Planning a logging/coal layout.

Myowngod

Pennsy Tuscan Red Blood
Hey everyone,
It's been a long time since I have posted.
But good news... I have acquired a new area to build a layout. The room will be approximately 14'x15', with a 3'x20' staging/reverse loop area. I have yet to even stud out the walls, so I have a long way to go before running trains.:D
I have been designing a 2 deck layout, HO scale, that will represent a logging and coaling region in Pennsylvania somewhere (open for suggestions). The era is going to be in the 1920-30's I want a narrow gauge feel to the layout but use standard HO track code 83. Mainly for ease of construction. Not sure if I want to get into hand laying track yet for the narrow gauge, or even buy a whole new fleet of engines and rolling stock to operate on this layout. So I'm sticking with HO.

Here is a CAD drawn of the blank room. The 1' thick GREY walls are cynderblock and the yellow walls will be wood stud walls.

View attachment 27062

I have this layout available in XtrkCAD if anyone wants to critique or fool around with it.

Below is the first level. The main yard/town area is on the left side of the layout. I will operate this as a point to point RR, but I have put reversing loops on both upper and lower deck. Although I won't be able to run trains from one end to the other because of a switchback section half way around the plan.

View attachment 27063

The center peninsula is going to be a sawmill kit from SeirraWest. "Twin Mills at Deer Creek"
The feel I'm going for is similar to layout this guy built. Degulbeef & Cradding Railroad I really like the terrain and the coloration he capture.

Here is the upper level. It starts in the upper right corner at 20" above the lower deck and wraps around clockwise up to 24" on the upper left corner. This deck will be the higher logging and mining camps up the mountains.

View attachment 27064

If anyone has any suggestion on the track plan, PLEASE speak up. I am very flexible to make any improvements to better the operation. And again if you want the CAD file I can send it to you.

Thank so much.

I have nixed the duck under version for a more back and head friendly walk-in design.

1st level
KlaissloggingRRWalkin.jpg

2nd level
KlaissloggingRRWalkin2.jpg

I'm still debating if I want to go the extra 100 miles to hand lay track and make it dual gauge. The majority of the 1st level would be standard Gauge with an mix of dual that comes down the mountain branch and to the lumber mill. The 2nd level would be only narrow guage HOn3. This current plan is done with Atlas code 83 and Walthers components. I can always change it to dual since I'm still building the layout room.

I have yet to add a small yard/service area on the left side of the layout. Any ideas or links for small yard area would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ron

Nixing the duck under is a move you won't regret, looks like a great layout so far!
I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas for the service area, too early for me to think...

I'll second nixing the duck under. Your second track plan looks better.
Question: How do you run the track on the other side of the block wall? Craw under?

As for narrow and dual gauge tracks it is available if you don't want to hand-lay. But of course that means buying narrow gauge engines and rolling stock.

ME
http://microengineering.com/products_ft.htm

Walthers
http://www.prototypicalmodeltrains.com/site/1324105/page/1513235

PECO
https://www.1stplacehobbies.com/cgi-bin/p_552-SL1500_n.asp

are some sources.

Question: How do you run the track on the other side of the block wall? Craw under?

I'm going to run it from the main room area. Since it's only 3-4 staging tracks on the lower level and 1 straight run track that transitions between lower and upper levels, I think it will be pretty low impact. I could even use track occupancy detectors for the few staging tracks.... Camera even?

You must be done with building your Dad's layout? I remember your threads on that. Which was an outstanding layout.

Looking forward to seeing with you come up with on your new layout.

You must be done with building your Dad's layout? I remember your threads on that. Which was an outstanding layout.

Looking forward to seeing with you come up with on your new layout.

No, Far from done. I just happened to get a train room build in my new house. 2 second walk into my basement is a lot nicer then a 2 hour drive to my Dad's layout. I will still go down and help him out, but most of my future post will be about this new layout. There is mainly scenery on my Dad's to do. He has no idea how to do that... or any desire to learn.:confused:
Thanks for the compliment on it. stay tuned for updates on that on and this new one.
Heck, I might even set up my old Nscale 2'x4' layout, and have the kids help rebuild it.

"A man can never have to many model railroads." - Me

what happened to our PRR layout?

Nothing. It's still there... 2hrs away from me at my Dad's house. This new 1 is in MY basement. It's a totally different direction though. Dual HO/HOn3, 2 decks, craftsman kits, older steam and geared engines lot's of scenery...

Back