Reflector Tape Decals

Only problem is the Microscale sheets are not actually reflective, as far as I've been informed.

Thanks! The Rock ordered some new ACF covered hoppers and they need them in compliance with the new rules.;)

You can buy reflective tape at auto supply stores. I have been using a brand by Alpena called SafeTape. You get three rolls 3' long for about 5 bucks. One each of red, yellow and white. Got mine at Canadian Tire. Not sure where you get it in the US. If you can't find it there send me a PM and I'll see what I can do for you. Ron

Same deal, most of the Major chains like Advance Auto Parts, Autozone, Oreillys, CSK, carry it. Look in the window tint, sticker, section.

I've tried the real reflective tape, cut to size, and it looks terrible. Way too thick and the small pieces don't stick well. The decals, even thought they aren't reflective, still look more like the real thing.

You can buy reflective 3M pin stripeing tape at a few of your better auto parts stores. It comes in 1/16th & 1/8th widths. If not at an auto parts, try a body shop. The ambulance companies in large cities also use the thin stuff on the sides of their vehicles or log onto 3M's web site & find a dealer near you.

Larry

Wal*mart carries the wider tapes, I just wish I knew of a shop that carried the stuff Larry mentions, thats what I want.

The pin striping tape is the same thickness as the reflective tape. I measured both and they measure up at .005 in. but the reflective tape will give you a lot more material and in three colors. Thats 5 times the thickness of clear scotch tape.

The pin striping tape is the same thickness as the reflective tape. I measured both and they measure up at .005 in. but the reflective tape will give you a lot more material and in three colors. Thats 5 times the thickness of clear scotch tape.
Whew! I wonder if you Goo Gone it to remove the adhesive, then carefully brush it on some 400 grit sand paper to thin it out, then use glue to apply it?

I think it is thicker due to the prism effect. It doesn't seem to even be made of the same plastic. Regular pin strip tape is alot softer and stretches, even in the wider 1" rolls. The prism tape is a lot harder to stretch around corners. I don't think it is that thick that it is noticeable though. As far as sticking goes it sems to depend more on the brand than anything else. The stuff I have been using as well as the 3m seem to stick fine, especially if you warm it up a little before sticking it on.

Back