Quick ditch light question(s)

DJ Orion NS5426

NS & Conrail
Hey guys, I just purchased a details west ditch light kit for my Athearn SD50.
I have heard that the light bulbs should be 1.5v but the bulbs that were supplied were 3v. Should I need resistors? Also, I am wiring them into the headlight leads until I get a new decoder so does anyone have suggestions on where to run the cables? I want the lights to be below the walkway (not sure of the correct term, kind of new to this). Any help will be very much appreciated! Thanks.
-Jeff

So, you want pilot mounted ditch lights.

The wires should be run between the shell and the frame. Hopefully theres a channel for you to run the wires through. IF not, you'll have to mill the frame. As for the bulbs, hopefully theres room for them inside the shell. If not, you will have to drill slots out of the frame to clear the bulbs. You WILL need a resistor as track voltage is greater than 3 volts and will either bulb or get it hot enough to melt your shell. (I've had a Kato engine do that)

Ok, thanks. I know where I'll mill the frame then. Would I need a resistor for each bulb? And I forgot to mention that I'm running on a DCC layout. Would that make a difference? Again, I'm new to the modifying game.

Just get yourself some 38 AWG Magnet wire and you wont have to mill anything, Make sure its enamel coated and self fluxing and you can solder it to the leads and run it under the shell. Thats what I have been doing for years and it works great. PM me or EMail me at MGWSY@aol.com for more info and I can send you a little wire for you to try out.

Just get yourself some 38 AWG Magnet wire and you wont have to mill anything, Make sure its enamel coated and self fluxing and you can solder it to the leads and run it under the shell. Thats what I have been doing for years and it works great. PM me or EMail me at MGWSY@aol.com for more info and I can send you a little wire for you to try out.

Is that just wire with a coating so the actual leads won't get pinched?

Back