Power terminal strips

joed2323

Ok, do i have to go out and buy a power terminal strip to run my bus wires off to power my feeders??

I guess im just trying to be cheap since i dont have one here.
Ive heard of people using heavy duty staples to transfer the power, have you guys heard of this?? there has to be a cheaper way without using power strips or??

this is my layout so, im trying to figure out the best way/easiest way to run my bus wires, yes i know im suppose to have bus wires run under the track or in close proximity. My layout size is 18x10
photobucket-3570-1330903350393.jpg

i have my feeders soldered every 3 feet or every peice of track.

Im running 14 gauge for bus and 18 guage for feeders.

I was planning on installing my nce power cab power source in the middle of layout dividing it in half, so i would have almost equal power run.

Couldnt i just run say a T shapped desigin branching off my nce power source and feed the track that way through my bus wires? or do i have to use a power strip and run my bus wires off of the power strip?
I should be able to splice bus wires to different directions?

I would be comfortable with soldering the feeders but I think the care has to be taken to not cut stranded wire inadvertently when you are doing it. It needs to be closed after the soldering is finished. I do not recall who pointed out that suitcase connectors actually do cut the wire and should be avoided and I agree with that at this point. I use the terminal block connectors but they do get to be a cumulative expense.

I see recommendations to place a feeder in every section of flex track which I don't do since my power feed is smooth and easy. I am at every three pieces. It may be something I'll regret as the layout ages. I just hate being under the layout since it hurts my back.

I dont see the difference of dividing the power through a power terminal strip or just splicing the bus wires to make more bus wires using say a butt connector, they make butt connectors to splice 2 wires together plus having another wire coming off connector, thats what i was thinking of using since i have a ton of them here

Im pretty sure i can get my bus wires run in 2 different runs. Im hoping i shouldnt have problems with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, when ever I find my self taking things apart I find it a lot easier to just unscrew a terminal wire than to have to unsolder it. This happens to me more than I am proud of since my layout suffers from periodic rational revisions of terrible ideas.

Yes im a diesel mechainc, so i find my self also changing/ replacing connections often, especially in the winter months since water/road salt takes a beating on connections that are not properly covered from the elements. On trucks/cars suitcase connectors are the devil and not used since they like to corrode and cause many problems, i think the only think i would ever consider using a suitcase connector on is something indoors

But with connections that are inside i dont mind using butt connectors and such.

Honestly i dont find it very hard or time consuming cutting off a connector and starting over, but yes unscrewing a screw is alot quicker

Initially I was a proponent of suitcase connectors. They are recommended in articles in MR. Someone here pointed out that they cut the wire which is not a good thing, so I tried it, and that person was correct. So, I have backed away from them. No matter what you do, it's time consuming and messy. The things I really regret in my layout of track was not pre-drilling all the turnouts for switch machines as it was going in and the wiring of the buss feeders. Maybe on the new layout I have planned for my 104th birthday I'll do it better. Great great grandchildren playing with soldering guns under the layout while I sit in the rocker sounds good to me.

lol pretty good....

yea i did a couple of tests with the suitcase connectors, and pulled them apart and inspected the wires. it seems for the most part it just rips the outer casing around the wire, and its just a crude way of using wire connections. I know lots of people on here will swear by suitcase connectors.

Personally i like butt connections and crimped connections or the better way soldered connections.

I guess if your in a hurry suitcase connections work good, its crazy how many people love suitcase connectors. it all comes down to what your comfortable with, if it works for you then hey, by all means do it

......I was planning on installing my nce power cab power source in the middle of layout dividing it in half, so i would have almost equal power run.

Couldnt i just run say a T shapped desigin branching off my nce power source and feed the track that way through my bus wires? or do i have to use a power strip and run my bus wires off of the power strip?
I should be able to splice bus wires to different directions?

Of course you can divide it at the command center: either by splicing the bus together (twist and solder) or using terminal strips for a couple of bucks at Radio Shack. I recommend "Top Hat" twist-on splice connecters and they are ideal for this. Don't be afraid to use them (no solder); your house is full of them and I use them on all my heavy layout wiring. Good idea splitting your bus wiring in middle, as it will split the current draw as needed to the different sections and you will not have total current on any one pair (less loss). I use several parallel branches for my bus.

I don't use them, but there is nothing wrong with suitcase connectors when using the proper crimping tool and it will only cut the insulation...problem is, few do this. I use butt connectors for my smaller wiring needs (with a proper crimping tool).;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Back