Paragon & Neushore Track Design Phase...Need Your Suggestions

waredbear

Working on my son-in-laws set-up a few weeks ago got my fire rekindled for working on my own layout. I had a couple of designs rolling around in my head and decided on the one I liked the most for what I want. That is....

1. I want two trains rolling around in opposite directions to give excitement.
2. I want a yard to be able to switch local cars without disturbing the mains for a long period.
3. I want tunnels to hide what is going on so you don't know what to expect.
4. I needed large radius turns for my passenger cars.
5. I also wanted a track that had some interesting lines to it and not just a plain oval.

I searched and searched and found three designs that caught my fancy in a book of 101 tracks designs about two or three years ago. I'm still trying to find the magizine so I can give credit where credit is due for the original design. Of the three designs this is the one I settled on.

Paragon_Neushore002.jpg

Now I am the type of person that can't leave well enough alone. The track was good and right up my alley....but not quite there. So I looked the plan over and figured in my head what I wanted to change to meet my desires and this is what I came up with.

Paragon_Neushore001.jpg

Inside the mountain, which is the dotted (hidden) track, I have three long tracks that will enable me to have five train consists ready to roll in two different directions....say north and south. The third track in from the top left corner will be my main. This will allow me to have a train circle continuous if I want. This train can come into the mountain and stop and another train leave in the opposite direction. This gives me two things. First variety in the amount of trains all ready so the action will last longer and excitement for the viewer because it is not the same train running around the track in circles.

Located in the top center of the mountain I have three more tracks for the east/west line. I have the same set-up here as on the north/south line. The top two lines will be for one train waiting to go east and one to go west. The bottom line will be my main for thru traffic.

I expanded the yard here and there and everywhere to make it user friendly and to give me more action. I added several turnouts so the switchers could move around more freely and transfer cars from point to point. I also added a passenger terminal. My plan is to replace the three spurs sticking out on the left with a roundhouse.

I also added some main line switchovers so the trains could get into the yard easier witout having to circle around under the mountian. I also added a passing track at the bottom so the switcher could do this local switching without clogging the main. I am thinking of a coal mine or something of this nature on the bottom center spur so I can have empties in and full cars out. Either that or a lumber mill as in the original drawing. Speaking of the original drawing gives you a really good idea as to what the finished product will look like. It shows the elevations, scenery and buildings.

My only "sharp" curve is the one leaving the yard and going into the mountain at 18". I think this will be okay since the passenger train will be going slow at this point. What do you think?

So there it is. I should say I will be running Great Northern equipment set in the glory years of the 50's. Of course this is not set on anything prototypical as I had originally planned but that is okay too. My goal is to one day have a GN running the lines from Spokane WA to Seattle.

So there you have the Paragon & Neushore. What do you think? What can I do to make it better or easier to run?

Thanks for all you comments.

I just hope you have long arms or an awfully big room - if that goes in a corner there is no way that yo will reach the top left, or indeed, a fair amount of the central area - I'd be looking at peninsulas and access aisles

Thanks...forgot to post that I have an entire basement to put this layout into. I will leave a passage around the back of the mountain for access.

131 viewers and only one post. Does that mean the layout passes your inspection or is it that bad. Some comments would be nice......

Thoughts

From what I can see from your two images I think you still might have a problem reaching the center of the layout. Your grids would indicate that you would have about a four foot reach to the center of the layout where the oil depot is located.

The track layout itself would indicate lots of potential for operations, but I do think that you'll need to find a way to spread the layout so that you can reach the center. The peninsula idea already suggested might be one option.

Not sure what you would use the two little yard tracks for in the top right side. They appear to be only a foot or foot and a half long. Not much room for even one or two 40' cars.

Love the through staging idea. Anyway, just my thoughts.

Roy

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the plan a lot. I don't think you will have any reach issues, if you have access to all sides of the layout.

Just remember to leave some sort of access to the track in the mountain. Whether it's a popout, or removable section of some sort.

Looks like it would be very interesting to operate. Have fun.

I like the track plan so far. I initialy thought you may have reach issues too but some of the wiser heads on here seem okay with it. I like the through staging as well. I did something like this on a previous layout where an extra train sat inside the mountain and could be brught out onto the main as if it were emerging from some far off place. I also had to have access from the back of the mountain. Worked okay but I think I would do my staging under the layout next time around

That original track plan was designed for someone with limited space. If you have an entire basement, I see no reason to start with something like that. I'm not suggesting you use the entire basement, but I believe you could do a lot better.

It looks like the plan has a minimum 22-24 inch radius, plus the 18 inch radius curve you mentioned. Passenger trains will not look good in these curves, even if you are able to get the cars to track properly, which may turn out to be a problem. It sounds like you have the space for it, so why not go for something with larger radii? 36 inches or greater would be much more appropriate for passenger traffic.

I suggest looking for some sort of around the wall plan. That will provide the preferred inside of the curve viewing angles. You don't have to use the whole basement for an around the walls plan. You can wall off an appropriate size train room or just operate from inside a wholly or partially freestanding layout. With a little care, you can design a walk in layout that requires no duck-under, but still has a complete oval for continuous running.

A good example is the Minnesota International, which is in the MRR track plan database, if you are a subscriber. It has 27 inch radius curves as designed, which aren't ideal for passenger trains, but it is a great example of how to design a walk-in layout with continuous running for someone with an open basement. A little tweaking would increase its appeal for running passenger trains.

The Minnesota International originally appeared in the January 2006 issue of Model Railroader. It also appeared in 102 Realistic Track Plans.

Last edited by a moderator:
I initialy thought you may have reach issues too but some of the wiser heads on here seem okay with it.

Oh, I wouldn't say so. The plan has some reach issues.

In this case I would listen to "shortliner" (Jack Trollope). Jack is a proven track plan designer who has made a lot of track plans that actually has been built, and he knows what he is talking about.

Smile,
Stein

I am thinking of eliminating that return loop at the end of the yard. And push the corner in a little bit to reduce the reach. There will still be rrom for scenery.
Looks like a great start.
Steve

paragon_neushore001.jpg

Thanks SRN. I thought about that but didn't know if the track would be as interesting to watch as this one. I thought about doing a double layer so I could get more in. I will have to look into that idea.

Choops, thanks for the track change. I like that idea. I didn't like that tight curve getting out of the yard. I bought the book on Freight Yards and was thinking about curving the yard anyway. I will have to change the upper classification yards but that shouldn't be to hard.

That original track plan was designed for someone with limited space. If you have an entire basement, I see no reason to start with something like that. I'm not suggesting you use the entire basement, but I believe you could do a lot better.

It looks like the plan has a minimum 22-24 inch radius, plus the 18 inch radius curve you mentioned. Passenger trains will not look good in these curves, even if you are able to get the cars to track properly, which may turn out to be a problem. It sounds like you have the space for it, so why not go for something with larger radii? 36 inches or greater would be much more appropriate for passenger traffic.

I suggest looking for some sort of around the wall plan. That will provide the preferred inside of the curve viewing angles. You don't have to use the whole basement for an around the walls plan. You can wall off an appropriate size train room or just operate from inside a wholly or partially freestanding layout. With a little care, you can design a walk in layout that requires no duck-under, but still has a complete oval for continuous running.

A good example is the Minnesota International, which is in the MRR track plan database, if you are a subscriber. It has 27 inch radius curves as designed, which aren't ideal for passenger trains, but it is a great example of how to design a walk-in layout with continuous running for someone with an open basement. A little tweaking would increase its appeal for running passenger trains.

The Minnesota International originally appeared in the January 2006 issue of Model Railroader. It also appeared in 102 Realistic Track Plans.

Okay...first...how would you suggest this idea of a plan transform to a round the wall? Are you suggesting two levels? In which case I will need about 34' to drop 12" for a 3% descent/accent to have a minimum of 12" between decks.

Would you use a helix on both ends or large 36" bubbles on each end to come back to the wall? I can picture this as a wall layout but not on one shelf. I would
need two to have the staging and the yard. Of course the staging tracks would be exposed like another yard and not hidden in the mountian like I wanted.

I don't know if I have the Jan 06 issue of MR in a box downstairs. I don't have a subscription right now so I can't pull that plan up on-line.

I'm open to running around the wall or around the room but I don't want to loose the idea of the layout. So ideas from you are always welcome.

Nice layout but I have a question for you. Is there any reason you don't want to use the rest of the room or add a island type layout?

Dave

Didn't want to be greedy and take up the whole basement. That and 75%....maybe more is storage. The cost of building a layout of that size is also a factor. I also haven't given it much thought. I guess I wanted to start off small and build up.

Thanks for the thought provoking thought.

Back