Proto S1 runs VERY slow

wcwred

wcwred
I have a Proto 2000 S1 that runs super slow (HO Scale approx 3-4 MPH). I had 2 (sold 1). The Southern S1 ran great, nice speed & pull. But the L&N barely moves. Any ideas or suggestions?

I had a friend that had the same problem w/an F7 for DC or DCC. I took the shell off & there was a lot of corrosion between the frames(HD double frame). I took it apart & thouroughly cleaned everything. I also found that the ground to the frame was loose.
I fixed everything & it ran real good for about 3 months & we started having the same problem again. I tried to fix it again, but the armature in the motor had gotten real hot & it left a film of carbon in the grooves. I cleaned it out again & now it runs real good, so far. Not saying the same thing is wrong w/yours. It seems like when an engine won't run, it's usually a bad ground or dirty wheels or a bad picup.

Larry C.

How long have you had the engine? If it's less than a year, I'd call Walthers and get a return RMA. It may be a bad ground, bad motor, or a gear problems but Walthers should fix it or swap it out for a new engine.

I have had the engine for about 5 years. It was not run very much & even then I noticed it was a lot slower than the other S1 that I had. Outside of that it has been packed up the last 2 1/2 yrs. I cleaned the wheels; looked at all the contacts and they appeared clean. I'm just wondering if it's a bad motor. And if it might be worth it to just get a new can motor & replace it? (If it helps, I bought it on "close-out" from Trainworld).

I have a SD 60 from Proto 2000 that runs very slow. I have looked at every options and will have to replace the motor.
I was told that the Proto 2000 had a bad batch of motor's.
I dont know if all the models were affected. I have heard it was the F7 and SD 60.

Maybe that is why they were being sold at such discounts... i guess you get what you pay for. Although I bought 2 gp30's at the same time & they run good.

A good test would be to disconnect the drive train and see if the motor spins at full speed. If it does, the problem is somewhere in the gears or trucks.

I have a Proto 2000 GP30 in the EMD Demonstrator scheme. The box was the blue P2K box if that helps.

It runs slow, but its not extremely slow. It runs almost like an Atlas unit (has a lower top speed)

Another thing with P2Ks (and Athearns if you're interested but moreso with the P2Ks) is that their gears suck and have bits of plastic stuck inside the teeth and need to be broken in (takes a couple months to a year of running it) or burnished with an abrasive. (put pearl drops between the gears, run the loco around the layout for about an hour non-stop. That should fix the gears)

Yes it is a blue box unit. PEARL DROPS? Since I have just started rebuilding my new layout, track is not complete so I can't continuosly run it yet. When I get it up I'll try that. Thanks to all that have answered.

Back