Pulpwood cars being weathered

TomO, I really didn't mean to be critical of your workspace. I was referring to the multicolored
"mat" and the egg cartons with various shades of overspray which distracted from the target we were supposed to be commenting about; however, we are now seeing an improvement across all fronts..
LOL 😁

Upon further consideration, I have to cast my vote for 38035. I feel that the wagons are "new" enough that the rust would have a more light-reddish color. With some debris on the decks and a few with loads, they will be awesome looking!

P.S. Hope I have extended the Peacepipe in a proper way and that my "ticket" is still intact? ;)
BTW - no ticket is necessary, just an invitation - hint/hint? 😇

IMO, of the two cars in the first photo, the 38026 stakes colour looks more dusty than rusty. The 38035 looks like nice, old rust.

Side note, and this is a Walthers error, not yours, but the Procor flatcars were actually a very dark green, not black, although with a few years' worth of weathering, and depending on the lighting conditions of the photo, this can be hard to tell. They were built in 1974 as UNPX 173020-173154, 50 of them went to WC 38000-38049, and then back to UNPX 38000-38049 when WC was done with their lease around 2005-2006.

They're also longer cars than the Walthers model, and the bulkhead end design is different, but short of doing extensive kitbashing or scratchbuilding this is the closest available model that you'll ever find.

Last edited:
IMO, of the two cars in the first photo, the 38026 stakes colour looks more dusty than rusty. The 38035 looks like nice, old rust.

(Side note, and this is a Walthers error, not yours, but the Procor flatcars were actually a very dark green, not black, although with a few years' worth of weathering, and depending on the lighting conditions of the photo, this can be hard to tell. They were built in 1974 as UNPX 173020-173154, 50 of them went to WC 38000-38049, and then back to UNPX 38000-38049 when WC was done with their lease.)
Nothing better than knowledge.

Side note, and this is a Walthers error, not yours, but the Procor flatcars were actually a very dark green, not black, although with a few years' worth of weathering, and depending on the lighting conditions of the photo, this can be hard to tell. They were built in 1974 as UNPX 173020-173154, 50 of them went to WC 38000-38049, and then back to UNPX 38000-38049 when WC was done with their lease around 2005-2006.

They're also longer cars than the Walthers model, and the bulkhead end design is different, but short of doing extensive kitbashing or scratchbuilding this is the closest available model that you'll ever find.
Chris thank you. I have followed your blog on and off for years and you SIR are a true wealth of knowledge. I have been around paper mills in Central Wisconsin for years and every time I used to go past a pulp yard I would look for the black WC and never saw them. Now I know why, excellent thanks. I am not going to attempt the kitbashing, having enough trouble with the weathering but the colors on these 4 will stay for the time. I have 4 more WC Procor cars that I might attempt the color change to but that would be after Xmas. Thanks again for weighing in and I truly appreciate the information.

TomO

TomO, I really didn't mean to be critical of your workspace. I was referring to the multicolored
"mat" and the egg cartons with various shades of overspray which distracted from the target we were supposed to be commenting about; however, we are now seeing an improvement across all fronts..
LOL 😁

Upon further consideration, I have to cast my vote for 38035. I feel that the wagons are "new" enough that the rust would have a more light-reddish color. With some debris on the decks and a few with loads, they will be awesome looking!

P.S. Hope I have extended the Peacepipe in a proper way and that my "ticket" is still intact? ;)
BTW - no ticket is necessary, just an invitation - hint/hint? 😇
Sherrel, I can handle the accommodations when the living quarters are completed. Non-holiday pricing for air fare is reasonable or it was this year. Who knows in 2022. Seriously if we can work it out you are invited.

Workspace, no issue. Your timing and Terry’s was the kick in the backside I needed. Peacepipe, as long it’s not tobacco we are fine smoking whatever is in the peacepipe.

TomO

Chris thank you. I have followed your blog on and off for years and you SIR are a true wealth of knowledge. I have been around paper mills in Central Wisconsin for years and every time I used to go past a pulp yard I would look for the black WC and never saw them. Now I know why, excellent thanks. I am not going to attempt the kitbashing, having enough trouble with the weathering but the colors on these 4 will stay for the time. I have 4 more WC Procor cars that I might attempt the color change to but that would be after Xmas. Thanks again for weighing in and I truly appreciate the information.

TomO
His point is valid that with the right light the colours look okay, so you know the photos can get it wrong, thus you have no need to correct it persay, but now you know and plus if it comes up you can agree you know this and are taking the stance that the light on your lay out emulates the conditions that make it look black not dark green.
knowledge is power, and if you ever do more you can consider it, I for instance know there is a glaring mistake on my Kalborough….I’ll put it in the coffee shop and ask who can work it out as it is not UK connected…..know I know it’s wrong I will eventually fix it……eventually :D

The following is an experiment!

Based on some information from Chris vanderHeide about WC Procor car colors I took one and added some green pan pastel to it.These colors are not sealed so I can make changes. I went on a few rail photos sites including Chris‘s excellent blog about the Algoma Central and took a look at the pulp cars for WC. Chris is so right about the light when the pictures were taken. I can definitely see old green faded paint on a few cars. Others just seemed to be the faded black or even gray I thought they were. But now I know better.

TomO
76F4ACA6-1607-40F7-B2D0-9937506BF836.jpeg
2DD84114-0544-4E1F-8C90-65A1A33F7101.jpeg
A950E703-EC9C-4CF2-B731-7EFA0CAA387C.jpeg

I am still waiting for the last order of steel wheels but I am cleaning off the workbench. Where better to place the cars then in the yard awaiting pickup.

6986AF00-2EE8-42BE-8771-5F9786D90272.jpeg
B889B13F-0C21-42E9-A868-2DD849567246.jpeg

#38026 has been hit with dull cote and it didn’t seem to lose much if any of the coloring, maybe now too much green.

The log loader is currently getting deeply weathered. The bench top was too clean…

Steel wheels, ordered from suburban Chicago, Saturday and shipped same day. I tracked them today and the package it is no where near Chicago. Yesterday they were in Memphis today they are per USPS tracking in Miami. Not quite anywhere near Madison, Wi. where delivery needs to happen. At least they are not on a ship.

TomO

#38026 has been hit with dull cote and it didn’t seem to lose much if any of the coloring, maybe now too much green.

Tom: Car #38026 looks great and there isn't too much Green coloring showing.

Nice scene with the four pulpwood cars awaiting their loading.

Your pulpwood piles remind me that I need to do some cutting of scale loads myself.

Greg

Tom: Car #38026 looks great and there isn't too much Green coloring showing.

Nice scene with the four pulpwood cars awaiting their loading.

Your pulpwood piles remind me that I need to do some cutting of scale loads myself.

Greg
I have a LOT of that to do... pulpwood is one of the major commodities on my railroad!

Well I want to thank Greg for his wheel set weathering remembrances and Chris’s info on colors. They have both mentioned pulp wood piles, here is my very very compressed pulp yard.

AC5AAD09-E150-4CF8-83AD-BBE3710F4769.jpeg
B62CD7AD-0D69-4F75-B150-0C6F97D3A709.jpeg
C2B31073-A4B5-49D9-9D3A-E7A68CA0B00B.jpeg

A bit more dark grime/weathering will always knock that colour back to "indeterminate with a tint of green"...

Somewhere around "not sure if green weathered to black or black faded to green".

Log yard looks great.

Back