Pulpwood cars being weathered

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

TLOC

I did get a car 100% weathered in my book. This is one the 5 blue GPSX pulp cars. Finished this up the night before I left for Pasadena and just remembered I hadn’t posted them yet.

I can’t do anything to this car till I return in December but here it is.

TomO
1FB1BB19-73AA-4565-BFA0-0540BD05118E.jpeg
8F73C0E7-181F-4811-9B65-1FBFC47260B4.jpeg
855DEADE-1720-4E6E-8061-C8D22CB7068E.jpeg

RCH

Been Nothin' Since Frisco
Here are some prototype photos that might be helpful for weathering your blue cars:

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

One trick I like to use to model a metal surface that's been rubbed raw -- like where the logs contacted the bulkheads, floor or stakes most recently and hasn't had a chance to rust over yet -- is to go over the surface with a no. 2 pencil. The graphite works out to be a good metal color and has a certain sheen that makes the part appear metallic without being shiny like it would be if you used silver paint. The insides of the stakes on this model have been rubbed with a pencil to get that effect.

original.jpg

TLOC

Here are some prototype photos that might be helpful for weathering your blue cars:

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

One trick I like to use to model a metal surface that's been rubbed raw -- like where the logs contacted the bulkheads, floor or stakes most recently and hasn't had a chance to rust over yet -- is to go over the surface with a no. 2 pencil. The graphite works out to be a good metal color and has a certain sheen that makes the part appear metallic without being shiny like it would be if you used silver paint. The insides of the stakes on this model have been rubbed with a pencil to get that effect.

original.jpg
RCH

Thank you for the pictures. I have views of the blue ends from a distance and usually with a car in between. These are so helpful and very much appreciated. I like the graphite idea using a pencil. I am looking for prototype pictures of the pulp car floor. I have seen in person cars with plate steel but nothing in person with wood. Those in person pictures were on an external hard drive that went missing on the move from Central Wisconsin to South Central Wisconsin in 2014.

TomO

cv_acr

RCH

I am looking for prototype pictures of the pulp car floor. I have seen in person cars with plate steel but nothing in person with wood. Those in person pictures were on an external hard drive that went missing on the move from Central Wisconsin to South Central Wisconsin in 2014.
Cars specifically built for pulpwood/log service generally won't have wood floors. Some older flatcars that are converted to log cars might have originally had wood floors though,

but also sometimes have the floor boards damaged and/or removed.

TLOC

Cars specifically built for pulpwood/log service generally won't have wood floors. Some older flatcars that are converted to log cars might have originally had wood floors though,

but also sometimes have the floor boards damaged and/or removed.

Chris, thanks love the pictures.

Thank you
TomO

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
The loader should have a operating beacon.....in your leisure time.

Greg

############################

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.