Paint

oldho

What are you using for paint? I used to use Floquil Solvent based paint, but I haven't done any painting for several years. My local hobby store has given up these paints, and now carries Polly S and Model Master. Tell me what you are using please, and your results with it. Perley

Almost every engine I paint I use Polly Scale paints on. I use Floquil paints pretty much only on the Amtrak Units that I have been doing due to the colors being a lot closer with out having to mix paint.

Scalecoat II man all the way. I do all the painting for the guys in my modeling group so I've sprayed a lot of others over the years, but Scalecoat II is my favorite. Smooth and glossy so it takes decals very well. Goes on easy, wont eat plastic, wont overload the details. Here are some of my latest in the middle of decaling.
IMG_1652small.jpg

ColorPlace or Valspar spray paint is what I mostly use. For painting on the layout and for use in weathering some rolling stock I use latex house paint. I pick up the mis-tints at the local Lowe's store for anywhere from 50¢ for the half pints to $3 for the quart size. It takes a bit of doing and preparation but they can be used in an airbrush. I use a Testor's Aztec external mix single action.

... and I'm still using Rustoleum and Krylon rattle cans. :) If you're careful with them, they work pretty well, but they can get a little thick with multiple coats.

I used to use mostly Floquil a few years ago before my break in modeling. Now I started to use Pollyscale and really have started to prefer it to all others, mainly for the clean up and also the quick drying. I use rubbing alcohol as thinner and it is pretty much dry to the touch in a few minutes, so you don't get all the dust and such sticking to the paint. I also use ScaleCoat 2 here and there and are always impressed at how well it looks, just takes forever to dry. I normally use the pollyscale gloss when using the pollyscale paints for when I have to decal a model, gives enough shine to prevent silvering.

So more preference and what you are painting, some colors can only be had in certain paints so you must use that brand.

So more preference and what you are painting, some colors can only be had in certain paints so you must use that brand.

As a custom painter for more than 30 years, this statement is definitely true. While I prefer Scalecoat, SC1 or SC2, I have to use all kinds and brands in getting the color and finish the client is wanting. I think that I have about 8 brands of paint on my shelves.

Also while I prefer to use a solvent based paint, I do have to use the acrylics at times. I've even used automobile lacquers to finish a model.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back