Preserving the Espee - Oregon Branchline Edition

funnelfan

I finally wrapped up my full P2K SD9 rebuild of a SP SD9E. Years ago I semi detailed Athearn models, but they hardly compare. For my first rebuild, I chose unit 4433 which has had a long career in Oregon that last well after the SP went away. I fully detailed the unit and did the light package with the working Gryalight. I'm soooo happy to have this unit done now as the SP SD9's were a favorite on mine that I saw in action plenty of times. Now I can recreate some of those scenes not seen since the 80's and early 90's. I hope the diehard SP fans will feel the same way I do looking at these recreated scenes....of good railfanning times gone by.

Here we're chasing the Hill City Turn back from the Mill down the Hill City branch to the mainline. Having assembled it's train of outbound lumber and woodchips, the train departs for the mainline at Anderson. The lone SD9 and train eases along the branchline trackage, stopping briefly on one of the iconic wood trestles to enjoy the view.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

At Dupont outside of Anderson the branch crosses over the busy double track mainline. The conductor gets on the radio to ring up the dispatcher for permission to enter the mainline when they get to Anderson. Since the crossover to the mainline is on the far side of downtown, They need to find out the situation on the mainline before they block all the crossings in town.
Crews were busy setting the station on it's new foundation after moving it across the tracks. The branchline used separate the station from the mainlines, which caused problems at times when the local was working industries in town when a passenger train stopped. The city bought the aging station from the railroad and moved it across tracks to take up part of a city park, and become the new city transportation hub. Passengers will be able to get off the train and right into a city bus or taxi.
No locals or passenger trains to worry about today. After a brief stop to allow the rear brakeman in the caboose to line back the crossovers, the Hill City Turn is soon blasting through the CTC control point of High bridge.
These scenes are all on the OMRS layout in Lacey at the Thurston County Fairgrounds. We are generally open Thursday nights from 6-9pm and on Saturdays 10am-1pm or so.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The 2 picture in the thread has, in the background. the best representation of a PNW forest I've yet seen.....granted it's 3rd or 4th growth but the density is right on. Just wait till the trees are full grown.:D Nice pic.

Nice job on the SD9 Ted. I'd have made it black widow but then I'm OLD:D:D:eek: Sorry I couldn't be there on Thursday but I had to drive to Port Angeles for work and didn't get back into town till after 8. I'll get there sometime. Promise. If you see him, say hi to Gordon.

Steve

I have GOT to get out to your club Funnelfan... I just cant seem to find the time...

I came across an undec Proto Power SD 7 or 9 shell and chasis in one of my boxs the other day. Now I guess I need to decide what Paint I want to put in. I suppose I need to find my airbrush and painting stuff before I get too excited.

Steve

Back