Running Bear's April 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon All,

Spent about 4 hours today at the workbench and thankfully I'm done with side bracing (for now) since I finished the 2nd and third side to the upper tipple. The next step is adding the 2 roofs but I will wait until the end because I want to add lighting when the rest of the build is done. Based on that the next step is the conveyors in the lower tipple. I also received in the mail today the last major business for the new layout.

Thank you for the likes on yesterdays photos.

Louis- Nice photos.

Mikey- As long as you clean and flush the parts with water there is no residue

Alan- Thanks for the tips. Nice job on the UP car.

Toot- Nice tram pictures.

Joe- Nice looking shifter. Gas here yesterday was running around $1.71.

Willie- Excellent details and I really like the signage on the white house.

Louis- Interesting about the dogs. My critters would knock it off the track which is why I can't have a train around the Christmas tree.

James- I hope you get relief quickly.

20200424_132638.jpg

20200424_134232.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Daggum calcium deposits. Growing up in WI and becoming a cheese head has its price. I drank a gallon of milk a day when I was in my prime and have no idea how much cheese I had but at least the stones are not from sugar
Not just the cheese and milk, but tea, spinach, beets, peanut butter, chocolate and all kinds of delicious nuts. Don't bother asking how I know this!:mad: However I use beer as a flushing agent along with gallons of water.

Good afternoon. Was out of town yesterday with my son to pick up his new (used) Subaru Forrester. His old Forrester was a 2000 with 260 miles on it and was starting to need small repairs. The new one is a 2012 with 107,000 miles on it. The dealer had just done the water pump, timing belt and some other service items but he got a good price because it was a manual 6 speed transmission. We acted like we weren't interested in it because of the manual gearbox when that's exactly what he wanted. They originally wanted 11 K for it but after some negotiating and waving a fist full of $100 bills under their nose, we got it for $8,200. It was sitting on their lot for a while and the end of the month was coming up. I am happy for him as he did really need to replace the old one. He says that he also has a buyer ofor it so it's sitting in my shop.

Garry - Like the layout photos.

Willie
- Yours are winners also. I used the Walthers Cannery for my potato shipping warehouse. Did a bit of kit bashing on it as it wouldn't fit as a cannery as a stock kit. Some loading docks were moved around as well as doors and a door was added in one end so a reefer car could be spotted inside the building as seen in the 3rd photo. The boiler house was used to spply steam to the roundhouse.

thumbnail_20190531_143844.jpg

thumbnail_20180804_145325.jpg

thumbnail_20190402_144557.jpg

thumbnail_20190221_143954.jpg

Guy
- Nice locomotive photos.

Louis
- Good photos especially the WM F unit.

Gotta cut it short. Have a phone call.

Later

I had to read this several times, all the while trying to fend off mental images of your dogs hunting Moby Dick, who was riding a flatcar past your house. It's been that kind of morning, and you're not helping.
Sorry Beady, I should have chosen a different adverb, one more formal at least, but I wanted to emphasize how big and grand the sound is.

Last edited:
The pandemic just got personal. My Cowboy shooting club cancelled its first meet, scheduled for next month. That may have been premature, since the governor just today lifted restrictions on outdoor events so long as social distancing is maintained. Oh well, this is the first time I've experienced a noticeable change to my normal routine. State shooting ranges should open in the next few days, so I'll have an outlet for my more violent tendencies.

That is one thing I've always been interested in but have never started -- Cowboy Action Shooting. Though I think most people just do it to dress up and hang out :) I've gone and looked at the various revolvers and lever actions etc. Drooled... But never pulled the trigger.

My neighbor is heavily into it (and actually heavily into all sorts of shooting sports). So it is not lack of access or mentoring. Mainly time and cost for me right now. One of these days :)

That is one thing I've always been interested in but have never started -- Cowboy Action Shooting. Though I think most people just do it to dress up and hang out :) I've gone and looked at the various revolvers and lever actions etc. Drooled... But never pulled the trigger.

My neighbor is heavily into it (and actually heavily into all sorts of shooting sports). So it is not lack of access or mentoring. Mainly time and cost for me right now. One of these days :)
If you ever go for it, let me know. Like with MRR stuff and Legos, I overbought atrociously while I was working and can probably help you out. Guns and clothing.

If you ever go for it, let me know. Like with MRR stuff and Legos, I overbought atrociously while I was working and can probably help you out. Guns and clothing.

Thanks. I may look at Cowboy shooting once we get settled in the new house and stress goes down :) I know I've been tempted by it many many times. My neighbor has invited me to go with him a few times.

With guns I know how easy it is to "over buy." I am a Dillon Precision dealer and used to (technically still do but have let it be for a while after getting burned out around 2012) run an online parts and accessories store in addition to Dillon stuff and my own personal collection of non cowboy oriented stuff is a little over done. Ok, a lot over done. (I have half a dozen black rifles [which aren't actually black], half built and parts waiting to be put together, and several older surplus rifle actions to make sporters from, etc. as well as almost 1/2 dozen presses). (If anyone needs Dillon stuff I can help out and help you save a little through free or reduced shipping -- not my main business any more but I am still hooked up and still help out my customer base as they need it)

The measure tool on Google says the current pit is just about 50 acres. Somewhere I have photos from the freeway of a train loading there.

The wye at Whitehall is the start of the branch to Alder. Here is the spot where the Alder branch and Milwaukee main line used to cross. Last time I was there the NP/MRL tracks were still in place to Twin Bridges. I didn't realize it had been removed.
There's some long and lonely miles out there. If you do find those photos of the loading operation, post them up, would love to see them.

Good morning America, how are ya? It's 55 and rainy with a high of 66 and rainy. Enough with the rain! Waiting to see what gets delivered from Lowe's, Home Depot, Amazon, Walmart or Target. That determines the direction for my day. A little better than sticking my finger in the wind, but not much! Speaking of fingers, I'd like to give it to Captain Trips!!! :mad: Most of you know what that is, especially Stephen King fans.

Here in TN, they are starting to loosen restrictions for the Shelter in Place guidelines. Hope things don't spiral out of control before they are even aware of what's happening. IL on the other hand, has extended theirs until the end of May. We'll see how things play out.

I might dig through some of my models and see if there are any that I might get motivated to work on. Or I might just watch more train videos on Youtube. I really like the old industrial movies and the Stobe the Hobo videos. If you haven't watched any of Stobe's videos, I would urge you to try one or two as a sample.

I want to emphasize how much I enjoy reading all the posts and seeing all of the pictures that are posted here and through out this site. It's a connection to the outside world and reassurance that there is still a degree of normalcy somewhere in the world. I don't give a thorough run down very often, I'm just not a fast enough typist. Plus, I often get on here on my Kindle and a virtual keyboard isn't very conducive to a lot of typing.

Sherrel-You didn't miss anything of value.

Stay safe and six feet away. Wash your hands and don't forget behind your ears, too!:p

A Joyous Good Morning to all😀!! I couldn't stop in for a coffee yesterday, because I was too busy being a slave for one of my prime clients; the super rich lady that lives a few blocks away, in a much larger house flanked by a forested park. She hires me for some kind of home improvements every year, and pays well in cash. Yesterday, I turned her 6' outdoor privacy screen into an 8' screen, and built her a 6' tomato planter for her deck. Now I have enough cash to buy some benchwork lumber.

It's 30F here at 7:00am, heading up to a blistering 60 that will make me put some short pants on. There's not a cloud in the beautiful blue sky! I'm expecting some higher winds to develop, but, it can't always be a perfect day. Perhaps, I'll get some opportunity to do some hobby stuff today after a toasted steak-n-eggs with onion breakfast.

I never got a chance to do hobby work and take photos yesterday, so you'll have to settle on some recent rolling stock photos I took on a walk downtown.
This is a 72' flat car with a weird bulkhead at one end only. I don't know much about railcars, but, I think this was owned by CN, and was taken over by On-Track Railway for MoW cartage purposes. That's just guessing, so someone can certainly correct me if this car type is familiar.
One thing I notice, is that telescopic yellow bar on the end; I believe that can be set down to prevent the car from rolling away:
CN 621136_2020 (1).jpg

CN 621136_2020 (2).jpg

CN 621136_2020 (4).jpg

Sherrel - I won't be the one to tell, because Bob will put me into double secret prohibition if facts are brought up again.

Burlington Bob - I'm going to check out a Stobe Hobo video

That's all I got for now, except, everyone have a wonderful, peaceful and productive Saturday in the sun!
Guy

Good Saturday Morning All. Partly cloudy and 53°, going up to only 75° today. Long range forecast is calling for 90's by next weekend. No rain in sight.:mad: I did spend some time yesterday thinning out unnecessary trees in the "back 40". They should be dried and cured by next January when I need them for heating. I pruned trees in December and January that will provide the fuel in the early winter. They dry quickly in the summer heat around here.

Tractor/mowers - About ten years ago, I had to replace my 41"-22hp mower and I got a 27hp-52" one and all of a sudden I couldn't fit through some places!:( Doesn't take near as long to mow three acres though!

Thanks for all of the likes and comments yesterday; Tom, Louis, Guy, Mikey, Bob, Sherrel, Patrick, Chad, Phil, James, Paul, Chet, Curt, Jerome, Ken, Garry, Rick.

Something a little different today. Instead of touring the layout, I took my camera with me while walking yesterday.
Immediately out the door and I am always greeted by the lush wheat field across the road.
04-25-20 009.JPG

As you can see, the plants are about 20" tall and are beginning to "head-out". Soon it will be "amber waves of grain".
The cow pasture/meadow across the other road is serene today, as the residents are social distancing elsewhere.
04-25-20 008.JPG

You can barely see the lake over there.
Looks like the county road maintenance people were bored Thursday, as they partially cut the grass on the side of the road.
04-25-20 006.JPG

Of course visible here is the new row of utility poles obscuring my view. I guess that I should get used to them as they aren't going to go away.:mad:
One place that they don't have to mow is the frontage along my eccentric neighbors property. He does it himself, including using a weedeater along 1000' of fence!:eek:
04-25-20 004.JPG

04-25-20 002.JPG

Too bad he didn't pay as much attention when he had his fence and gates installed 18 months ago.
04-25-20 003.JPG

04-25-20 005.JPG

Let me have a couple of those sausage, egg and cheese biscuits this morning Flo. And an side order of hash-browns with plenty of ketchup.

Out in the train shed, I worked on some rolling stock. First up is a covered hopper kit from Accurail that has been staring at me for the past few days after I parked a train above the workbench.
04-16-20 010.JPG

It is sadly in need of weathering. Let's start with graffiti. I know that it's not popular with some modelers, but it is a fact of life on anything after 1980.
04-16-20 011.JPG

That's a Blair Line decal.
Then the weathering powders, I am going for a lightly weathered look. I use AIM weathering powders because that's what my LHS carried.
04-20-20 020.JPG

OOOPS! Reached my limit on picture attachments for this post.

Patrick - Good luck with the mower.
Beady - That's too bad about the shooting club. Probably couldn't get away with doing it in your front yard.
I have no idea what you're talking about; must have missed the memo. However, if necessary, I volunteer to feel offended if it's necessary to maintain emotional balance.
A page and a half of deleted posts that used a lot of unnecessary electrons.
Paul -
King George III's birthday is June 4. The celebration on April 23, is celebrating St George, a soldier from the 3rd Century who is the patron saint of England. He's the one that "killed the dragon" and was martyred on April 23, 303.
Correct sir!:) You know your history well.
James - Hope that you have passed the stone by now.
Joe - I am with you on other model railroad forums. While I am a member of a half dozen others, this one is the only one that I still actively participate on. It just takes up too much time and I have too many other things that I am interested in. I do however manage to get out of the Coffee Shop every now and then.
Chet - I have always liked your potato warehouse, especially the idea of cutting a RR door into one end. I have a second one that my grandsons gave me for Christmas and I intend to copy your idea, although potatoes don't fit my modeling locale. That would help differentiate it from the original cannery.
Sherrel - Up early again today? You need a "doggie door"!

Today is National Telephone Day, you know, that seldom used app on your phone!
Everybody have a great day.

Question for moderators. What happened to Mark, NP2626? I noticed in some older threads that he is now identified as a "guest".
Northern Pacific layout

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back