Roads and materials

Hi VinnyV123,

I have been doing this train thing for about twenty years now. If you are talking about asphalt or concrete roads then Woodland Scenics system of foam tape and plaster works very well. It is easy to put down and can be configutered to any shape. It takes paint very well and give the surface great texture.

I have also use styrene, cardstock, tile grout(two heavy and hard to work), and pre-printed road sheets. In my hands none of these other options gave as realistic a looks as the plaster.

I use thin foam rubber sheets from Michaels Crafts - the kind kids cut shapes out of to stick on whiteboards or to make puzzles. I use black or gray - they're about 1/4-in thick and cost $0.99 for a sheet (abt 8X10, I think).

You can paint them, scuff 'em up with sandpaper, etc. to make a more realistic looking surface. Did I mention they're cheap?

for asphalt I like aluminum oxide (it's black/dark grey) 200-400 grit wet-dry sandpaper.

also, doing a search/advanced search (see it up on the top blue menu bar) for the word "roads" (without the "") will turn up a huge list of threads that are chock full of more ideas, pictures and hints.

Back