Running Bear’s July 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
A tunnel motor-led GM train rolls West toward its end terminal.
E144C032-4F97-4CA4-AAC8-FE7B0D2D37AC.jpeg

Good evening all! Another hot one. (Not the link from Em). Today was grocery trek day. Can you say expensive.

On the generator project, boy is it a big one. It doesn't fit in the shed I bought. It does have some nice bells and whistles like a 12 v jumper to charge the battery. So a new shed has been ordered with the usual wait time. I may have a buyer for the existing shed, so that's a positive.

On the railroad front, the Bar Mills stuff is due tomorrow. Of coarse finding time to work on them is now an issue. With hurricane season in full bloom, my priority is going to be the generator.

McLeod - I like others have a different Road as the center of my railroad (B&M). Not sure if a CN would be seen in Western Mass. or Vermont. I do enjoy your photos so keep them coming.

STAY SAFE
LATER

Tom, pictures of the party tents are so much nicer then the flooding pictures. Enjoy the celebration.
Thanks, although it did make the grass green up like it was spring.
Tom - A 'mosquito company'?!? Never heard of it, and definitely won't throw hard earned money away on one. 'Raid' is our mosquito company. But, we don't have many mosquito's this year; to hot and dry
We have several in the area. Well worth the money when you have a large amount of guest over. Works great and last about 3-4 weeks.

Screenshot_20210730-192209_Samsung Internet.jpg

I haven't been around in a bit so I figured I'd stop by. Didn't even get parked good and I've got a lot lizard banging on my truck door. I don't think Ms. Flo would appreciate nakedness running loose in the parking lot. She's slinging it out both britches legs out here... Somebody please come get this infestation off of my truck so I can come in for a cup of coffee.

Last edited:
Good evening Shop Dwellers! It's 73*F and calm under partly cloudy skies in my region. Thanks to all who "liked" and/or commented on my latest post, which is probably long forgotten by now.

Karl - so sorry to learn that Bud has relapsed! I hope there will be some way to restore him to health, but I agree that you can't just watch the poor guy suffer...☹

Hughie - I hear ya on the generator! You might remember my own postings on here back in late February/early March about the portable one that I got. While not as elaborate as the one you're installing, it does provide peace of mind that IF we should lose our power in the dead of winter, we'll still be able to run our furnace, well pump, refrigerators and and other essential items. I was having serious anxiety whenever Accuweather predicted major ice storms for our area.

I know it's been a good 5 days since the last time I posted anything in here (other than leaving "likes"). I've been hunkering down trying to get this Ford plant pseudo-structure completely painted - and window panes and other details added where needed. But naturally, Murphy just HAD to intrude on my plans!

The first incident was on Monday evening while I was working on connecting two sections straddled by a loading dock. I was using [Plastruct] PlasticWeld, and in a moment of clumsiness, I knocked over the open jar - which was ~4" away from one of the secitions. So a corner of one of the brick panels had glue spilled on it. Luckily I was able to grab the piece immediately and shake-off most of the glue before the bricks melted, but it still left a glossy stain:

SpilledPlasticWeld_01.jpg

I spent the remainder of the evening trying to redo the brick mortar lines, but I just couldn't get rid of the sharp boundary line between the stained and un-stained bricks. Hopefully nobody will be noticing that defect when they're 3 feet away and focusing mainly on the train:

SpilledPlasticWeld_AfterFix.jpg

...but if I can figure out some plausible reason for a large sign or poster to cover that spot, I'd like to do that. Problem is, I just can't think of why the prototype Ford Motor Co. would even put a sign in a spot that's usually hidden when a hi-cube boxcar is spotted there.

Tuesday, it took me much longer to scratch-build the pieces to frame the loading dock openings, since I not only had to cut them to sizes that fit together perfectly, but to paint them as well - I was still working on completing those dock openings all the way thru Wednesday evening. And on Thursday, I was cementing pieces of .040"-thick styrene strips on the undersides to prop-up some of the thinner wall sections, so they would line up evenly where they adjoined the neighboring thicker sections.

Finally by this afternoon, I was ready to cement the wall sections onto the Lexan backing. On the advice of a friend, I used clear silicone caulking gel for this - since that takes 24 hours to cure and would leave me plenty time to do any last-minute repositioning or alignments. Now I just need to wait until 5pm Saturday before I try to pick up the finished facade. I still have to do a few corrugated metal facades, but at least those will be much quicker to paint since they are a solid color and very few windows. Hopefully that will leave me enough time in the evenings to participate more frequently in here...

Good Night, and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Good Morning!
Sadly, it's expected to hit near 90F today, under a blistering hot sun. Can't tell if the sky is still blue, due to all the smoke in the air.
I intend to walk the dog through the forest early, and then spend the rest of the day sitting in the shade with my camera. I'm betting there will be lots of birds looking for a cool bath, like this Black-capped Chickadee:
BlCapChickadee_07-30-2021.jpg

The styrafoam ball fountains I built are ugly, but, seem to be a success in attracting some birds to the garden.

Willie - You need to get yourself a whole flock of House Sparrows. Notice that delicious grasshopper the female Sparrow living in our bird-box has in it's beak :
FemHseSparrow_07-29-2021.jpg

You just wait. I'm going to send a whole bunch of Sparrows down your way, come the end of September. Until then, the birds seem quite contented with the water, seed, and bugs our garden has to offer.
Bye-the-way, Willie, thank you for the kind words you penned out for yesterday's post. Really appreciated.

Here's a prototype railroad example that could very easily be incorporated into the layout. A specific place to maneuver a high-rail vehicle onto and off the tracks. If you've ever driven your 1970 Mustang across the tracks where there weren't no crossing, you would have come to realize why these are a good idea. Saves on the bumps and scraps.
Ballast_07-28-2021 (4).jpg

Here's another shot, just to prove it's not a crossing:
CrossingWrCrt_07-28-2021 (2).JPG

Everybody, thanks for the likes and comments on these simple to write posts. The hardest thing penning these, is finding the time to write in peace, before others want some attention. Like the dog who shoves her nose on my lap because I haven't walked her yet. Or the wife who wants yet another birdbath; bigger and better. Or the leaky faucet.

Have a good one!!!

Dang It! MIA for one day and all hell breaks loose! Old Fogies, huh, Willie? I represent that remark!
OK - not exactly sure what's happened, but sure seemed to stir the pot?

Nice photos and chit-chat to everyone.

I thought that the weather man's machine was broken. Those low 90's were really mid to high 90's - topping out at an official 99 degrees yesterday and looking for the same today although the "machine" is once again stating 91 again?

Not much new around here -- the youngest daughter dropped the 4/5 mo old #8 G-son here with me while she had a Dr's appointment. Charlie, the Bichon, thinks the baby is another toy for him to play with - he goes "nuts" with excitement.

TERRY - I have been wondering about all those spam messages -- I was going to ask you if someone left the door open.
I have lost count on how many I have "bonked".

Karl - I am so very sorry to hear about BUD's problems.

Ken, you can Google Fred Jones Manufacturing. They have been an authorized remanufacturer of Ford parts for decades, and their current home office/factory is in a building that looks very, very similar to your factory. Finding a logo and printing it onto decal paper should be an easy thing, and would be something very few other people have on their layouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back