Perhaps this has already been was - paint...

rustam

Perhaps this has already been was - paint!
Colleagues modelers!
What colors are best used to make the rust on the wheel pairs?
I am interested in the rust and dust.

Which companies produce more realistic colors?

:)

Michael is quite correct in regard to commonly available model railroad paints. Floquil rust does a nice job of representing fairly new rust, as might be found on say the roof, or sides, of rollingstock. Floquil Rail Brown is a good choice for a weathered, dirty rust, like that seen on freight car wheels, trucks and couplers. Of course, the most accurate representations of the various stages of rust are created through using these two paints in combinations and sometimes even with some Reefer Orange to boot.

For what it may be worth (and everyone has their own opinion), I personally don't find the corresponding Poly Scale paint colors do quite as good a job as does Floquil.

NYW&B

For a light color dust use Floquil Grime. For a darker color dust use floquil Mud. The actual color of the dust that gets blown up on a train comes from what color the dirt is where the train runs. Here in the USA some places the dirt is a very dark red color and the dust from that dirt would also be darker.

Does anybody know if they ship solvent based paints to Russia? He PM'd me asking me, I'm not sure.

Floquil will not directly ship internationally. I doubt many others will either due to it being classified as Haz-mat and shipping on an airplane.

I use Tamiya acrylic paint a lot in my modelling, and I,ve found their XF 64 red-brown to be good for painting wheels, and also for rails too.
Ron

Does anybody know if they ship solvent based paints to Russia? He PM'd me asking me, I'm not sure.

He asked me also and I don't know either. I advised him to check with whoever he wanted to buy it from. Also suggested he check to see if they are stocked at a European source as that may make shipping to Moscow a little easier.

Have any of the European forum members ever seen Floquil paints in your country??

Vallejo has some nice acrylics that will serve as rust and dust. Model Color for bristle brushes and Model Air for the airbrush. Nice stuff. Your LHS may not carry them, but the are on e_bay and try those LHS that cater to gamers. They paint those little figures with Vallejo. Good stuff!

Guys hello! I really thank you for your reply to my topic!!!
I'm always happy to advice from experienced people.
I ordered several colors - Floquil (rust).
If you (?) Do not mind - I'll keep the theme of the paint ;-)

I'll tell you how I - caused rust on the wheel.

Rustam please tell us where you ordered from. Many might want to know if the Floquil was hazardous material to ship to you in Russia. Different countries have different laws about what is called hazardous material.

What does a hazardous material? What a danger to me? This material is banned in America?

They have not given an answer - yes or no!

I just placed an order.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the chemicals in some paints might cause skin rash or the fumes from the smell might cause breathing problems. There is no serious danger to you if you paint with fresh air for ventilation so you do not breathe the fumes. If you paint you house or your car with paint you bought in Russia that needs paint thinner to clean the brush then you have already been using what is called hazardous material in some countries.

Rustam my friend, Vodka is more dangerous that Floquil!!! Do not get a panic about paint.

Nyet, it is not banned in America. Some states have regulations about who can buy it or what it can be used for. Where I live the state law does not allow paint to be sold to anyone younger than 18, not because of hazardous, but because the kids sniff the fumes to get high like on drugs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back