Pin to couple loco to tender on Fleischmann HO diecast steam (DB BR 01 182)?

scalemodels

I've lost the pin that my Fleischmann HO BR 01 182 had to hold the tender. I believe what I had was what would be called a "core pin" and the hole is slightly larger than 2mm (maybe 2.2mm?). I'm not positive that was what the loco had originally though. A clevis pin might also work.

Anyone dealt with this before or know what the perfect replacement would be? Thanks.

BR_01_182.jpeg

You could probably make your own from a piece of brass rod if you have any.
I would pay for a 2mm (x10mm?) "core pin" (not cheap that I could find but not unreasonable either) but it should probably be larger. 2.2mm is not a imperial unit size either unfortunately but it doesn't have to be perfect i guess.

If all it does is hold the tender drawbar to the engine, just use a brass machine screw with a nut to hold it in place.

I would pay for a 2mm (x10mm?) "core pin" (not cheap that I could find but not unreasonable either) but it should probably be larger. 2.2mm is not a imperial unit size either unfortunately but it doesn't have to be perfect i guess.
2.2mm is just over 1/16" maybe larger which is I think 1/8th" (sorry we use metric here) so either drill the existing hole out to fit, or file the screw/bolt down slightly to get a snug fit.

Personally I'd drill it out and as @bnsf971 suggests, use a screw and bolt.

EDIT.
A self tapping screw might be the simplest answer.

Last edited:
I think it is a nominal 2mm hole but I would like to know the dimensions and description of the part that originally went there if it's not the pin it had when I got it.

Since the engine is almost a half a century old, unless you want to pay for a complete engine your choices are going to be finding something that works.

Stuff a short chunk of wooden toothpick in the hole. That should get you by until you can find a proper sized nail or brad or brass rod or whatever to make a suitable pin.

Since the engine is almost a half a century old, unless you want to pay for a complete engine your choices are going to be finding something that works.
Yes of course. It might be older than that even. I was hoping for confirmation from someone as to what the original part was for this, if it wasn't the pin I had. No luck on a German language forum yet, not sure if I said something rude or stupid or what, because surely many of the people on that forum have seen these locos.

Stuff a short chunk of wooden toothpick in the hole. That should get you by until you can find a proper sized nail or brad or brass rod or whatever to make a suitable pin.
I would use an M2 screw except I am worried about the thin "drawbar" (it's basically a tab with a hole in it) catching on that and causing derailments, fear the same thing from anything else firmly wedged in there like a dowel.

A brass rod could work pretty well, just a matter of fashioning some kind of head/cap for it.

I have found two sources so far for M2x6mm pins with heads, but one is in the UK and wants almost $30 shipping to the US, and the other I'm not sure of the location but shipping will take quite a while and the lead time is long too. Pins this size are common enough, but with a head not so much, apparently. Also I have found plenty of longer "core pins" and "extractor pins" that are 2mm in diameter. Could cut one of those I guess...

There are also some M2x8 "captive screws" that I found that could work well, but I think the extra 2mm hanging down and nut that would go on it will be lower than I would really like. Could omit the nut and just use 6mm length. The smooth portion of the screws I've found is quite a bit smaller than 2mm though so the drawbar/tab would be banging around a bit, since the hole is already 2.2mm.

No real rush, I have been missing this pin for years, just getting around to trying to do something about it.

Thanks to all for ideas.

I think I am going to use something like this. The drawbar's hole would be at the top on the smooth part. Unfortunately specialty screws like this incur shipping costs...

Attachments

• screw.png
    screw.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 39
I have found two sources so far for M2x6mm pins with heads, but one is in the UK and wants almost $30 shipping to the US
You looking at something like this, I'll post the flipping things to you if you can't get them in the US. (although these ones are from China).
1689713039752.png

Do you know what these are called? I'm sure I can find them somewhere in the US. The parts suppliers I'm finding want a fair bit for shipping compared to Amazon or Home Depot.
Yeah, sure,

M2X6mm socket cap head screw

I found these guys in CA who have them if you can't get them locally.

Yeah, sure,

Cool thanks. I actually need 10-12mm probably, I didn't realize how high the tab sits (I'm not sure why it's like that).

Yeah, sure,

I guess what I am having trouble with is the name of such a screw with only partial or half threading and the rest smooth. I had narrowed it down to socket head cap screw previously and could even see some with only partial threading shown in pictures along with full threading, but couldn't figure out the technical name for that which would let me search for them.

The ones with partial threading seem to be dispersed freely with ones with full threading without the picture of the product actually indicating which is which. I was ready to order some from a technical parts supplier but I realized the pictures didn't match.

I guess what I am having trouble with is the name of such a screw with only partial or half threading and the rest smooth. I had narrowed it down to socket head cap screw previously and could even see some with only partial threading shown in pictures along with full threading, but couldn't figure out the technical name for that which would let me search for them.

The ones with partial threading seem to be dispersed freely with ones with full threading without the picture of the product actually indicating which is which. I was ready to order some from a technical parts supplier but I realized the pictures didn't match.
If you've found a supplier, an e mail to them should be able to clear up the confusion.

Back