Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

Good afternoon, it's 64 in the Fraser Valley under cloudy skies.

Willy- Your layout plan looks great, should keep you busy for a while.

Chet- nice model of 61 Chev, I thought it was real at first. You could buy this car with a 409 engine, a real strong runner, great sounding. Nothing can replace cubic inches!

This is the finished deck of my trestle

152.jpg

Haven't heard from trussrod for a while, hope all is OK.

Mel

Mel, with all the wildfires in his area, it concerns me, too, that we haven't heard from him.
Looks like Curt and Phil are going to get more rain, to the tune of nearly a foot in some areas.
My daughter in law called last night. She is an RN at Bayonet Point Hospital, and the place had to be evacuated because of an electrical fire. Looks like the hospital will be closed until at least Tuesday. Especially since it seems to be in the path of all the rain from the tropical storm heading Northeast.

Curt, I'm not sure which sound file it is. The way ESU works is you buy a decoder to fit your engine, them load the sounds onto it. I can see if I can find the sound file, and link to it.
If you don't have a Lokprogrammer, and your LHS can't program it, you could send it to me, and I can load the files and send it back.

Louis, glad to see you're back. I thought that you started the coffee each morning in the coffee shop.

I think my wife can relate to your A/C problems. The A/C crapped out in the building she works in yesterday. She said that it was over 90 in the building with no air moving. She was a bit grumpy when she got home last night.

These photos are an example of the 1/24 scale die casts that I collect. The may have a bit more detail, but they do cost a bit more.

View attachment 58459 View attachment 58460

View attachment 58461 View attachment 58462

Yes, I am a car nut, besides being a train nut. I consider myself rather lucky. I have three man caves. The little one we just completed where I have my model railroad work bench, the middle size one in the basement with my train layout and the big one outside where I work on restore my classic cars.

Chet I normally do start my day with the coffee shop. I have my automatic Mr.. Coffee coffee pot set to come on a little after 2am. I fill my big CSX heritage cup and come down to sit at my desk. I check my emails and unless I have something urgent to reply to I check in at the coffee shop.

Today I had trouble even walking down the steps. My health is not what I would like it to be, but I always say "any day I get up is a good day" This morning I went straight to my couch. I was too lazy to get the charger for my laptop. I watched some reruns of Laramie, it's on Starz with no commercials! I did that until it was time to wake my grandson for school. His Mom works too late to pick him up so he stays with us. I did manage to walk my wife to the car as she left for work at 4am, like I always do.

I feel fine now, back to my usual semi-useless self :)

My youngest daughter friend's father is in the final stages of inoperable cancer and he gave my grandson 7 of those 1:24 scale cars. She took one out of the box for him to play with and the boys proceeded to break off the mirrors. I told her they were not old enough for them and they are not toys you play with. I put the rest away until he his old enough to appreciate them.

I love cars and trucks too, but after my 78 Mercury Cougar XR7 I rebuilt was stolen I lost interest in the real cars. Over $10000 gone, all I had left to do was the interior and the paint. other than trains it is the only thing I ever spent money on that was for me. A few weeks earlier my GMC utility body service truck had been stolen, the police found it with all the tool boxes empty and the keys in it. I had over $40000 in tools, probably over $100000 in todays prices.

I had my keys and my spare keys were hanging up. I believe both were stolen by the same person or at least orchestrated by the same person, I think my X-wife. She had access to the keys. This all happened shortly after I left her and my 15 year old daughter choose to go with me.

The Cougar has never been found. Oh well, that was nothing compared to the cash and other valuables she took. Good riddance, money well spent to get rid of her!

Now with my new wife, my angel face I have never been happier.

Time to feed my boys!

I was going to go out and move the rain birds, but the wind is currently howling so it doesn't make a lot os sense. Time go watch the news.

Here's a train waiting for the order to leave the yard with its train.

IMAG0857.jpg

Catch you later.

Chet- I have been giving some serious thought into purchasing this car but MOH says that I am "entering my third childhood" and at 75 years of age I should not be looking at such expensive toys. I have a feeling she is going to win this one, we'll see.

This is A 57 Canadian built Meteor, same as the 57 Ford with different trim. There was 250,000 Meteors built in 1957 so it is not a particularly rare car but not many like this one. It is what we used to call an imitation hardtop, the roof line and rear quarter window look like a two door hardtop, but it is actually a two door post. In my opinion the 1957 Ford was the nicest Ford ever built.

IMG_1658.jpg

Mel

Good evening, y'all. Current temperature is 70° cloudy with some fog. Never got above 78° today. We are under a Tropical Storm Watch, for Saturday and Sunday. So, its possible that the Bennys will get blown away this year.

Louis: Take care if yourself. We don't need you on our sick list...No game tonight either.

Sherrel: The street car photos and article were very informative. Until a friend forwarded me the photos, I would have never considered modeling street cars. The #37 Trolley, actually paralleled the railroad lines I'm modeling, before 1948. Now, I am seriously considering a PRT or PTC Peter Witt" car for the Eastern portion of my layout.
PTC37205099boundforChestercrossingoverEddystoneAve..jpg
There are three separate ROWs crossing Eddystone Avenue in this photo. The #37 is in the foreground, immediately behind is the Reading Company bridge. The PRR bridge is immediately behind that. Note the street itself is depressed to allow overhead clearance. The PRT and PRR abutments are poured concrete, the older Reading abutment is stone block. Stairways in the foreground, lead to the streetcar station. Again, the photo reveals a lot of detail that would make an interesting model.

Mel: That's one great looking car, Mel. I heard that Ford didn't market the Mercury line in Canada, just Ford and Lincoln. In the US, Mercury offered a Mercury line called the Meteor. BTW, that's a good looking trestle deck.

Chet: Love them ALCos.

Eric: Hope things went well today.

Joe- The Meteor car was built in Canada and as far as I know,only sold here. Mercury cars and trucks were sold in Canada, in fact my all time favourite is a 1956 Mercury Montclair 2 Door hard top, Sun Valley version with a green plexi partial roof. Good ones are very rare and hard to find. This was a super road car, 120MPH no problem.

Mel

Mel that is a great looking car!

Boris, don't worry my friend. I am like one of those old boxers on the old Friday Night Fights. I stagger, I get knocked down, but I keep answering the bell. I really do try my best to take good care of myself. I ma having to much fun to check out now. I just have got to spend the money to fix the A/C!

The Ravens are on, I enjoy the final game of the preseason. You have young guys playing for their professional lives. They may not make the team, but they will be on tape for every other team to see. You won't see guys playing with this much passion until the playoffs.

have a great night Everybody!

Today's adventure.....

The PET/CT and CAT scans went fine - no problem.

That MRI beast is another matter. I couldn't handle that thing at all.
Might as have put me in a torture chamber or water-boarded me.
I did the best I could for as long as I could but panic and anxiety finally got the best of me.
The lady tech. said the Dr. will likely want to reschedule along with a heavy sedative.
I pray the PET & CAT scans will do just fine and the MRI isn't necessary.
It would suit me fine to never be in the same room with another MRI machine - EVER!

I only slept about 30 minutes last night. Took a Percocet and went to bed as soon as we got back.
Don't you know I had dreams about that f..ng machine !!!
I'm about to take another "perc" and go back to bed.
E

Joe- The Meteor car was built in Canada and as far as I know,only sold here. Mercury cars and trucks were sold in Canada, in fact my all time favourite is a 1956 Mercury Montclair 2 Door hard top, Sun Valley version with a green plexi partial roof. Good ones are very rare and hard to find. This was a super road car, 120MPH no problem.

Mel
Remember the M100?

I remember back about 1960, when I was working as a welder on the body line of a British car makers assembly plant in New Zealand, there was a used car dealer just across the road. One day I came to work to see one of these parked out side

It was a light cream or tan color. Not many Lincolns (if indeed any others like that one) in NZ at the time, so quite some interest being taken in it.

OMG Louis! :eek: Some thing about "Team theme" trains makes me want to regurgitate supper! :rolleyes: Is there really that big of a market for these overpriced caricatures? Especially when you consider the inflated prices...........:p

Karl: Is there a market for the overpriced tickets to watch some of these teams play???

Seriously, Model Railroaders, especially Prototype Modelers are definitely not interested, but I imagine some collectors are. Sports memorabilia people definitely. if they didn't sell, you wouldnt see them pop up every year. The NFL trademark on the fuel tank, says it all.

tropstorm-noh.png
Local weather forecast Icon for Friday and Saturday. Suppose, they won''t be good beach days, eh?

Karl I am one of the Bradford Exchange biggest suckers, I mean customers. Considering all the direct marketing they do for these trains I would say the market is pretty good. You can even find their ads in the Sunday papers from time to time.

I have never bought one from them, but I have been tempted. The high prices deter me. Now if MB Klein offered them considering their prices I would probably have mort than one!

They have themes ranging from Budweiser to Wildlife and almost everything in between. They even have an Indian Motor Cycles themed train.

http://www.bradfordexchange.com/mca...mcategory/villages-and-trains_564/trains.html

I picked up this Lionel boxcar at MB Klein. They have them on display right by the front door, first thing you see and in the O gauge section. They told me since it came out it has been their best selling piece of O gauge rolling stock, by far!

Even Toys R Us is selling this boxcar.

LIO-6-81922-2.jpg

I think it's good to embrace anything that promotes trains. I started with only cheap Christmas trains. It took me 40 years, but I caught train fever. At first I only wanted trains and tracks, but now I want more!

It can only be good for the economy of the hobby. Since I began buying more than Christmas trains I have spent close to $30000 and more than half of that at MB Klein. The hobby shops in my area were less than welcoming to me when I came in to buy Tyco and Life-Like or later Christmas trains. MB Klein always treated me good. Now those other hobby shops are all gone. I would spend 100% of my money at MB Klein, but they don't always have what I am looking for.

Any way we can bring new people and their money into the hobby is good for everyone.

Every year since 2012 I have bought at least 1 Lionel Christmas train set for a kid in my family, not counting my grandsons. If I thought a child or anyone in my family would enjoy one of these themed trains I would buy them one.

I owe so much to this hobby, it is only right to give back a little.

Share our hobby, give the gift of a train set. You never know what it can inspire.

It's 68 with 67% humidity under clear skies in southeast Baltimore.

It's going to be a good day to do yard work!

I have to get out early to beat my neighbor's son because he will cut my grass as well as his dad's. I have great neighbors!

My grandsons have a Spanish boy who they play with. He has the best manors, "yes sir, thank you" he is a good example for my boys. he played baseball with us as well. He is so well behaved and works so very hard. He has the best manors and work ethic of any kid on my team. My boys were teasing him because of his accent and I put a stop to that. I told them "he speaks 2 languages, how many can you speak?" My boys and I can't even speak Hungarian and my wife is Hungarian! I do know how to ask for the foods I like in Hungarian. :) That is a sure fire way to inspire her to make them!

E don't let the noise of the MRI machine bother you. I have to get one every 5 years and I usually nod off when I am laying still inside the machine, it won't bite you. Close your eyes and think of it as a heavy freight train with a flat spot on a wheel.

King Toot that is one cool car!!!

Have a great day Everybody!

Good morning. 60* F with a slight breeze in Howard County MD.

Lots of ugly weather pummeling Northern Florida and the southeast coastal states right about now. Curt and Phil, I hope you guys won't be affected by any of the tornadoes TWC is predicting for your region! I'm also hoping that the fleet of Embry-Riddle training aircraft won't sustain any serious damage from this storm.

Thanks everybody who offerred supportive comments about my Empty Nest syndrome episode, I've gotten over that now. Also thanks for the compliments on the two new signals. I started the wiring for this one final dwarf signal I plan to install near the steel mill yard drill track, hope to finish that by Saturday.

C U later, gotta get ready for w*rk now!

Another American car I remember from way back when I was buying my first small English car from a dealers premises. This one was being worked on by the mechanic. I had seen pictures of them and knew what it was, but never expected to actually be next to one

They were having problems with it's gearshift and he had the front panels off the FWD gearbox to get to the linkages. Vacuum assisted IIRC. A few years later my family moved to one of the new outer suburbs and I used to see it quite often. A very rare car for the locale. Oddly, NZ in those days, because Aus had it's own car manufacturing, imported many more US models than were available to Australians.

Back