Roundhouse lighting

RJasonB

ITS_MFRR est. 2010
I am near the end of construction on a 9-stall Walthers Modern Roundhouse. All that remains is gluing the two side walls and center roof plates in place. Initially, I decided against lighting as this fell outside the scope of what I wanted... at that time. After three months of work on paint, detailing, and assembly, it seems a waste not to add interior, and even exterior lights, before it is too late to do so. A quick internet search yielded lots of possibilities. Something in a kit would be preferred as I am not an electronics expert. I'd like to go LED. It does not hurt my feelings if someone else figures out the appropriate power source, bulbs, resistors, etc. I've considered some of the passenger car lighting kits out there, but have thought this to be too much light. Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks! Jason in Colorado

In case anyone was interested... I ran two rows of 2.4 mm grain of wheat bulbs in parallel from one side of the structure to the other. Each stall has two bulbs for illumination. I powered the set up using an old cell phone charger. Thankfully, I did not mount anything permanently. The lights add a nice touch aesthetically, but eighteen bulbs is almost too much. I will likely remove half and see how it looks before anything permanent. Jason MFRR.

If they're bulbs you can add some resistors inline to reduce the light output, or a variable power supply.

Got something like this in mind?
IMG_1611A.jpg

In my Scratchbuilt modern Trainsheds I used LED's w/resistors. I also put some tinfoil above the bulbs to make the lights show downward to keep the glare from the ceiling. I also painted the inside of the roof w/2 coats of flat dark blue to keep the lights from shining thru the outside of the roof.

Back