Running Bear's August 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hughie!
HappyBirthdayTrain.jpg

Good Morning!

Finally got some rain during the night, just enough to soak the ground. It didn't last long and looks like back to blue skies this morning. 51F @ 6:00am.

Nope, Willie. I don't think the bears are getting many blueberries. It's just a bad year. There is a good crop of wild raspberry, though, so that should keep the bears happy enough for awhile.
I suppose that derail is there for safety's sake, or perhaps there is a regulation. The tracks don't go anywhere and are tore up down the road. At one time they went to the Husky Oil sulfur pits and an Amoco plant. Also, before the automobile, there was a village in there known as 'Silver City'. Now that area is being reclaimed and trees are being planted.

Thankyou, everyone for the comments and likes on my photo posts. Really appreciated.

Yesterday, I did go for a track walk going to the east of town. Gotta tell ya, I won't be doing that again. It's all boreal swamp going that way; very hard to walk and not a whole lot of paths. - The tracks bed is built up on a berm about 6' up from ground level. Even the tracks are hard to walk because they have so much ballast in there. - Nope, I'll stick with going west from now on.

A train did come by, though. I was able to get a crappy photo of the lead engine. It was moving along fairly quick:
View attachment 131368

That train had the front engine facing west, pulling more than a hundred empty gravel hoppers, and then another engine on the rear facing east. The engines were back to back with empty 3-bay open hoppers between them.
I believe I know why they had that configuration. The train was bringing in empty hoppers for the local gravel pit to fill. So the ET44's would drop the hoppers off on a siding in the staging area, in a single line. Then, they would both unhook from the hoppers and join themselves up, so that the rear engine coming in would now become the lead engine pulling a loaded train back to Edmonton. Of course, the loaded train is already stored in the staging yard, ready to go.

Here's the rear engine. The train stopped just as it past me, with nobody in the rear engine. That allowed me to get some fairly good close-up photos, although, I couldn't get to far off the berm due to the swampy ground. Here's a few close-ups:
View attachment 131369
View attachment 131370
View attachment 131371

Here's a photo of the rear engine, taken when I was trying to exit the area. Really tough walking in there.
View attachment 131372

That's all the time I have today. I have to go paint the rich ladies bedroom; and I only mean with a brush.

Have a good one!
If I modelled US, if I had a model of this, then these pictures would be brilliant for a weathering project, love them.

My mistake. I though that all layouts in UK were built on a 4'x6' baseboard/benchwork. I read it on New Railway Modellers forums. In France it's 1220x2500. Very similar in fact.
It would not surprise me you read it, s some people might, especially older modellers who might subscribe to what they used in the day,plus people make typos,typing errors and others if they like them are too polite to correct them,I think some of the plastic. And that come with railway sets might fit that size as well,1220x2440 is useful because 2x1220=2440 so you have a perfect rectangle which helps with all sorts of math, especially for builders who use the same sizes, I think the one thing you can guarantee is people believe different things about exactly the same thing.and opinions Are very varied.
the nice thing about modelling is there is lots of aspects,we can all overlap,and many appreciate ‘stuff’’ they do not necessarily want to do themselves, I appreciate a whole host of aspects that I do not want, or do not have time, or cash for,you pays your money,limited by your skills and time and choose an appropriate aspect that interests you,in a lottery winnning world we would all do ‘more’ he’ll sone people might give up railway modelling - shakes head sadly - and go do something els. Horse for courses, puns aside I find being here gives me an insight into the US landscape the scope and size of the bigger locos,and people with an open happy and welcoming coffee shop, some forums are like railway talk or nothing, only this aspect of railway, your not allowed to do off topic modelling,e.g. dinosaurs, having a laugh, dr who,one place they got into a row over my dr who then people were popping up pictures of real life incidents when dr who paraphanalia was actually as stations, I just want a quiet life where people who do not have a stick up their bums Han out……and once I landed here…..it was like…….ah my kind of place…..chill…..

Good Morning all! Yes it's another hot one. On the plus side Grace stayed in the southern Gulf and had no effect on this part of Texas. The folks up in the northeast should keep a weather eye on Henri.

Today is the 36th anniversary of my 39th birthday. I sometimes wonder how I made it this far. Thank you Lord for another day, Amen.

Not a lot planned for the day. I guess we'll play it by ear. I do hope to run some trains later.

Thank you all for the likes on the Mooney's Plumbing. I do need to find another Bar Mills that is as large as Pickham's Keg & Pallet.

STAY SAFE

LATER
Happy birthday….hope you get cake….posh or homemade
20CFBBDF-26F1-4708-9323-606CDBCB4083.jpeg

9A709443-44EE-47BF-A366-CDE843E2B336.jpeg

or even a muffin…
49EA77FA-483D-40D0-A920-462697FD2469.jpeg

or other of your choice….hopefully someone to share it with ….and chill
regardless of how…I hope you have a good day….and many more.

Afternoon All,

Got back from Dad's. MOH and I spent the day starting to pack up, give away or throw away a metric butt ton of stuff. MOH gets irritated when I call it crap (but so much of it is). It seems Mom and Dad never threw anything away. Cleaned the track I ballasted yesterday. Too tired to run anything to test it. Tomorrow more of the same.

Hughie- Very nice job on the build and Happy Birthday.

Joe- Good luck with the storm. We've managed to dodge the last 4 Tropical Storms (fingers crossed). Nice shifter shot.

Dakota- Nice layout shots and video.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good evening y'all.

Hughie, Happy Birthday !

Curt: Just the other day, the wife and I were talking about how cluttered the house is becoming. Trouble is we keep buying stuff, and not throwing old stuff out. Plus we still have a bunch of her mom's stuff stored in the garage...Time for a big dumpster?

Still under a Tropical Storm Warning, for Henri. Started raining about a half hour ago. Worst of it should be during the daylight hours tomorrow, but suddenly no one is sure. Meanwhile Hurricane Grace said goodnight over land in Mexico. Showed as a "Post Tropical Depression" on the Atlantic Hurricane map, and as Disturbance #1 on the East Pacific Hurricane map. Apparently, the forecasters expect the old girl to come out over the Pacific, re-intensify and get a new name.

My Rapido SW1200 is enroute, I should have it on Monday or Tuesday. I ordered it in January 2019. Family should be here from NY sometime Monday. Son is going to put in a laminate floor in the kitchen this week. If the Tropical Storm doesn't alter the schedule, My new gutters are due here Wednesday, and the oak tree in the back yard comes down next Saturday. Busy week.

Less than two months until Hockey Starts, less than one month until training camps open.

Berwin 9-9-54.jpg

Station at Berwin is just West of the 50 MPH curve. When approaching the curve from the cab, it looks like an 18" radius curve...that sharp.

This folding layout (photo bellow) gave me a few ideas for my new project: another small layout (45"x61") with a passing siding. Just scroll down and you can see the track plan AND my question.😈

001A.JPG

Can I have some issue with these little piece of track (1"1/2) ? Thanks for your help.

451.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back