Pictures of the first view visitors get of your layout...

beiland

This subject discussion was posted on another forum, and brought out some interesting replies. Thought it might be an interesting addition to this forum,....

I'm working on the section of my layout that visitors will see first when they come down the stairs. I would be interested in seeing what others have done as far as first impressions.

The 'dock water' was supposed to be temporary. I was just trying it out to see it fit as the door opens.

IMG_2647.JPG

David

As folks approach my 'layout in a shed' here is what they see,..
DSCF8600.jpg

DSCF8601.jpg

With the drop down bridges across that entrance door not there in the following photos, here is what they see,...a steel mill scene on one side, and a waterfront scene on the other side,...
DSCF8734.jpg

DSCF8737.jpg

DSCF8735.jpg

DSCF8736.jpg

...and a car float scene right at the front center.

the full Monty

You go up a set of stairs to our loft, a door was added,
B8A2EFB8-98C2-4D7D-8D7A-07DFC4B744E5.jpeg

through the door to the left honestly this is tidy for me lol.
this was not the first layout either it was a redo
5552F97C-DF2C-45C4-A138-40C9F3B49A1D.jpeg

this is often the view lol, but the centre aisle is too clean, tracks to the left are now under scenery totally hidden
C01FABE4-1CC4-4CDA-AD5E-1D96053FABED.jpeg

this is when we changed to foam sheets for scenic terrain
D8AC951C-0D06-4A9F-B3CB-D884FC511AC9.jpeg

from the other end, the gap to the right leads to another large loft, designated for future modelling. more wallpaper is added and sky painted later
a lot of buildings here do not actually appear on the stations here, but we’re being trialled in case we wanted then
B39B597F-F6B5-41DD-A8CF-E939F945BEEE.jpeg

this was earlier mostly ripped out for the foam
i normally take pictures trying to hide the fact that the layout is in a room..I’ll try to tidy up and take some lol

Attachments

• E069CC67-84A3-42AA-BB77-2B0F4BB636B0.jpeg
    E069CC67-84A3-42AA-BB77-2B0F4BB636B0.jpeg
    545.3 KB · Views: 43
Here is the layout I have been building/working on since January 2016. Previous layouts, three of them, were all built inside of six months. A little slow now.

index.php

View when you turn around at the far end and view the lift-up gate (elaborate and heavy!)

index.php

Hint when painting backgrounds, the earth has an atmosphere and it dulls perception the further away it goes, check any picture and expect a fine mist to build up on mountains the further you see.
love the clock, and the layout, the lift out area to the two doors is a clever touch, especially in the event of an emergency exit being required.

My layout is in a bedroom, about 11 x 12' and the top of the layout is at 48", making it relatively easy to get inside or work under, also leaves plenty of storage:

layout.jpg

Pic shows view from entrance. There is a lift out at back where the closet can be accessed.

view2.jpg

shows more of a closeup right inside the door.

Visitors can just stand there and watch if they do not want to do the duckunder. I have a Walk a round DC system with three ports so the train can be operated easily from this location or inside the loops.

This layout is currently under construction, however fully operational. Many scenes are planned but went ahead and landscaped the whole thing for present enjoyment.

The backdrop is in planning stages. Currently I am working on refining the vision for the Sandstone quarry.

Dave LASM

The entrance to my small layout proves that no work has been done for some months.
View attachment 166304I'm sad to know that when I get back to it, the first job will be to clean off the cobwebs.
We all been there I’m thinking of building another HO in the house in a spare room do you mind telling me what kinda lights you used I’m going to light it like that on the back wall thanks

Back