Power Station all of a sudden stopped working

Habbyguy

OK, so a long time ago I bought 2 MRC Command 2000's with 2 hand-held controllers and Power Station 8. For the first time yesterday had them hooked up and was programming running some of my engines, which I have had just as long. But I gave them a good cleaning and greasing before running them. Today I was doing some more playing around with programming and running a few engines at the same time(which is fun BTW). So this afternoon I turned everything off, went to eat something. I come back to turn everything back on. But the Power Station will not work now. I pulled it apart to see if a fuse blew, but it is still fine. You can hear the transformer inside humming. But there is no output voltage showing and the fan does not spin.

I guess my question is would it be worth it to find another Power Station 8? Or should I buy a whole new system? I hear that the new decoders will not work with my system. If that is true, then I am going to have a hard time find more. I do want to have control of my 7 engines at any given time and maybe more.

*****I am a perfectionist, well until I don't care anymore.*****

MRC DCC systems aren't the best. I'd upgrade it and go with an NCE or Digitrax system. NCE is more user-friendly, Digitrax is more feature-friendly.

MRC DCC systems aren't the best. I'd upgrade it and go with an NCE or Digitrax system. NCE is more user-friendly, Digitrax is more feature-friendly.
The hobby shop where I live said that NCE is not available in Canada and also that the MRC DCC systems are good systems. I guess that is his theory.

Yes. You can't do much programming and you can only control functions F0 and F1, but they will work.

Thanks for the reply.
Its just I don't know when I will have enough money for a new system. I will use one command 2000 for the layout and the other one will program the decoders then. Unless I decide to sell one of them.
But I still have to decide on a layout plan

No, MRC's DCC systems aren't the best, but then again, neither are NCE's or Digitrax's or anyone elses for that matter. There is no "best" DCC system, only what is best for your situation, and MRC's current systems are actually very nice.

There is nothing wrong with the Command 2000 system, it is just very limited in what it can do. It is limited to addresses 1-10(1-20 if you combine two of them using an MRC AD600). The only programming you can do is address, normal direction of travel, 14 or 28 speed steps, start voltage, acceleration momentum, and decceleration momentum. As far as control, you are limited to 14 or 28 speed steps and functions F0 and F1.

The other down fall of the command 2000 is that you can only control up to 4 decoders with the hand-held controllers.

Back