rail power 1370 power packs

jfb

:rolleyes: I will check back on sunday for posts. I was wondering the mrc 1370 power packs suggest that they could handle 4 to 6 trains and equal power of 18 va for swithches etc. I am at the point of all lights trains etc running at once do they really handle all of this ?

I was wondering the mrc 1370 power packs suggest that they could handle 4 to 6 trains and equal power of 18 va for swithches etc. I am at the point of all lights trains etc running at once do they really handle all of this ?
First I don't understand how it could handle 4-6 trains when it only has one throttle. I assume "they" mean 4-6 locomotives. Who is "they" that suggested this? Basically the 1370 is an 18VA unit which means it is putting out about 1 amp. So yes that could probably power 4 modern production locomotives or 1 manufactured the 1970s, but not much else. Or it will power 1 locomotive and 0.75 amps worth of light bulbs/LEDs.

I mean mrc corporation suggested 4 to 6 trains first of all and I am splitting the power through several atlas 215 selectors. mrc says that it is also fixed on the ac side of this power pack for 18 va. I am looking for a tried and trued experience, sometimes corporations due not include slight tolerances for errors that happen and go with the original blueprint and expectations of it. I am also using newer locomotives.

I am online now for about 10 minutes does anybody have real experience with these? I need real world experience I am at a critical point. mrc said that with these power packs 4 to 6 can be used and equal power for accessories with no power interruption in running trains. I bought this power pack with the best info at hand and the return time is short . I need real use experience and I contacted mrc with no call returns either.

I would say , if you cant get a definitive answer and return time is short , send it back . then purchase one that you KNOW will work . You could also buy/use a larger power source for your loco's and pick up a small source for all your accessories .

In my experience. I run my MRC Tech 4 260 for my trains and regular train set controllers for my accessories. That way I know my trains will run without me worrying if my accessories are going to interrupt my operations.

I understand that maybe most modelers are using dcc systems but some like me are not. I will check back next week for some info that I hope someone has I cannot return this later then 10 days from now. my model needs to be completed and the afternoon in cold weather is the perfect time to do it soon my outside project needs work and to be finalized also, it too is almost done. time is of the essence. enjoy yours and make the most of your time getting it done is the only way to enjoy it. I also try to buy buildings from swap meets built then they are also weathered or slightly bent , just think about that in real world terms, they also take the most time and are very tedious plus swap meets for trains are very reasonable in price.

I understand that maybe most modelers are using dcc systems but some like me are not. I will check back next week for some info that I hope someone has I cannot return this later then 10 days from now. my model needs to be completed and the afternoon in cold weather is the perfect time to do it soon my outside project needs work and to be finalized also, it too is almost done. time is of the essence. enjoy yours and make the most of your time getting it done is the only way to enjoy it. I also try to buy buildings from swap meets built then they are also weathered or slightly bent , just think about that in real world terms, they also take the most time and are very tedious plus swap meets for trains are very reasonable in price.
I run DC trains. I'm giving you ideas on what I have done with my previous layouts. All of which have worked for me. I'd rather have most of the power from my controller go to my trains. Then use the little 5 buck train controllers for my accessories. I've ran this way for two layouts and had no problems. I wouldn't try to run everything on one power pack simply cause I've had an athearn rtr gp40 derail and overload my pack. I'm sure the numbers they give they have ran as many. Just remember though that the numbers could be pushing the limits of your pack and one little hick up can create a monster.

thank you chessie , I will scour the Chicago swap meet soon for another mrc power pack,i need sufficient power for all by the way also check resale shops model railroad had a person once say that a mrc power in good condition and useful fully, was bought at one. they suggested that the mrc quality had stood the test of time. I tend to believe mrc or model railroad magazine they have stood the test of time, we all have to learn from experts.

I stick by my mrc tech 4 I love it. It has the momentum feature and everything I would want out of my trains. Mrc is the way to go in the DC world. I haven't transferred into DCC and with my budget it'll be some time before i do or if I do. So I understand your woes right now when it comes to getting help on DC. I'll lend you as much advice as I can.

... Basically the 1370 is an 18VA unit which means it is putting out about 1 amp. So yes that could probably power 4 modern production locomotives or 1 manufactured the 1970s, but not much else. Or it will power 1 locomotive and 0.75 amps worth of light bulbs/LEDs.
There is your answer.

The only way you could get a better answer was if someone had the exact same locomotives, track, accessories and wiring as your layout. Chances of that happening are slim to none and like the old saying goes, Slim left town.

When you design anything for power consumption usually the best you can do is to use the manufactures specifications and add 10-20% to your needs for tolerances and unusual occurrences.

Let us know how you make out and thanks for sharing your hobby with us.

this is along the lines of my completion date also. I am looking for the length of larry quench cars, bottle cars and slag cars these little hiccups or details slow me down.

hey thanks for all advice earlier from all first of all. I am seeing and hearing stories of people giving up this hobby and not completing this beautiful artwork we create. I hope that this disinterest does not keep going on it will harm us all in time.

I think it is like anything, the voice of discontent is always the loudest, but almost never the majority. I know I love this hobby and I hope many others find their way into it as well. I can't see many leaving this the greatest hobby in the world!

Only reasons why I have left is one I was a teen and girls were my interest like any regular teen male. Came back in my twenties cause I missed it. Moved to smaller living arrangements so I went without my layout and trains. Moved again had a spare bedroom to myself...yet another layout....yet again I ended up having to move....now I'm at it again planning my next layout...one that I hope I can move without losing it. I know I'll never quit the hobby. The trains I own will stay with me for as long as a draw breath. I love my trains!!!

I to love this hobby but a lot of younger people seem to be looking for easier hobbies like computers etc, I am looking to finish my layout and maybe expand in time and until then detail and enjoy mine.

Honestly nobody says you have to absolutely have a super looks realistic layout. When you are younger I know with me anyways I really wasn't shooting for a realistic layout I was just happy to be running my train on my table with my three buildings and matchbox cars. I think starting simple is the way to go. Just set em up and let em just enjoy the trains. Later on focus on the detail aspect. I have a stock of child friendly track. Bachmann EZ track and Life Like Power Loc. The whole reason I maintain the old train set variety engines and freight cars. I have planted the model railroading bug. She runs her wooden set right now on the occasion I'll bring out the bachmann track and run some trains with her on the floor. She loves it. Young age is where it starts.

Did you ever get your power packs sorted out? I have used just about all MRC products, I might be able to help.

Back