Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

Had to shut down this (censored0 electronic gizmo. Kept stalling, cursor had me cursing. Couldn't do a darn thing 'cept shut down.

WOW- The pictures youse guys post are awesome. Artistic beauties. The quality of the scenes make the trains unnecessary.

Phil

Flip, that might be why they call the little blinky thing that your mouse moves, a cursor! :rolleyes:;)

Good evening, today was a nice warm late summer day. We spent a lot of time out doors enjoying the day, with our three and a half year old grand daughter. Mom, Dad and Little brother, (eleven months), drove up to the Watertown, NY area, searching for suitable housing. We went to the park and playground, and baked cup cakes. We even had the opportunity to observe the State Wildlife commission employees stocking the Reservoir. I learned that the hatchery is in Hacketstown, NJ, which is also the home of M&M's Candies.

In my opinion, what's wrong with the ACA is that from the day it was launched, it was totally confusing what was available,at what price, and what the coverage was. No one, the government contractor administering the program, the participating private insurance carriers, or the dopey web site could give an answer. Although coverage under ACA is mandatory, there is no way of enforcing it, unless one turns himself in. Lobbyists for the Insurance Industry, Pharmaceutical Industry, and Small Business interests. worked very hard to make sure their employers interest was preserved, further weakening the ACA. I'm not sure ACA is the best answer, but, the private sector isn't very helpful either.

When I turned 65, Amtrak ended not only my coverage, but my wife's dependent coverage. My Medicare was simple. Medicare, a Part B Supplement that covered the difference, and the Part D drug plan. Since my wife was only 61, I placed her in a RR Union sponsored plan that covered 60% of her medical expense, after a $750 deductible. After 10K out of pocket, they cover at 100% with a lifetime benefit of $500,000. The only down side to this is no drug Plan, but one of those discount cards, accepted by Walmart, provides her a really good discount on Generic prescriptions. She transitions to Medicare next April. When ACA started, we attempted to find a better plan, but were unsuccessful in finding an affordable option.

Eric: Hope things go well with your MRI, PET and CAT scans. Hope you and your father enjoy your visit.

Corey and Matt:
Whatever is going on is beyond your control. Do not take it personal, even when it hurts. The only thing you can do, is to continue NOT Drinking, and hope and pray for the best. Things will sort themselves out , if you give it time. Big problem is that today, you don't know what's best, neither does your wife, or anyone else for that matter.

Chet: All that electronics stuff on the new vehicles is neat...problem is that with your collection of classics, there is no time to waste on modern stuff. You get to enjoy the really great cars, and that's more fun.

Garry: I actually liked the old bridge myself.

Louis: Beautiful Family. You have every reason to be proud of your grandsons. 3-3 in the bottom of the 7th. We ain't dead yet.

Yes, Thursday morning (9/1) at 0700.
CT, MRI and PET all at once.
E

268245f4d69a0eef89e9b7e6b573b81f.jpg

Sorry, just had to Eric! :cool:
Here's to hoping they find something easily fixable!

PTC37305100at3rdandMarketSts.inChester.jpg
In another scene that deserves to be modeled, Market Square, in Chester, PA. End of the line. Car is ready for the return trip to Philly. Sometime in 1940.

Hey guys thanks for the well wishes it means a lot. I am on the road a couple days and then I'm in the shop a couple. It just depends. I did tell my boss they better find some help before it gets too cold. I'm allergic to it. The worst of it is even when I'm in the shop most of the stuff I work on is too big to fit in our 60-70 year old shop anyway. So either way I'm outside even though at the shop I can go in and warm up a little more often. I am assuming they probably won't find help soon. Here in my area a decent tech can basically name his price right now. So its definitely the right time to be a guy like me. Machines are getting more complex but at least they are big enough I can still wiggle my way in to the hard to get at parts.
I do have to say my dogs help me keep my sanity. It's nice they are always happy to see me.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Good evening gang!
Just trying to play catch up before bedtime! Lots of cool pics (love the trolley!) and getting caught up on the news!

Corey. Keep the faith brother. whether or not the Mrs. comes to her senses , stay away from the bottle. You only have one life to live, and there is no dress rehearsal. Spend the booze money on trains! Literally, less headaches!:cool: Matt. same goes for you! :D

Louis
. One of these days we have to get together. Son #2 lives in Dundalk, on German Hill Road near the "Po-Boys" place. We drop in now and then on them to play with the grandson. Oh, and have you tried Ollies for scale cars? I scored some structure kits and passenger cars there before.

Used to be a time of day when you could have your spouse on your health plan. Since the ACA came out, it's been cheaper for SWMBO and I to have separate policies with different companies, than for either of us to "ride" on the others. Thanks for nuttin! :p

L8ter gang!!

Evening Gents,
Just a quick check-in before crashing out for the rest of the night.
Dad got me out of the house for a drive around this afternoon. I know it's killing him that he can't do anything for my situation. So we went out for a drive. Stopped and got a Frosty at Wendy's. I can't believe he'd never had a Frosty with all the traveling he's done.
We got back and I went for a nap. He brought some county board budget work with him so he worked on that.
I just got up for a drink and he's hitting the rack and I'll return there myself soon as I post.
Catch you all later.
E.

PS: Corey and Matt... Very sorry to hear of the marital woes fellers. Been there 3 times my own self.

Good to hear from you E, thanks for checking in!!!

Packaged tonight, shipping label attached, Dundalk bound! :cool:

Thank you Karl! No need to rush, I'm seldom if ever in a hurry for my toys. Once I buy them I add them to my Excel spreadsheet to my "on order" book and they are as good as mine. When they arrive I transfer them to my inventory.

That reminds me; my kids joke that "dad has a spreadsheet for everything" They should be happy I don't keep a spreadsheet to track my spending and expense they cost me.

Louis ... Thank you very much , but I don't deserve such a kind remark.,
Chet ... I used to have a 1987 Buick LaSabre with the 3800 V6... Worst car I ever owned because the engine died. I had to buy a new engine. ... Another great photo from you.

Garry your humble reply only proves my point and reinforces my faith in you.

I remember a Technical Service Bulletin concerning the early 3800 v-6. If I remember correctly they had an issue where the oil pump would lose prime. When the oil was changed you had to quickly refill the engine oil and quickly restart them to minimize the problem. I don't remember the details.

Terry can you help me here?

Good evening, today was a nice warm late summer day. We spent a lot of time out doors enjoying the day, with our three and a half year old grand daughter. Mom, Dad and Little brother, (eleven months), drove up to the Watertown, NY area, searching for suitable housing. We went to the park and playground, and baked cup cakes. We even had the opportunity to observe the State Wildlife commission employees stocking the Reservoir. I learned that the hatchery is in Hacketstown, NJ, which is also the home of M&M's Candies.

In my opinion, what's wrong with the ACA is that from the day it was launched, it was totally confusing what was available,at what price, and what the coverage was. No one, the government contractor administering the program, the participating private insurance carriers, or the dopey web site could give an answer. Although coverage under ACA is mandatory, there is no way of enforcing it, unless one turns himself in. Lobbyists for the Insurance Industry, Pharmaceutical Industry, and Small Business interests. worked very hard to make sure their employers interest was preserved, further weakening the ACA. I'm not sure ACA is the best answer, but, the private sector isn't very helpful either.

When I turned 65, Amtrak ended not only my coverage, but my wife's dependent coverage. My Medicare was simple. Medicare, a Part B Supplement that covered the difference, and the Part D drug plan. Since my wife was only 61, I placed her in a RR Union sponsored plan that covered 60% of her medical expense, after a $750 deductible. After 10K out of pocket, they cover at 100% with a lifetime benefit of $500,000. The only down side to this is no drug Plan, but one of those discount cards, accepted by Walmart, provides her a really good discount on Generic prescriptions. She transitions to Medicare next April. When ACA started, we attempted to find a better plan, but were unsuccessful in finding an affordable option.

Louis: Beautiful Family. You have every reason to be proud of your grandsons. 3-3 in the bottom of the 7th. We ain't dead yet.

Boris I agree with you about the ACA; Confusion, special interests and lobbyists are the fundamental problems. Combine that with incompetence, partisan politics and states that refused to participate and here we are. I felt it was a dead duck as soon as they started calling it "Obamacare"

We need a solution, but extreme partisan politics from both sides of the isle make that nearly impossible.

Even FDR could not get a comprehensive health care bill through congress.

Nixon submitted his proposal the day before Watergate hit the papers.

Ted Kennedy undermined Carter's plan, but Kennedy is remember for his life long fight for health care. WTF?

The first president Bush had a good idea, but he lost the election, don't blame me I voted fort him!

Bill Clinton put his wife in charge of health care, what was he thinking? We did note vote for the first lady. That created even more animosity.

Now we have this mess!

Mean while people in dire need are making the health care industry rich.

Thank you for your comments about my family. I don't know how I got so lucky, but I thank God everyday for my family and the Birds! We won!!!

This is not from last night but it is appropriate none the less.
021.jpg

Hey guys thanks for the well wishes it means a lot. I am on the road a couple days and then I'm in the shop a couple. It just depends. I did tell my boss they better find some help before it gets too cold. I'm allergic to it. The worst of it is even when I'm in the shop most of the stuff I work on is too big to fit in our 60-70 year old shop anyway. So either way I'm outside even though at the shop I can go in and warm up a little more often. I am assuming they probably won't find help soon. Here in my area a decent tech can basically name his price right now. So its definitely the right time to be a guy like me. Machines are getting more complex but at least they are big enough I can still wiggle my way in to the hard to get at parts.
I do have to say my dogs help me keep my sanity. It's nice they are always happy to see me.

Matt I know what you mean about dogs. After my separation and divorce from my 1st wife my Dalmatian Mickey was my best friend and my therapist.

I spent many years as an industrial mechanic/road dog, the money is great especially for what you do because not everybody can or will do what you do. Get yourself some thermal clothes and gloves made from Thinsulate you can get it in hats to boots and everything in-between. Thinsulate is amazing stuff it really works! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinsulate

If you can't find it local try Amazon https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=thinsulate

Good evening gang!
Just trying to play catch up before bedtime! Lots of cool pics (love the trolley!) and getting caught up on the news!

Corey. Keep the faith brother. whether or not the Mrs. comes to her senses , stay away from the bottle. You only have one life to live, and there is no dress rehearsal. Spend the booze money on trains! Literally, less headaches!:cool: Matt. same goes for you! :D

Louis
. One of these days we have to get together. Son #2 lives in Dundalk, on German Hill Road near the "Po-Boys" place. We drop in now and then on them to play with the grandson. Oh, and have you tried Ollies for scale cars? I scored some structure kits and passenger cars there before.

Used to be a time of day when you could have your spouse on your health plan. Since the ACA came out, it's been cheaper for SWMBO and I to have separate policies with different companies, than for either of us to "ride" on the others. Thanks for nuttin! :p

L8ter gang!!

Corey what Karl said, I could not have said it better!

Karl it really is a small world! I live one block south at the opposite end of German hill road a half a block from Dundalk Avenue. If you come look for the Bayliner in the drive way and the Oriole Banner on the porch railing I bought from Poor Boys! Unless of course it's Christmas time. Our Home at Christmas.jpg Stop by anytime!

I do shop at Ollie's I am a member of "Ollie's Army", but I have not come across cars yet. Ollie's buys on the grey market so they never have the same stuff. I like to stop in just to browse but I have not done it enough. They had a huge selection of Revell Models; war ships, cars, you name it, all kinds of stuff a few years ago and I could kick myself for not stocking up for my boys. I don't like models myself, but I want to encourage my boys. They were just toddlers, but I should have bought them!!!!

When I worked for Firestone health care was totally free, no payroll deduction, no co-pays, FREE! You can't blame the employers, the costs are insane!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning Everybody!

it's 70 with 87% humidity under mostly clear skies in southeast Baltimore.

I hope Everybody has a great day!!!

Good Morning All. 73° and mostly clear here this morning. Spent a little time in the garden yesterday, preparing it for fall planting. I am looking forward to that.
Thanks for all of the comments regarding the latest plywood addition. The next phase will go quickly, as laying roadbed/track is one of the more enjoyable aspects of the hobby for me. I still need to install the backdrop down the center of the previous section that I did. I am toying with the idea of a scenic backdrop instead of a hardboard version, but it might take me a while to decide. In the meantime I want a longer run for the trains on that level.
I resemble "frugal", or is that "miserly"?;)
Phil - While everything in Texas is bigger, and it looks "TEXAS" size; I really only added 1-sheet of 4' x 8' plywood (cut into 3-32" x 48" pieces) to the existing benchwork that I showed a few weeks ago. It does however, connect with quite a bit of existing blank benchwork that is on the other sides of peninsulas that I already built.
Dave - While many of us think that it is a shame that you are having to dismantle your layout, you certainly seem to be enthused about starting a new one. Good luck with the new job, the move and the new layout. I am looking forward to watching it evolve.
Garry - Does look like a dance floor in those pictures, doesn't it? See comment to Phil above. I am on your side regarding the new bridge. The old one, while it looked good, looked like it was made for railroad traffic with the high sides.
Sherrel - Bandstand is the iPod docking station that I pictured on top of the new beer fridge a few weeks ago!!!:eek:
Corey - Sorry to hear the news. Keep up with your end though, it seems to be the best decision.

My thoughts go out to all of you experiencing upheavals in your marriages. I can't offer any particular advice as I haven't had a major issue in 44 years. If you're the praying type (I am), keep it up.
Daylight is getting noticeably later around here. Still taking my walk early though, as it is too hot any later. Lately, I have been spending a bit of time in the train shed before dawn though, so that is good!

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Willie your train room is fantastic and inspiring.

I have been getting ready to purchase my last house (next year or 2 at the most) and I was thinking basement for my train room, but your separate train room is a good idea. Now I'm expanded my search to include properties with a large existing garage.

If you don't mind can I ask the dimensions of your train room?

Thanks for sharing your hobby.

Good morning. 72° and foggy this morning. We will be heading for the coast later this morning, as the wife needs blood work. Then a walk on the boardwalk. :rolleyes:

Willie: What are you building, the whole Texas and Pacific?

Curt: Nice model of your last Sub. There was a time that I was really into Subs. I never knew they were painted black until I passed the Sub base near New London, CT on the old New Haven back around 1966.

Louis: Birds pulled it out last night on Matty's Homer. Now to win the game tonight.

PTC37165086pastEssingtonabouttocrosstheIndustrialHighway.jpg
Another streetcar photo from 1940. This time the #37 bound for Chester, passes the Reading Company's Darby Creek Engine house (to the right background) and service facility. Crews still reported at the engine house through the 1980s, but the entire yard is gone, and structures are all demolished. Turntable was behind the enginehouse.

As you can see, this street car line was never more than two or three city blocks from the railroad(s), I'm basing my layout on. I'm tempted to look for a Peter Witt Trolley to represent this line, if I can figure out how to incorporate it.

Have a positive day!

Good morning folks.

Sunny and beautiful this morning. At least the day is starting out right.

Matt, sorry to hear you are going through the same thing. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

I talked with Gina last night. I guess I have a little hope after the conversation we had. That is, if she's not lying to me again. I guess I'll work on myself and see what happens. I drank last night and I am blessed with a hangover today. Never had hangovers before so I guess God is telling me something. I'm meeting with my pastor this morning and will attend a meeting tonight. Drinking is clearly not the answer.

Thanks again for the support. I know we are all somewhat strangers but I feel I know you guys better than others.

Have a good day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good morning. We started the day off at 56 degrees going up into the 80's again.

Eric - Seems like your visit with your dad is going well.

Joe - Sure am enjoying your street car photos. Never got to see any in person while growing up. No mass transit out here in Montana. The closest was the street running on the South Shore Line in Indiana.

Garry - The early 3800 engines did have their problems which were ironed out when they came out with the 3800 series II engines. The 3800 engine is basically a GM V-8 (350) with two cylinder removed. I have a friend who also fried an earlier 3800 motor.

Toot - Interesting video. Wonder what the people did to piss off the hawk.

Catch you later.

Hey Corey,

Good to hear you are talking with your wife, I hope and pray everything works out.

Don't be too hard on yourself, you just have to start again, I know you can do it.

Drink lots of water, hangovers are usually from dehydration. I hope you feel better.

Thanks Corey, it is definitely a bad situation. I haven't figured out the best way to cope exactly. Besides reading these forums and watching lots of you tube videos and eBay those things keep me occupied so I don't stew over everything. Also I have purchased some nice new tools for work since buying then sometimes helps me feel better.
I do want to tell guys that reading this forum is therapeutic for me. Even when I don't actively contribute.

Back