removing floquil paint

NYSW F45

Will 91% isopropyl alcohol remove floquil paint from a shell? I had 2 shells primed and painted with floquild enamels. they unfortunately had some bad area's that got worse when I tried to fix them. So I am left with stripping the paint and starting over. But I want to make sure I'll be able to remove the paint later tonight without issues.

Especially if it hasn't been on there that long it should. You can also use brake fluid that works great too. Try the alcohol, either it will work or it won't but I'm pretty sure that it will. I don't know exactly how long it will take but I would think that fairly fresh paint it should come off pretty quick. Good luck!:)

its been a week since all has been done to it. i set them in the alcohol last night and will check on them tonight after work. i hope it removes it.

24 hours in 91% and it barely softened it enough to remove. Im letting sit overnight again. I was able to get some off but not even close to stripped.

You'll need to media blast it off. I've painted with only Floquil paints for 25 years now, trust me.

yea i kinda started to figure that. I have one of those small airbrush kind that uses baking powder. It was bought used, what PSI should I use?

Man the wife is going ot hate me when I do this in my bathroom paintroom. LOL

SuperClean first or oven cleaner second.

Also check the local hardware or paint store for paint stripper. Just carefully read the label to ensure it is safe with plastics.

And if you search this forum for "stripping paint" you will find a number of discussions on various products.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not wanting to start a flaming war or anything, just passing on the knowledge that I have from all of the years or stripping and painting shells.

Here's some of the problem with a lot of the different strippers that people use. Plastic gets soft and deforms the shell, plastic gets brittle due to the chemicals used then breaks when drilling detail parts on or installing handrails etc. Some of these strippers have been know to even melt away details on the shells. IMHO, media blasting is the safest, fastest, cleanest way to strip a shell. If your using baking soda, do it outside the garage, won't hurt anything and clean up is easy.

thanks Jerome, what PSI do you recommend?

and im going to go at it again tonight and see if it makes any difference keeping it nearly 48 hours in the dip.

its an airbrush compressor that has not external tank and thas all I have. No garage compressor yet.

Steve, run it at 40-50 psi then, or as high as it'll go. I use the 80 gallon compressor in the garage @ 120 psi for media blasting. Takes everything off in one pass and doesn't damage the shell at all.

sounds good. Baking soda is good correct or is it baking powder? 2 days in the dip and it did crap, nothing. Whatever came off on day one was it, nothing more.

ok good, i got something right the first time LOL

Anyway i drained my stripping bucket and let the models dry. Paint started to flake and chip, I was able to get a little more off but the blaster is coming out tonight possibly.

well i gave it a go with the air eraser. It kept clogging on me and was driving me nuts. I was able to do some removal with it. But shells still have paint them. I think i have no choice at this time to a chemical.

Jerome, what kind of media blaster do you use? The one im using is from harbour freight and only goes to 65psi. I keep having to clean out the nozzle on the front that unscrews and the pipe the baking soda travels down. Any recommendations?

Back