Other project Kaslo GP9 CN # 7200

ccool

Hi !

I already start to build my second GP9 of CN with kaslo kit.

First, if anyone have picture of the unit # 7200 i appreciate to see them, i have only 2.

Second, Does anyone can confirm to me that this unit have 36" fan ?

Thanks !

Hi again...

Just to confirm...

- Does it have a rear drop step ?

- Does anyone make the box to plug the wire of the slug ?

- What is the real diameter of the handrail ?

- What is a A/F box and where is located ?

- Where is located the carbody filter ?

Thanks !

I'll look and see if I have pics of that unit, can't answer any Q's before then.
I have about six books filled with CN and CP pics that I'll likely be selling as I don't model either railway, weird huh?

Second, Does anyone can confirm to me that this unit have 36" fan ?

The only pictures that I was able to find were pictures of the interior of 7200 off of railpictures.net, you might also be able to find some pictures under road number 4515 which is what the unit was numbered as before it was rebuilt in 1985 to unit 7200.

This was the only picture I could find and it was when the unit existed as 4515 and it is the second unit in the consist so it is pretty much useless to you. Nice pic though.

View attachment 16211

Also according to the photographers notes in the photo the fans are 36". Good luck.

- Does it have a rear drop step ?
- Does anyone make the box to plug the wire of the slug ?
- What is the real diameter of the handrail ?
- What is a A/F box and where is located ?
- Where is located the carbody filter ?

Yes she does have (4) 36" fans

http://www.cnrphotos.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=24271&g2_imageViewsIndex=2

- yes she does have drop steps, both ends.
- No, no-one makes the slug connection box/wiring. Not hard to make, but don't install the kit supplied anticlimbers, the 72xx series don't have them.
- Handrail's are 1" actual (+ thickness of coat(s) of paint) that's about 0.012, I use 015 wire.
- a/f box? You mean the electrical cabinet filter box? it is internal on these model(s). (they are present on the earlier vers. though) The carbody filters are located where the dynamic brake grille used to be, and therefore there is no d/b or fan.

If you have any more questions, lmk...I built a Kaslo GP9rm as cn 4000

models040.jpg

models036.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
SGS, I like your models but that satellie dish mounted right above the electric meter makes my hair stand on end. :eek:

SGS, I like your models but that satellie dish mounted right above the electric meter makes my hair stand on end. :eek:

haha! Don't worry, I'm back to terra-firma cable...the dish isn't hooked up anymore, it's only there to keep the door-to-door satellite salemen off my porch! :D

Hi !

Rico : i will give to you my adress for your book lol

NWcanuck, i know that the locomotive had be renumeroted but i prefer to have the picture of the exact model because CN is CN anything can change at any moment.

iomalley :

ok for the fan, it's what i thing but i prefer to confirm like i don't have "clear view" of the top on any picture.

Drop step noted too. same reason for the picture...for the anticlimber i see them but thanks for the precision. For the slug connection i will try to scratchbuilt them and take the wire from detail west or detail associate it's not multiple wire like CN but can be better that nothing.

Thanks again !

Kaslo ask for 0.015 wire , again i just want to confirm if it's good. ( the information of kaslo are not always right) IN the instruction it's write that the number 7200 are 48" fan... always check before lol

The A/F box i don't know what is it... again in the instrruction it's write that i need them the part number is VF-107 from detail west. the description is : dynamic brake vent and elect cabinet filter for late 2nd gen. hood unit"

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/235-107

More information on that ?

Carbody filter : it is the "resin" part that i must glue on the hole of the dynamic brake ? i'm not sure on this one...

I see your GP9 in other tread, i have the same too but the mine are not so good because i must repaint them... ( the next time don't make the same number that me lol )

go to this site;

http://www.cnrphotos.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=6984

Tonnes of pictures of CN equipment. You have to consult photos as to whether or not the external elec cabinet air filter box is used. On all the right side pic on the site of 7200s there is no ECAFB present. On the earlier 4000s and 4100s there is an external ECAFB.

I would suggest you use Precision scale stanchions, as they're sturdier and have a tab to bend over the railing to make the connection more solid. The Kaslo stanchions rely on glue to hold them in place. I used 015 wire and it's a hair too thick, but a far cry from the fat 019 wire used on Athearn bluebox kits.

Kaslo's front number boards are too big. You have to scratch new smaller ones.

The carbody filters are photoetched grilles that go over the opening under the old dynamic brake shroud. Not sure what 'hole' you are referring to.

Hi !

I already know cnrpictures.

For the box...i don't know what is it... it's hard to locate them but now i thing that it's just rear the cab ?

What is the number part of precision scale ? ( i will check check to find them and let you know if i find it)

I will use the 0.015 wire, i thing that it's good.

For the number board it's true that it's too bigger, but i'M not sure if i will change them because it's already glue but i will check that. I have a bigger problem on the rear with number board and/or door with class light, for me it's impossible to align them corectly to make accurate, if you put the left class light door between the second and third grab iron and the class light between the first and second you can not match the right side. Do you already see that ?

For the carbody filter it's what i thing, you talk about the photo etched grilles and i talk about the "resin" part just under them.... it's just my english that it's not at point lol, but now i know what is it :)

THanks a lot again !

Hi !

I check for the stanchion i find something but the picture are soo bad...

I appreciate that you tell me the part number that you use and if you can send a close picture of those you have use on your model i appreciate too.

Thanks !

The exploded drawing in the kaslo kit is just for general reference. 7200 doesn't have the a/f box behind the cab.

Hi !

Same on my 4000 i don't have good picture of this side and i don't add them... it's too late :p

Do you have the time to check for the stantion ?

Thanks !

No, unfortunately I have no packs left. They are precision scale short sill mount stanchions. They also make short deck mounted and long sill mounted.

no I wouldn't go with them....these are the ones:

"HR stanch EMD side brs20/ 585-3935 HO $4.75"

Hi !

Few other question

- The winter hatch for the 36" fan are not the same that for 48". Someone can suggest a part for my GP9 ? I have find Detail West WH-164 but it's not write if it's 36 or 48"

- It have 2 "strange" pieces around the first fan on the front, the first one are directly in the front and over and the second are on the side. What is it ? if anyone have a close picture , i appreciate too.

- Anyone have a draw and/or dimension of the 2 box whit this slug wirring?

- For the wiring of the slug, like it have no identical wiring i have thing to take something like Detail West MU-218 and/or Detail Associate 1502, other idea ?

That's all for the moment :)

Thanks !

Last edited by a moderator:

Back