question about ordering parts from athearn

Im looking into getting new trucks for my F45 and SW7 i talked to athearn & they said they had them in stock ready to ship, the only problem i see is they sayd 4-6 weeks for delivery, that i dont really care for.

So i checked with horizon and they list them as out of production??? So either i order direct from athearn or find em else where which ive had no luck doing even off of ebay.

Does it usually take the full 4-6 weeks to get stuff from athearn?

thanks MIke

Mike, everytime I order from Athearn, it's usually at my door within a week. I've never waited over 2 weeks. Calling Horizon is a joke. It seems that is their standard answer "Out Of Stock". Yet they now own Athearn, and they have no idea what Athearn has in stock. Go figure.

Mike, I usually get things in two weeks. However, It can sometimes be much longer if the part isn't in stock since Athearn manufactures in batches on a schedule regardless of demand. At least you can still get them so order some extras if you anticipate the need. In this economic climate, I can only see Athearn running down low profit items like this.

thanks for the responce guys ill be making an order tommarow.

by the way horizon owns athearn?? when the crap did that happen.

It happened in 2004. Athearn only existed as the Athearn we knew when "Uncle Irv owned it and he died in 1991. His son, along with other family members, ran the firm until 1994. They saw the handwriting on the wall and sold out to new owners. The new owners tried to make a go of it but Athearn was fading fast as an independant company with other better financed companies like Atlas, Walthers, Bachmann, and Kato eating away at their market share. Finally, in 2004, Horizon Hobby, a huge company involved mostly in RC airplane and cars, was looking to expand into model trains, which were begining to make a comeback. Athearn was on the ropes and Horizon got Athearn for little more than the value of their name. As an interesting sidelight. Athearn probably wouldn't exist today if they hadn't taken over Globe in 1951 to get the rights to the now famous F unit. Time travels on....

I would go ahead and order them for my repair business I try to group orders together to save on shipping but they have always been good about shipping times. Mike

Mainly when they say that it will take that long to ship is to cover their butts in case something is out of stock, or they forget the order. It could happen, but more than likely won't.

Phil

Back