Painting/Weathering Brick

I have tried several methods including some of the ones here. The one I like best works well and is pretty much a wipe on and wipe off process. I use normal exterior latex house paint and rubbing alcohol. Mix them roughly 75% paint and 25% alcohol. I do a small amount and add one or the other until I have the flow i want.
If the brick is molded in a color you want then wipe it down with straight alcohol as this takes the sheen off if rubbed a bit.
If painted this will work with some paints you have to work fast tho and test the paint before ruining your structure.
I always test on some scrap anyways for consistency.
The rest is simple just use a cotton t-shirt type material and wipe your mix on and wipe it off lightly. Let it dry a couple minutes and if there is more on the surface than you care for wipe some off with straight alcohol on a clean cloth.
It takes some practice but i have been very pleased with the results.
Good Luck and remember to have fun

Did you use paint from a spray can ? If I may ask what particular brand/color are you using as well. Thanks

No rattle Can for me. Airbrush all the way. Its a PITA to clean em, but yield better results with much better control IMO. The color is... ATSF Brown by FloQuil. Ive since weathered the building a bit. I'll have to get some updated shots in the next couple days. I went with a India Ink/Alcohol Method. Depending on the color of the brick, and if it was painted or not, it shows up More/less.

Back