Running Bear's Coffee Shop LIX

This photo should allay anyone's feelings of guilt regarding a messy work bench. It's reputed to be of Einstein's desk the night he died

7cc50287f1e9e4bc1a49a84496a35f83.jpg

Good Morning All. 57° and clear right now. Wind just shifted from the NW about an hour ago, it was 62° when I got up two hours ago at 4:30. We could have our first freeze tonight or tomorrow night then it warms back up to upper 70's in the daytime. Spent most of the day yesterday running errands, today is grocery/beer trek day. Can't weather a freeze without stocking up.
Trainwise, I mainly re-staged freight trains and exchanged cars off and on the layout yesterday to give everything equal run-time, and keep track clean. Probably ran 8-10 trains from end to end. I also rehabbed an old Bachmann caboose with metal wheels and installed glass in the windows. It still has truck-mounted couplers although I switched them for Kadee's years ago. Since it is always just trailing a train, it doesn't really matter that much. I have now officially run out of cabooses to use!!!

Justin -
I do shoves to the loadout and come back with my locomotive facing backwards as well.
I know that there are situations in both the real world and on model railroads that require long hood forward, besides those RR's that did it as a practice (Southern, NS and others). It is really rare here in Texas to see a single loco pulling a train to begin with, much less running down a main long hood forward in this day and time.
Observation: Your track and other layout woes mirror many first and second generation layouts that all of us have built. Consider it a learning experience for the future. Since you are probably not going to re-use the sectional track in the future, go ahead and solder away. If you are going to re-use it, you can do as I have done and use it on the tail end of spurs that will only see freight cars, never locos. Use flex for future main lines.
I think my track woes are spanning from when I removed a section
Commonly known as the "domino effect".
Ray - Got in late on the discussion of the front, but Terry is absolutely correct regarding the "F".
Bruce & others - The shack that you posted, nice picture by the way, is known as a "switchman's shanty", used in inclement weather by none other than switchmen! Yard offices are generally much larger, having to accommodate desks, communications equipment and lots of paperwork.
Terry - We had a couple of mid-80 degree days here this week, should get a few more before the end of the month.
David - Sounds like you have some work ahead of you.
Louis - I agree with you on the thread that Bruce started. I intend to add my 2¢ worth as soon as I get a little time.
Beady - Can't the asbestos floor just be sealed?

Where's Eric? Haven't heard from him in a few days. Tuesday if I recall. Hope that he is doing well.

Everybody have a wonderful Friday.

Willie

Good morning fellers. Thanks to everyone for the advice on my track work ahead of me. I've been working on my yard office here lately. It's the size of a mobile home. I'm talking a single wide mobile home. It's all good though as it will fit my layout perfectly. Haven't figured out where I'm going to place it yet. I'm sure I'll come up with something.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good morning where we're starting the day off at 17 degrees with clear skies.

Sure did miss a lot between testerday afternoon and this morning with the forum apparently still not active with Tap Talk. Sure hope they get it up and going soon.

Toot - The earthquake sure made a mss on things. It will probably be quite a job getting things "straightened" out. Never did have a layout that bad.

Ray - Nice photos. Good to see that they restored the little guy. I am a big fan od small switchers.

Curt - I like your yard office scene. Little touches like this sure add a lot of interest to a layout. Can't wait to see the signals installed.

May as welll post a quick photo and get out of here. Here are couple of switchers bringing a string of cars from the connection to the Northern Pacific which will be backed into the yard at Logan for delivery to customers.

IMAG0894.jpg

Later.

Good morning, everyone. I'll have a big cup of regular and a couple of maple doughnuts, please.

51 and partly sunny today. Like Willie, we're heading for our first real freeze. In the 20's tonight and next few nights, and daytime highs in the 40's and 50's.

Missed the coffee shop gang yesterday. We took the day off, got outside, ran some errands. Was fully expecting to get some work done on the benchwork, but in the excitement I had forgotten a major job that had to be done first. When we bought this house last year, it had a popcorn ceiling which my wife wanted taken down. I started that project myself, but after one day I was dead. As you can see I am alive today to write this note, which tells you I ended up hiring a company to finish the job and paint the entire interior. At that time we left the basement alone (to save money and because most of the basement is unfinished). There's only one room that's finished and it has a small area with the popcorn ceiling (the rest is ceiling tiles and light panels). So I got to work on that - has to be done before we start putting a layout up anyway. I'll finish this weekend. THEN to the benchwork!! :)

Curt - Nice yard office area. Gives me some ideas. And great progress on those signals.
Toot and others - Yeah, I sure want to avoid that kind of track on my first build!! Also, that photo of Einstein's desk - - I taught high school English many years ago and that looks like my first homeroom, chalkboard and all :)

Got to run. Will start posting pics of our benchwork when I can.
Johnny (Raincoat2)

Well I'm a day late and a dollar short. I have pics of my yard office to share. I'm not 100% complete with it. The roof needs some work still.
c2f993e409ca39b2f4254ab3a8a83027.jpg

d4bf8d7f9a2bf9a4ee68ba812717573b.jpg

It's really small on the layout. The pics bring it out somewhat in a good way I suppose.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

It fits Chessie, looks good!

WOO! I need a cuppa that joe, and add a shot of whatever is under the counter, looks like I kicked the anthill THIS time with that thread I came up with! Will I ever learn? I doubt it! (He, HEE!)

Oh lordy, it always turns into a "VS" "VS" thing when it is most assuredly NOT intended to be, between proto and non proto. "Non proto" is NOT "ANTI proto" but is always taken as such! It's like being an enthusiast compared to someone who gets paid to do it! Riding a bicycle is fun but when you get to the level of Lance Armstrong it's an entirely different ball of wax! Here we have kids with side wheels on the same track as the "Lance Armstrongs" of the hobby and crashes are inevitable!

It fits Chessie, looks good!

WOO! I need a cuppa that joe, and add a shot of whatever is under the counter, looks like I kicked the anthill THIS time with that thread I came up with! Will I ever learn? I doubt it! (He, HEE!)

BRUCE -- You sure know how to stir the brew! It's probably a good thing that you are no longer on the DMZ; you probably would have a war going by now! LOL

CS3 I like the little yard office - it fits!

YES I'm still around - You can't get rid of me that easy. MOH and I had a nice trip to N.M. We stopped for Bread Pudding and Pumpkin Pie at PIE TOWN, NM, just about the continental divide at 7700 ft. Some of the best pie I have ever eaten. Pie for lunch - why not! Coffee was free!

Last edited by a moderator:

Say Ray: I was going along with the same reasoning as Curt but did notice the bright plate beyond the cab and thought that might be 'F' plate but couldn't tell clear enough to really know if that's what it was? Also I wasn't sure when they started using that designation.

Mornin' folks!

David, I didn't have any idea about much to do with diesels until I started volunteering out at the museum. Since I model 1925 there aren't any of them diseasely thingies on my layout either.... Below is a close up of the front end of the RG&E 45 tonner switcher. She is now numbered 1941 as she was built in 1941. As run by RG&E she didn't have a number. We decided for several reason's (ease of ID during operations for one) to follow federal regulations and give it the number. As for the reason for the capitol letter F designating the front end........ I think what you might have thought was a plaque was actually sunlight reflecting off the freshly painted side of the cowling. Or maybe the bell underneath. In the photo below I also added a bit more exposure to lighten the photo. I think the uncropped original I left as taken by the camera except for the usual processing I do in photoshop.

"TITLE 49--TRANSPORTATION

CHAPTER II--FEDERAL RAILROAD ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF
TRANSPORTATION

PART 229--RAILROAD LOCOMOTIVE SAFETY STANDARDS--Table of Contents

Subpart A--General

Sec. 229.11 Locomotive identification.

(a) The letter ``F'' shall be legibly shown on each side of every
locomotive near the end which for identification purposes will be known
as the front end."

Here is a close up of the front end that clearly shows the "F" on the deck side. That is one of the RR trivia I often pass on to guests at the Museum about Diesel Locos.

1941%2003bw_zpshaxzwei2.png

For those who may be interested, here is more info about the old loco. http://www.rgvrrm.org/about/railroad/rge1941/

Have a great day!

Last edited by a moderator:
The "F" came about when diseasels first began to be common on the railroads, and there was concern operating people wouldn't be able to tell which end was which when planning movements.

The "F" came about when diseasels first began to be common on the railroads, and there was concern operating people wouldn't be able to tell which end was which when planning movements.

And here was me thinking it was an abbreviated warning to "Keep off".

I know the answer to this, but we'll see who else does. There is a round "thing" just under the end handrail, next to the coupler cut lever. What is it called, what is it used for, and when did railroads stop having them on equipment?

I know the answer to this, but we'll see who else does. There is a round "thing" just under the end handrail, next to the coupler cut lever. What is it called, what is it used for, and when did railroads stop having them on equipment?

I know.... I Know!!! But I'll let others answer. I will say that we even have one of the thingies that was used for that in the display baggage car at the museum.....

Poling pocket, used for pushing cars with a pole on adjacent tracks. I don't know when they stopped using them, probably around the advent of OSHA.

Willie

I have no clue.

Poling pocket, used for pushing cars with a pole on adjacent tracks. I don't know when they stopped using them, probably around the advent of OSHA.

Willie
That sounds very reasonable.

Did they disappear with roof walks?

Willie

I remember them being outlawed in the mid-1950s, though I personally saw a boxcar poled in 1970.

Roofwalks were outlawed in 1974.

I knew that, only because you had previously told me that :) now if I can only remember it! DOH!

Follow up question; after roof walks were banned did they have to be removed or just not to be used?

Also would that same regulation be why I was told not to jump from hopper to hopper when manually sampling coal? Even though I did it any way.

"climb up, climb down, climb up, forget that, I'm stepping across"

I knew that, only because you had previously told me that :) now if I can only remember it! DOH!

Follow up question; after roof walks were banned did they have to be removed or just not to be used?

Also would that same regulation be why I was told not to jump from hopper to hopper when manually sampling coal? Even though I did it any way.

"climb up, climb down, climb up, forget that, I'm stepping across"
The initial date was 1964. No new cars built after that time could be constructed with roofwalks. There was a ten year grace period, during which cars were supposed to have them removed during shopping/rebuilding.

I remember them being outlawed in the mid-1950s, though I personally saw a boxcar poled in 1970.

2x6 lumber also worked, as late as 1977 too. Sometimes, Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Later in life, Nylon coupler straps came about, ostensibly to straighten drawheads on high cubes, but crews soon found numerous other uses for them. Better than lumber, as nylon didn't break. Call it situational awareness. :rolleyes:

Back