Other project Kaslo GP9 CN # 7200

Hi !

It can be a nice information but not all detail are draw and nothing from the front.

It's a nice refrence !

Thanks !

cn7200plb.jpg

More pics of 7200:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=231808&nseq=0

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=74190&nseq=3

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/modelthumbs.aspx?NumCols=3&View=1&mid=154&id=CN&Page=71

http://www.myrailfan.com/collection/CN/CN_7200/CN_7200_STHUBERT_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet Geep you got there!

What did you use for the drive/chassis ?

I never tried a Kaslo kit, I don't have the skill level for that.

Looks great!

some pics I snapped on my phone of 7200 on its way to Windsor on 438 Saturday afternoon...ccool, thats all I got for resources...:D

Hi !

Thanks a lot for the pictures in the two last message, it can be very usefull.

I work a little bite on my model but i'm very bsy at job by this time.

On the second picture of Iomalley, you can see the it have a "small plow" between the foot bar. Any idea to model them ?

Thanks again !

ccool, those are footboards. The crew used to ride them when the locomotive was switching. They were outlawed in the early 80's because of crew injuries, so now you only see flat pilots. The small projection between the two footboards was there to prevent a crew member from stepping directly in front of the coupler. You can get footboards from Detail Associates. The pointed projection can be easily added with two small pieces of styrene.

Hi !

I have the footbar in the kaslo kit but the "pointed projection" are not include.

Nobody make this pieces ? or i can not take a snow plow and cut them tp have only this part ?

Thanks !

If you can find a snowplow with that that sharp a point, I guess it would work, but it's really not hard to take two pieces of styrene and glue them together at a 45 degee angle. It's just a piece of sheet metal attached to the pilot and two footboards. You could just have one flat piece of styrene, cut to a point, and then two small pieces of flat styrene for the sides. You can't buy everything, and this is an easy part to practice building yourself.

Miniatures by Eric makes the full ends, footboards and 'key' but you'll have to cut the footboards off. You're better off with a block of styrene and a file and wittle yourself one.

Hi !

I have the footbar in the kaslo kit but the "pointed projection" are not include.

Nobody make this pieces ? or i can not take a snow plow and cut them tp have only this part ?

Thanks !

My Kaslo GP9rm came with that little piece between the foot boards... You may want to email them about it. They may be able to send you a replacement. If not, PM me and I can cast one for you.

Hi !

Thanks a lot for the information, i will check again in my box, maybe that i don't see them.

I contact you if i have a problem.

Thanks a lot !

Hi !

Good news i have find them !

I have one on this kit but 2 other on my first kit ( #4000) that i did not use !

I'm very happy :D

Thanks !

Has anyone kept track of how many hours it takes to build a Kaslo kit?

I'll take a stab at the time it took for my kit;

1 hr for removing flash and predrilling holes
1 hr to add step ends/batt boxes/intake shrouds/lift eyes/fans (I used Detail assoc fans, alot faster IMO)
1 hr for numberboards/grab irons/mu hoses/pilot work
0.5 hr for rad grillework.
0.5 hr for paint prep
0.5 hour for orange paint & mask
0.25 hour for black paint

1 hr for air piping and angular fuel tank/pollution tank/remove frame weights
0.5 hr for truck detailing
1 hr for stanchion placement (I used precision scale, much easier)
3 hrs for handrail bending/installing/brush painting

1 hr for decal placement (one side) sgt striped GR-418
1 hr for decals (other side)
0.5 hr for end decalling

1 hr for final details drop steps/wipers/aw window
0.5 hr touchup paint
0.5 hr rewire motor/DCC chip

total approx 15 hours, of course not all done in one sitting. I also didn't weather mine. It took me (off and on) 3 years to finish and like most of my models get seriously stalled at the handrail stage cuz my frame of mine must be Zen before I'm driven to bend handrails.

Hi !

I had worked again on the project. Now i must come back to the "pieces" around the front fan.

I need to know what is it and how a can model them. I have find a better picture. It llok like a antenna ?

Any help can be usefull

attachment.php

Thanks !

The blade looking things are all radio antennas made by Sinclair. The large one in the center of the cab is for the regular VHF voice radio. The two smaller ones are for UHF frequencies. From the red strobe on the front of the cab, I'm assuming that the locomotive is set up for remote control. I'm assuming that one of the small antennas is to receive signals from the remote control chest packs. The other one is probably to receive the signal from the end of train device. You can get models of these antennas from Detail Associates.

I have no idea what the gray cylinder with the black wire is used for. It's too large for a radio coaxial cable and looks like an air connection of some kind, although I don't know why it would be on the roof. Maybe one of our railroaders here knows more.

Back