Running Bear's August 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sun's UP! Looks as if we are in for another 95 degree, sunny, and breezy day - it was a 96 high yesterday.

The Marine SIL made it here from Camp Lejeune last evening around 10 PM. Everyone was glad to see him - as expected!

They are all starting to wander down so I will adjourn for a bit.

TomO - I got lost in the middle of your post? Still in the maze! Help - LOL !!

Sherrel

Sorry you got lost in the maze. It was just a rant

TomO

Terry .... Thanks for opening Augist coffee shop. your layout pictures in July coffee shop look great.

Guy .... A CN 40' boxcar would be fun to model.

Willie ..... It is interesting to see the train shed when you were building it. I like the Santa Fe trains in your photos.

Jaz ..... Look like a fun scratch building project.

Sherrel .... Frisco 400 looks sharp. ,,,,, Willie says that was not you on his layout with Miss Zelda. You are excused. :)

Everybody ..... Have a good evening.

Good evening. The travel day is over. Time spent on the western shore of Lake Michigan with a friend, my sister and wife. Gosh can women talk. You’d have thought they hadn’t seen each other for years but it was almost 2 weeks.

Too early driving by and too late on the way home to stop at Hiawatha Hobbies.

Great pizza at the backup pizza place.

I need to check to see if Sherrel got out of the maze.

TomO

I need to check to see if Sherrel got out of the maze.

TomO
TMKRpk2.jpg

1970 Mustang across tracks huh? Sounds like you know it firsthand.

Yes, Willie, it was a first hand experience of a young man who thought he was bulletproof; me, at 18yrs old. I pumped a-lot of gas @ .42 cents a gallon to get that car. Got the girl, as well.
Sad thing is, I treated the car like a 4-wheel drive and the girl like a queen. Looking back, it should have been the other way around.

Here's the evidence. 1974 photos from an Instamatic.
1970Mustang_1974.jpg

The girl dumped me for greener pastures in 1980. I sold the Mustang for $500.00. Today, the car would be worth a little more.

Good evening y'all...overcast and 68° with a 30% chance of rain overnight. Surprised there was so much activity today in the new Coffee Shop.
This year is slipping by rather fast!
Whoops, it just slid a little further. Sherrel, nice Frisco photo.
Guy: The CN Boxcar looks like a good project.
Willie: Always nice photos...great shot of the owl.
Terry: LOL !
"Exciting" day on over the air TV...CBS had Professional Rugby, NBC, the Olympics, Fox had NHRA Drag Racing..and ABC/Disney had the news (from Fantasy Land). 😒😞
August issue of Railroad Model Craftsman arrived Saturday. After several bland issues, this one had numerous interesting articles, plus and idea for what the other end of my railroad may look like.
Walthers Theme railroad for the new catalog year is the Pennsylvania RR. In addition to featuring the 1960 "General" as the passenger train, E8s in two schemes, FP7s, center gig top N6b Cabins, x29 boxcars in Merchandise Service LCL scheme from the 1950s, they are offering a Brick interlocking tower, and a brick combination station building based on PRR standard plan B-101. I'm interested in the station, and hope to research where that plan was used.
Looks like we are going back to the mask...😷 Too many folks around here are anti-vaxers, who are not wearing masks either. Wife, and to a lesser degree myself are compromised immunity, so no taking any chances until the latest surge settles down.No sense getting infected by someone trying to prove a point...:rolleyes:.
Train # 812 5-09-1960 @ Plainsboro.jpg

Train # 812 Eastward at Plainsboro, NJ enroute to the Shore via the Main Line PHL-Jersey City, the Dayton Branch and the Freehold Branch to the NY&LB for the trip from Trenton to Red Bank.

SECR-9 Southbound on the River 10-09-1978.jpg

SECR-9 Southbound on the River Line crossing Doodletown Bight between Stoney Point and Iona Island, NY. Bear Mountain in the background.

Good evening Shop Dwellers! It's 70*F and sopping wet here in central MD, after that brief T-storm that passed thru ~9:30pm. Thanks everybody who "clicked the button" or commented on my Saturday progress photoss: Tom-Cambria, Hughie, Jaz, Willie, Christian, Chad, SHerrell, Karl, Garry, Gary-S, Guy, DakotaSteve

Karl
- got my fingers crossed for Bud!

Willie - thanks for the tip on the construction paper, wonder why I hadn't thought about that myself earlier!

Steve (Dakota) - glad you recovered the missing Joe! That certainly would have been a tragic loss.

Steve (Dakota) - glad you recovered the missing Joe! That certainly would have been a tragic loss.

Guy - best of luck to your wife with her Covid test! At least if she was vaccinated, the symptoms [assuming that is Covid?] should not be all that bad. In my town, of the eight people who currently have it, four had the vaccine and four did not. The ones who were not vaccinated had severe symptoms [though not to the point of needing hospitalization], while 2 of those who had their shots had very mild symptoms and the other 2 were totally asymptomatic.

Tom (Cambria) - glad your party was successful! The last few words in your post reminded me of THIS:

A few more details about my weekend...

A couple hours after my Friday evening post, MOH complained: "Honey, why isn't there any hot water?" So the first thing I did was head down to the laundry room where the hot water heater is...and it was a f****** LAKE!o_O Water was everywhere, and had already soaked part of the carpet in the adjacent family room and den. Turned that somebody had set the water level dial on the washing machine in between two settings, and confused the level sensor about when to stop filling...so it had just kept pumping on and on, until I stopped it.

Luckily, we had both a shop vac and a wet-dry vac at our disposal to get rid of the water. I got ~10 gallons sucked up by the shop vac from the laundry room, while MHO used the wet-dry vac on the carpeted areas. I relieved her at midnight so she could get some sleep since she was "on call" and had Saturday office hours in the morning. I stayed up until 2:00am sucking up as much water as the wet-dry vac could squeeze out of the carpet.

...so, as a result, I wasn't out of bed until ~9am Saturday morning [very late for me] and I really didn't get any "me" time due to all the usual weekend chores and errands that needed doing, including mowing the lawn. At least I was able to confirm that the silicone gel I had used as adhesive for the final assembly of my Ford plant facade had worked, as shown in yesterday's photos.

I did get ~4 hours this afternoon to commence work on the neighboring structure of the one I'd been working on, cutting Evergreen "corrugated metal" sheet styrene into the required sizes and shapes to make up the "kit". Of course, I discovered that I didn't have enough strip styrene for the building trim and would need to buy some. Only one problem with that, though: Seems like all of the hooby shops within driving distance were completely sold out of all the sizes I originally wanted (another Covid-induced supply shortage, ya think?). Due to the schedule crunch, I didn't want to order directly from Evergreen and have to wait at least a week, maybe longer, for the pieces to arrive. I wound up ordering some of the next-smaller size that MBK still had in stock, I'll take an afternoon off from work this week and to go pick them up.

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Welp, for any who saw my post about my missing Little Joe but didn't see my follow-up, I found it. Naturally, I left it in a really stupid place which was also out of sight. Found it by accident, thankfully.

Still plugging away at scenery work:
SummitEngineHouse.jpg< Before IMG_20210801_200505874.jpg<As of two hours ago
IMG_20210801_200513052.jpg
Turns out my club has been sitting on seven bottles of different static grass colors, and a homemade applicator (which even had static grass in it!) but we have absolutely zero on the layout. Something I hope to change, as our layout looks like it's straight out of 1993. My goal is to freshen up all of the layout scenery and advance the place into the 2020's.

I have our grass and applicator at home to mess around with and get the hang of. I'll be starting on that after this post!

I also visited the Twin Cities Model Railroad museum for the first time today. Really cool being around bigger trains for a change. They have a working example of every scale from Z on up to Standard. I can't imagine children running Standard gauge way back in the day, that stuff is massive!

Morning all,

Spent Saturday looking to ID the grill I and my brother bought for the parents for a wedding anniversary in about 1976. Learned a lot as I was directed to a faceplace group about the grill. The wife joined and in 45 minutes, I knew more about the grill than I was able to find on my own. Grill company was founded post WWII and faltered in the early 70's. This I knew and that there's a new company whose owner tracked down the design and trademarks and purchased and restarted making the grills. What I didn't know is that an intermediary company bought out the original company and designed and built a slightly different grill using the 1st company's trademark. Mine is one of the step children made by the intermediary company. I have managed to get the base back together and found wheels online that will work. I have to cut some sheet metal to make new vent covers and then clean up the grill grate that dad found someplace and then alter the fire grate and the grill is back in business. I even was told where to find the model #, but no parts are available. New company Has parts for the original 50's grills as their base model is a clone of the original. The things we do for 'que. The company is called Portable Kitchen. A new copy of the original will set one back about $370. Solid aluminum so it won't rust, but the paint will fade over time.

Sunday, the wife and I went to babysit the youngest granddaughter so her parents could get paint on the walls at the new house they're building.
Still have to mow as it was way too hot Friday when I got home to do it and Saturday was a mess with getting some of the distance shopping done and looking for stuff to repair the grill. It was only on my list since I brought the grill back with me in December.
Busy, busy, busy and back at work this morning.

Good Morning Everyone. Cloudy and 72°, maybe some more rain soon. It rained .75" yesterday evening and stopped. There is currently (0530) light rain falling less than a mile from here. That rain threatened all day yesterday but didn't start until 0700 - 0900. North wind felt good all day and it never got above 91°, only 88° predicted for today. The downside of the north wind is that there are several volunteer cottonwood trees over 45' tall on the north side of my pond/train shed that released those damn cottony seeds that litter the pool surface! In addition, a cottonwood tree is good for nothing but pulpwood; they have a really lousy BTU conversion when burned, worse than pine; and the branches are weak and prone to break off because the tree grows so fast.
Pool temperature did drop to 84° and likely won't rise for another 3-4 days.
I grilled "Hatch Chile" brats on the grill last night for a delicious dinner along with sauerkraut and a green bean/mozzarella/Parmesan cheese dish that I made up. It was the first use of some of the green beans that I pressure-canned back in June. I am pleased to say that that particular batch is not only tasty but successful.
My wife goes for a chest x-ray today since she told the doctor last week about some lingering coughing. Not sure whether she wants me to tag along or not.

Thanks to all of my fellow Coffee Shop patrons for the likes and comments regarding my photos yesterday; Sherrel, Troy, Danberwyn, Jaz, Karl, James, Garry, Tom, Guy, Ken, Tom O, Joe, Rick, Gary S, Christian, Patrick.

Good Morning Flo. I'll take some of Troys leftover pulled pork if he left any for the rest of us.

Didn't get to spend much time in the train shed yesterday, the usual Sunday stuff. Mass, socializing with another couple for lunch, nap, washing and changing the bed linens, grilling in the evening and of course the inevitable two visits to the pool.
I did paint some crude trees on the backdrop that I installed last month, and made eight more stand alone trees at the workbench. Some of those got installed but I didn't take time to take a picture of just a couple of trees.
I posted about six weeks ago that I was interested in starting a picture blog of the layout and I have been reviewing some of the picture backlog that I have. Tom O has posted several times that some of my shots have inspired him to consider adding a city scene to his layout. So here's a couple from my small town of Vernon (named after my FIL), to help encourage him. Sorry if any seem to repeat something from past years.
A partial block of small businesses. All of these came from Smalltown USA structures. The boutique is he only one that came with a sign, the others were bought before they started including signs in their kits.
IMG_7036.JPG
IMG_7035.JPG

IMG_7034.JPG

IMG_7037.JPG

this last structure is Tina's Tick Tock Shop, a clock store. It's actually a Walther's Barber Shop that I am using differently.
10-11-20 022.JPG

Note that on the barber shop, I choose not to use the door set-backs.

Danderwyn - I see that you liked my post yesterday morning, along with liking a few others. How about making a post and introducing yourself and join in some of the conversations. We are a very friendly bunch of people.
Guy - Hope that your wife's test turns out negative. That's a nice photo of the CN boxcar even if it's not yours. My guess though is that it was taken in the late 50's due to the lack of weathering.
Tom O - I can't comment specifically on your rant without going overboard and censured for being political, but I agree with you completely. We seem to be in a "gimme" mode as a society these days.
Too bad about not being able to pay respects to the departed.
Hughie - Yes, the room is 20' x 32' with no obstructions. If I used N scale, it would be an enormous empire. But I found that N scale was hard for me to work on even when I was younger. Not so much visually but my big clumsy fingers.
Karl - Sorry that I can't help you out with the thinning, but those eastern roads and that era will not fit in with my layout. I know that they are probably all excellent runners. I especially like the looks of the WM unit.
Jaz - Excellent modeling. What is it? Is it a pen for loading sheep into a stock car or truck?
Troy - OK, what did I win? ;) When I smoke a pork butt to make pulled pork, I freeze the leftovers in quart size Ziploc freezer bags for future use. A quart sized one makes exactly the right amount for the two of us. I actually cut the butt in half beforehand and only smoke half of it. I use the other half for making carnitas.
Tom - How lucky you are that the rain waited until after the reception.
Ken - You're welcome. Boy! Not a pleasant way to spend a Friday evening. I am assuming that there was no major damage.

Everyone have a great day. Don't work too hard Karl.

Troy - OK, what did I win? ;) When I smoke a pork butt to make pulled pork, I freeze the leftovers in quart size Ziploc freezer bags for future use. A quart sized one makes exactly the right amount for the two of us. I actually cut the butt in half beforehand and only smoke half of it. I use the other half for making carnitas.

Pulled Pork Sammich... Pick it up at my place. ;)

For the Carnitas, do you microwave the smoked meat, or do the full cook in lard? We've been thinking of trying them. Usually do beef or chicken in our tacos or burritos

Morning folks- coffee, FLO, Lots of it; I see that TOM wants the pot ... I'll take the other one?

Supposed to be 99 degrees for a high today ... the forecast calls for "Sunny and Hot"!

The kids just came downstairs for the morning so I will have to return in a while.
Meanwhile I am looking for my DEFRIEND button to use on KARL - LOL! Lost in my lunch box - that;s good KARL!

BBL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back