

Okay, it's 30 degrees. Water freezes at 32. The roads are wet. It shouldn't take a brain surgeon to figure out there might possibly be a little ice out there... Obviously, the people driving on my road are not by any stretch brain surgeons...

Went up to Timonium early yesterday to help with the setup of our (PWMRC) modular layout. Took a while to get things running. Turned out to probably be a run down CMOS battery in a booster.
The other Ken of MD came by and we chatted for a little bit. He doesn't look a bit like me. :cool: I didn't see anybody else from this forum there.
I didn't buy to much stuff. Just a few bottles of glue for the bridge construction, some solder and a few used containers for the intermodal yard.
Super Bowl tonight. I would like to see the Patriots win. Nothin in particular why I pick them.

Back