Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXI

OH this is fun. I'm glad to have had an early day at work.
I had a great long conversation with Terry - finally!
We've done plenty of business before but never talked to each other.
Until tonight.
A VERY good guy in my book!
Nevermind I bought [yet] another dcc engine from him.

Time for bed. Nighty night.
E

Good evening Y'all.

Justin: I like the GP35 and I like the coffee cup even more.
Chet: That was an interesting video. That E5 is awesome. Nice restoration on the train set also.
DSD: Good to lear your son was able to contact you. Camp Henry is sort of the reception and indoctrination area, from what I have been told.
Terry: Nice Baldwin. Are you sure it's a DS4-4-100, and not a late VO-1000? Most DS4-4-100os had a single stack, while four stacks were more common on VOs. I liked original NS Baldwins. Used to connect with the PC at Norfolk along with the Norfolk and Portsmouth Belt Line.
Toot: Didn't know you were an early NS fan. That's a cool unit.
Ray: Nice work. Your photo shows great detail.

Finally got off dead center, and bought a new F150 4x4 with a V8 and 6½' bed.
3-15-2016 F150XLT - 1.jpg

ERIK- Where did DSK-M train for MP school? In 1954 , Camp Gordon had Basic training, Radio school and M P school.

Phil

Fort Leonard Wood, MO.

Originally he was to go to Fort Sill OK in July for Basic, then FLW for MP AIT. When he sprained his ankle two days before shipping, they had to reset his start, and in the process, he wound up doing basic straight through AIT all at FLW. I believe that is now either the only MP training site, or at least the main one. But I might be mistaken about that.

Erick - I am confused? Who is DSK-M?.

"DairyStateKid-M" -- my younger son (just turned 19) -- as distinguished from my older son, "DairyStateKid-A"
[Added] M is the one in the Army; A is a shipping manager for a manufacturing co. here in town.

Given that two of the towns on my railroad are Aaronsburgh and St. Matthew, you can probably guess what the initials stand for :rolleyes:

EriK - glad to see DSK-M got safely to his destination. Is he planning for a Military career - or to possibly be a civilian cop when his active duty period ends?

He was originally looking at bridging the MP career into Military Intel or civilian police work, and might still go in either of those directions. But basic actually opened his eyes to some other opportunities. I think he's at least open to career at this point, but it's still early, so I wouldn't be surprised if he goes through 2 or 3 game plans at least in his head before finally setting on something. That said, when he first started entertaining military in the middle of 10th grade, I wondered if that would just be a passing fancy -- we neither pushed it on him nor held him back from it. But he was focused on it like nothing he'd ever really focused on before, and stuck with it. So I'm confident that he'll figure out for sure where he'll eventually want to take it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
EriK - glad to see DSK-M got safely to his destination. Is he planning for a Military career - or to possibly be a civilian cop when his active duty period ends?

Dave - interesting photo! I sure wish I could see some vehicles in it to guess the year more accrately, I'm thinking it was shot in the 1930's or 1940's. Reminds me of one of those Shorpy.com images.

Justin - nice looking GP35, is it a Kato? I've always been a "fool" for the C&O Enchantment Blue + Yellow paint scheme:

CnO_3028.gif

Chet - I'm guessing Garry has probably already watched that video a few dozen times. But thanks for posting it!
She's actually an Athearn unit. Let her run some laps tonight to see how she is. Definitely a speedy unit. Set my throttle at 30 and she's like a bullet train!

Justin

Good early morning once again.
64 out at just after 0500 hours.
I'm about ready for a few days off.
For now I'll settle for going back to sleep for a few more.
E.

Good Morning All. A little cooler this morning at 49 degrees and clear dark skies. It dried up enough by yesterday that I was able to mow about 1 1/2 acres. That's about half of what I need to mow. The hayfield will have to wait a few more weeks until we can plant. I did spend a little time in the train shed doing some more detailing and landscaping. Mostly I was outdoors.
Chet - That sure is a lot of weather changes in a day. Enjoyed the video, wish it was shorter so I could have spent more time in the train shed! LOL
Justin - Glad to have you back in the Coffee Shoppe. Nice looking engine and mug.
Greg - Lucky you, finding that screw twice! I use the flashlight method like Terry.
Ray - Wow! I love that scene. You did an excellent job.
Joe - Nice looking set of wheels.

Today is daughter #1's birthday...have to remember to call her. 38 years old, and it seems like only yesterday she was a toddler!
Well everyone, have a great day.

Willie

Morning fellers. 61° here in wild and wonderful West by God Virginia with mostly cloudy skies. Getting in the first cup of coffee of the day after that I suppose I'll get into something around here.

Justin

Good morning. 24 degrees and clear to start the day.

Justin - Nice photos.

Eric - Any deal yet on the switcher. Not a bad looking unit.

Morning fellers. 61° here in wild and wonderful West by God Virginia with mostly cloudy skies. Getting in the first cup of coffee of the day after that I suppose I'll get into something around here.

Justin

Wish I had your "By God" enthusiasm right now.
Today would be a good day to be off.... except my order hasn't come in yet so I suppose I'll put up with it.
... sigh...

Good Morning, it is 30 and snowing! We may get 10 inches, and it is some heavy stuff. It turned to snow about 5 am and supposed to snow on and off for the next two days.

Dave - interesting photo! I sure wish I could see some vehicles in it to guess the year more accrately, I'm thinking it was shot in the 1930's or 1940's. Reminds me of one of those Shorpy.com images.

!

Ken--I was looking for weathering ideas and googled Northern Pacific and a site with some pretty cool photos came up. The person that posted it had the same comment about no automobiles to date the photo. I thought one of you sharp railroaders could get a pretty good idea from the rolling stock, 30,s to 40's sounds good to me!

Ray--really nice job on the abutments and nice photos as well!

Lots of posts overnight, you guys were busy!

I made some progress on my layout, too; getting ready to post some pics of the finished product! Either Friday or probably Monday. I have a bunch of projects in que when this one is done, 3 trucks to paint and assemble, one building will be added along with another lot for tractor trailers, and then I will begin weathering my freight cars and locomotives.

more later

Wish I had your "By God" enthusiasm right now.
Today would be a good day to be off.... except my order hasn't come in yet so I suppose I'll put up with it.
... sigh...
I wish I could be off today as well Eric. Weeks are too long and my weekends are too short. And for some reason daylight savings time has messed up my sleep schedule.

Justin

Back