Realistic operations with JMRI on a circular-ish layout

k4kfh

I've got a layout (in the process of being built; the track is laid and wired but turnouts aren't remote controlled just yet) on a 5x9 table (not any fancy custom benchwork, just flat plywood for the top) with a modified version of the famous Atlas "Great Eastern Trunk" track plan (I know, I know, shame me now, using a circular layout plan, I know, I'm scum :p). For a control system, I have a Digitrax Zephyr and a PR3 connected to a very very old laptop running JMRI (using Debian 7 for any Linux users out there :D).

Anyway, I want to get started with JMRI's OperationsPro function to do realistic train operation instead of just running 'em back and forth and moving cars around. The problem is that JMRI uses locations and routes to do the operations, and those functions seem a bit favored towards people with a non-circular layout (like the real railroads have). I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to have realistic operations on a circular layout?

As I said earlier, it's not a perfect circle, more of a kidney bean shape, but for all intents and purposes it's circular. The track plan is Atlas's Great Eastern Trunk, but with some modifications, mostly some sidings shifted around, and the mainline straights were extended to better fit the larger table. (Atlas recommends a 4x8 but we used a 5x9, the extra foot of width leaves room for a yard on the front).

Any and all ideas are appreciated!

Anyway, I want to get started with JMRI's OperationsPro function to do realistic train operation instead of just running 'em back and forth and moving cars around. The problem is that JMRI uses locations and routes to do the operations, and those functions seem a bit favored towards people with a non-circular layout (like the real railroads have). I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to have realistic operations on a circular layout?
Don't tell the JMRI it is a circle.

By doing laps you can make each "town" as far away from each other as you wish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Circle, point to point, out and back, simply don't matter for operation. Here's the GET track plan:
lg150-HO25_350x183.jpg

Good plan for starting operation, in fact. Yard and at least two industries. First step, name the stations (one that includes the yard, a second for the industries). Name the industries. Decide what cars the industries get. Set up a route between the two stations. Set up a train to run from the yard to serve the industries.

You've got it! JMRI can be some fiddling and work to get going, post your progress and questions here -- I've used it a lot and like it and can help, as I'm sure others can.

I wrote my own routing program in basic, it doesnt matter what the track plan is, it takes its info from industries, cars, locations and works it, its YOU the operator to make the train go where it supposed to then you update the system the car is moved. or actually I used a train update system, that train is done, those cars got moved and it does the work. I worked it to deal with interchanges, but BASIC limitations make me to find other methods. It makes me rather just go back to car cards and not deal with computers. At least in the 50's you dint have computers, all paperwork was in the caboose.
I havent tried the JMRI system yet, I have it, using it for signals for now.

Back