proto 2000 rs27 shell removal

ive noticed my proto2000 rs27 doesnt creep like my atlas and my older p2k models. im using dcc and i have to set the starting voltage at about 20 to get it to start moving at speed step 1. and needless to say, it doesnt "creep". all my other engines, atlas, older p2k, and a bli, start at speed step 1 with the starting voltage cv at 1 or 2. anyway, long story sort of shorter, i think it must be the mechanism. it probably sat on a shelf at walthers for a while, and its been in my house for over a year or so. i havent run it all that much but im guessing something needs oiled and cleaned. the wheels are clean but i cant figure out how to get the shell off of the chassis!took off the couplers and its kindof loose at one end, but the other end doesnt budge. im very reluctant to giv it a yank, so.....any suggestions? the instructions are useless on this point.

thanks

rob

Take off the fuel tank. It should be held in place with some sticky stuff. Some proto2000 locos have the shell held to the chassis with small screws under the fuel tank.

It doesn't creep because of the gear ratio. Change out the worm gears for athearn ones and you'll be fine.

on this model, the fuel tank is actually held on with screws. i tried that already. i can get the body shell to start to rock a little, but im afraid to pull it too hard. so i should get the worm gears for any athearn loco? is that a general part not specific to certain models?

thanks

rob

There are two screws under the battery boxes at the rear of the cab (front of the loco being the short hood end). You can press in the sides of the shell and remove the body leaving the walkway in place or remove the screws and lift the whole body free.

ha. finally got it off. took the worm gears off and they appear clea. wiped em off and applied light oil. everything back together and still the engine doesnt want to run smooth at low speed. hafta have the start voltage set at about 35-37 to get it to move at speed step 1. if i put my finger on the motor i can feel slight vibration at speed step 1....but it wont turn till about speed step 7 or 8, with v-start sst at 1. i just took out the worm gears so no load is on the motor, and the motor doesnt start spinning until i hit 12 or 13 on my throttle.

any suggestions?

rob

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, digitrax. i have cv2 set at about 30-35 before it starts moving, and at that point, its not creeping anymore. just talked to walthers and they are gonna take a look at it. i have 3 engines, not counting 2 older p2k. 1 walthers proto, 1 pcm, and 1 atlas. sent back pcm cause of headlight problem, sending back walthers cause of drivetrain. atlas has been 100% perfect from day 1. think i know what ill be buying in the future.............:cool:

ok, just got a brand new motor from walthers. same problem. this motor just doesnt want to start moving until about 15-17 on my throttle. if i crank up the cv to get it to move at 1, it takes off. anyways, any suggestions on replacement motors? proto power west? any others?

thanks

rob

finally had a chance to really get into this engine. put a motor in from proto power west and same result. after some digging, i found out that the decoder in this engine, an older quantum revolution, doesnt have back emf. so i ordered the upgrage chip from tonys. we will see how this turns out.

I was just about to suggest a fault with the decoder, since it can't be two bad motors in a row. I think the upgrade chip will solve your problem.

Back