Railroad bridge fire, Central TX

From the article, "It’s not clear which railroad owns it."

Huh?

Also, how did the fire start? How did it spread so evenly across the deck of the bridge and not work its way down the legs of the bridge in so much time?

EDIT: I see now the legs were on fire. But the fire is so evenly distributed across the structure. Seems very strange to me.

Amazing that dude got the collapse on video. He sure was excited about it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like something right out of the movies! Any word on what caused it? Maybe one of those ubiquitous grass fires Texas is known for?

Also, how did the fire start? How did it spread so evenly across the deck of the bridge and not work its way down the legs of the bridge in so much time?

EDIT: I see now the legs were on fire. But the fire is so evenly distributed across the structure. Seems very strange to me.

Amazing that dude got the collapse on video. He sure was excited about it ;)
I was a volunteer fire fighter for seventeen years. It doesn't surprise me that the bridge went up the way it did. When creosote gets hot it burns like gasoline and it's so hot there's no way you can get close to it. The only other wood structure that would come close to that intensity is a wood frame house built of lighter pine. I've seen a lot of those go up. About all you can do is stand back and keep it from spreading to other structures. I bet these guys did the same thing.

That's just what they did. It must have started in the mid section someplace, they decided it was to dangerous to send crews out on the bridge it self, no way to get aerial truck in there so do the safe thing and let it burn.

Loud, I'm pretty sure your right and that is or was the bridge. Copied this from another forum "It belongs to the now Heart of Texas Railway formerly Gulf, Colorado, And San Saba Railroad." He had seen the bridge once and then could never find it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder if Loram forgot to soak it down before they ground the rail? :)

No wonder it collapsed so quickly, it had no cross bracing by the looks of it!

While fire does some crazy things, this looks deliberate and planned out by someone that knew what they were doing. It has the precision of an explosive demolition crew.

Back