Question about turnouts on track plan

UPRRfan

I drew a track plan that was 9'-2" x 14' with #6 mainline turnouts and #5 industry and yard turnouts. The layout was a bit to big so I sized the track plan down to a 9' x 12' but I was wondering since I sized it down would that mean I would have to have different turnouts? Or can I still keep the #6 and #5 turnouts like I have planned on having in the first place?

Thanks for help!

More than likely you should be ok but it would depend on where the #6's were placed as well as how many #5's you were planning to have have coming off them due to the reduced length?

By reducing the layout length by two feet most everything is going to be compressed to a fair extent.

You may well need to at least revamp your track plan to adjust for the loss of real estate?

More than likely you should be ok but it would depend on where the #6's were placed as well as how many #5's you were planning to have have coming off them due to the reduced length?

By reducing the layout length by two feet most everything is going to be compressed to a fair extent.

You may well need to at least revamp your track plan to adjust for the loss of real estate?

I did change the track plan a little bit so it would look good and all due to the reduced length

For what it's worth I've found that most steamers (2-8-4's, 4-8-2's etc) don't like anything smaller than a #6. So I would keep the bigger switch tracks and cut back on the straight track to accommodate the shortening of the layout.
Mike

For what it's worth I've found that most steamers (2-8-4's, 4-8-2's etc) don't like anything smaller than a #6. So I would keep the bigger switch tracks and cut back on the straight track to accommodate the shortening of the layout.
Mike

Thanks for the help! I did shorten the straight track and now I will keep the #6 turnouts because I love to run steam locomotives haha :)
And also another quick question, can 2-8-4's and 4-8-2's run on 24" radius curves?

Back