Rivarossi 2-8-4 Berkshire

cavtrooper

I recently purchased a Rivarossi Berkshire, but it seems as if the tender wheels may have been replaced with smaller wheel sets. What would the original scale wheel size have been? Scale 36, 33 or smaller?

Thanks ahead of time for the help

Found this on O Gauge forum, but the drawing authors name is probably on lower corner.
00308533.jpg

Looks like 33 inch wheels on tender trucks.

Awesome, thank you! I ran the locomotive on my home track and it seems that the molded brakes are rubbing the track. I appreciate all of the help

I just saw a video on this and the guy used Roll-Tru wheels because of this exact problem. He used wheels that were a fraction smaller to clear the brake shoes. There's a chart on this page to select the correct wheels for the brand.

I recently purchased a Rivarossi Berkshire, but it seems as if the tender wheels may have been replaced with smaller wheel sets. What would the original scale wheel size have been? Scale 36, 33 or smaller?
Rivarossi, often used smaller wheels to clear their oversized brake shoes. Most notably are the heavy weight passenger cars.

Hi. I looked up Berkshire in my copy of the Cyclopedia by Model Railroader which gives plans of many locos.
The three Berkshires shown , Erie. , L&N, and NKP by Lima, Baldwin and Alco all have 33 inch tender wheels.
Hope this helps.

That is proto but his trains aren't, that's why he will need the smaller 31.75" wheels, they are just small enough to not rub yet still large enough to be un-noticeable.

Back