Proses Track Cleaner, thoughts?

Smudge617

I'm thinking of getting a Track Cleaning car, I find it difficult to reach the far side of my track. The CMX looks good, the price not so much tho', also a similar version made by Sharge, basically the same thing, price wise a little better, then I saw this item by Proses, wondered what your thoughts were?
ptc-004-3100-large.jpg

I haven't seen that one before but looks interesting.
It says to use alcohol only in the drum, if so you’d need to wipe off the residue later.
Don’t see why a non polar fluid couldn’t be substituted tho?
I use the Centerline cleaning car with the roller, works wonders!

Any car that scrubs the bearing surface of the tracks is worth getting. The point, though, is that there ought to be more than mere abrasion. There needs to be a medium to entice the offending material up off that surface and to be removed.

I have abandoned alcohol because it's the wrong solution, according to that published list of suitable fluids, and my clean drop cloth remnants will continue to lift grey streaks even after several wipes of the alcohol. To me, alcohol is a waste of time, and could actually be counterproductive. The CMX people suggest using lacquer thinner, a product that Doc Wayne over on MR forums claims to have used for years to good effect. However, that fluid is well down 'the list'. So, since the list says kerosene is the #1 best solution, I have taken to using it in the car. So far, no complaints, and my engines run well. I don't scrub the rails with a clean cloth afterwards, but prefer to leave the thin remainder of kerosene atop the rails to act as a retardant to further oxidation of any metals that oxidize quickly, chiefly the heavy concentration of elemental copper in nickel silver.

Any car that scrubs the bearing surface of the tracks is worth getting. The point, though, is that there ought to be more than mere abrasion. There needs to be a medium to entice the offending material up off that surface and to be removed.

I have abandoned alcohol because it's the wrong solution, according to that published list of suitable fluids, and my clean drop cloth remnants will continue to lift grey streaks even after several wipes of the alcohol. To me, alcohol is a waste of time, and could actually be counterproductive. The CMX people suggest using lacquer thinner, a product that Doc Wayne over on MR forums claims to have used for years to good effect. However, that fluid is well down 'the list'. So, since the list says kerosene is the #1 best solution, I have taken to using it in the car. So far, no complaints, and my engines run well. I don't scrub the rails with a clean cloth afterwards, but prefer to leave the thin remainder of kerosene atop the rails to act as a retardant to further oxidation of any metals that oxidize quickly, chiefly the heavy concentration of elemental copper in nickel silver.
I've got a can of INOX, that I want to try, so I would have to spray the felt pads instead of using the container that comes with it, so not a problem there.

Well, bit the bullet, and ordered one, so, 1-5 days for delivery. I'll let you know how it goes.

I think we should start a thread with all the different cleaning cars we use.
Everything from the home groaners to the most expensive ones, would be a great reference!

I finally got to use this Proses track cleaner, and in a word Rubbish, it's the wrong height, and not adjustable, uses NEM pockets, too loose and pull out at any attempt to pull it, comes with two barrels, supposedly one for dry,one wet, both have sponges for wet, impossible to remove without a lot of force, the dry pads look all the same, you literally have to feel the difference, there is a small red disk that you use to inject (yes inject) you cleaning fluid assuming of course you can get the correct orientation as there are no marks to help and you can't see the four small injection sites, so very hit and miss when you try.
The worst is that they supply a hospital grade needle and syringe, (the type to take blood) its ok for me, but there a a lot of young people in this hobby, not sure what they would use it for.

Overall DO NOT (EVER) get one. Now where's that Bachmann track cleaner I had?

Well that really bites!
Keep an eye out for a centreline car, don’t think you'll be disappointed.
Thanx for the heads up!

Anybody ever cleaned with a 50/50 mix of water and baking soda? Was thinking of doing that for my first initial cleaning then applying the NoOx. After that I have an abrasive cleaning car, but need to get a solution car and padded car for “every day” use…

Flipping 'eck, your gonna start a fight asking that, there are so many solution style cleaning cars, Shark, CMX, WS Tidy Track to name a few, but if you could use INOX you don't need any of them, (so I'm told) I have a can but not used it yet. No sure what NoOx is, when I googled it, I got something on Instagram ???? and other miscellaneous answers.

Last edited:
Elsewhere the pro's have several cleaners they recommend.

I quit using abrasives of any sort due to the abundance of opinions against them.

I use a small block of wood, wide enough to cover both rails. I wrap it a couple layers of cotton t-shirt material and semi saturate a surface with 70% isopropyl and run it along the track by grasping with my fingers and applying some pressure. You can see the dirt, and rotate the material as needed.

Works great, no residue, clean, cheap.

Off the beaten track, but I saw where Center Line track cleaning cars in HO were over $100.00 US. I have two that I purchased at TrainFest for under $50.00. These cars and a Masonite pad are my favorite.

I plan on doing the track cleaning using Magic Track fluid and then wipe a small area of the side rails with Number 4 graphite, as described in the MRH web site.

I use a piece of cork roadbed to clean dirty rail.

Greg

I have the CMX clean machine works just fine also have a homemade one from a athearn sd engine frame
I also tried Mothers metal polish just a very light coat applied with a felt pad that I attached to a piece of homasote
The areas I applied the polish to I haven't cleaned with any liquid cleaner just wiped down once in a while for any dust or whatever
I put this polish on maybe 6 yrs ago edit the felt pads are for furniture legs I got mine at menards 3" size
DSC_0379.JPG

Last edited:
I've been using this to clean engine wheels and track at the club. You spray a little on a towel or paper towel and wipe the rails.

I've been using this to clean engine wheels and track at the club. You spray a little on a towel or paper towel and wipe the rails.
I have something similar called INOX, haven't tried it yet, haven't run a train in couple of months now ☹️

Smudge Just keep doing what you are doing Not a thing wrong with it despite the negative opinions of some people

Smudge, not true. Those are your dimensions..I'm only suggesting a shelf/around the walls layout at 2.5' or shallower depth, at whatever length you are able to entertain, to make it easy for you to deal with..It could be like many small branchlines do/did; run in one direction out to stations and industries, then run in reverse back having served both 'trailing point' and 'facing point spurs' enroute..IE. a 'point to point' layout as opposed to a 'continual' or 'roundy-round' style layout.. This way you'd only need to get under it for some wiring situations..And if you put it at shoulder/eye level even getting under it would be way easier, to boot..
Thank you for your opinion, but I think I'll ignore it. I said it was difficult to clean the track, not couldn't (it's called using a stool)
This thread is (was) about a track cleaner, if you have any thoughts about that, I would be happy to hear them. Your opinion on my build skills, or in your opinion lack thereof, I would prefer not to hear thank you.

Back