Rail Power Pruducts Loco

bgfireman

I am in the process of building a RPP Dash 8CW Loco. I have the athearn motor and trucks called for in the instructions. I am having a problem with putting the shell on. It will not slide down all the way when the light board is on top of the motor.
I am looking suggestions on what can be done to fix this problem.
Thanks Alan

check the inside of the shell for any piece of resin that sticks out. If nothing on the inside, do some measuring to see if there is a height issue. If not, maybe sand down the inside of the shell to see if that helps.

I've built 2 RPP SD90MAC's. 1 has dcc and sound with no fitment issues. The other isn't dcc'd yet and the other 3 im still working on.(no motors)

It looks like there won't be enough room for you. If the Athearn motor sits on top of the frame (as opposed to sitting in a recess where the fuel tank is), then the motor with lightboard may be too high.

Take a small ruler (like a 6" one--use the CM/MM scale) and measure from where the frame fits on the shell to the top of the inside of the shell. If you measure along the wall or at the inside's minimum dimension (usually the sides since they are often rounded and lower than the top center), you'll find out quickly if something fits or not.

If it doesn't fit, a solution would be to hardwire a decoder (like a TCS T1 or Digitrax DH123) an put it forward, more towards the cab.

I am thinking of using one of these without the light board. It would fit in one end and the speaker in the other.
Alan
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360372532661?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I have now installed 3 of these in various loco's. The tightest squeeze was my Bachmann F40PH. I was able to fit the speaker in the gas tank. If you order it from Ulrich Models they will install the sound project you want (no charge). Unfortunately, they don't have a Dash 8 sound project yet. It's not a tsunami but it works and sounds pretty good for $40.
Here is a screenshot of the sound projects Ulrich Models will install for you.
-Art
SoundProjects.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Back