OT:Almost got hit by Tornado.

I figured I would post in this since it was started about weather. About 10am this morning, Cities in Kansas, got annihilated by hail. Baseball to softball size hail, and lots of it. My dad lives in Manhattan, KS and after talking with him I have learned, that his house has a lot of roof damage, and several houses around him have lots of windows broken out. Also, my Dad's fifth wheel camper is heavily damaged, and my Sisters Ford Escape is probably going to be totaled out. I post this, because more than likely, I am gonna be putting my layout on hold for a little bit, to help dad clean up the mess.

Great and I am in Lenexa Kansas on the west side of Kansas City.

I would rather not get a Weatherband radio. I would be more apt to stop if I knew what was ahead. I would rather keep going and just be ignorant of conditions. I cant afford to stop to much and I would rather keep going. I have seen lots of bad weather and survived alot. I drive thru alot of winter storms as well and have made it thru so far. To many truck drivers have that weather radio and they panic over nothing.
Besides I have a laptop with Sprint Wireless so I can look at the weather radar any time I want and see it for myself without having to interpit what is being said on the radio.

That is good. Better there than here. I am on lunch right now, and it isn't doing anything yet, but it sure is windy. I will have to update on what is going on. I keep reading all these stories on weather sites, about how bad it is supposed to get today. I hope it doesn't get too bad.

How are things going now? Looks like tornado watches and warnings out all the way from Minnesota to Texas. :eek: I hope your area is doing OK.

Yeah we are good. Actually where we are is no longer in any watches anymore. Weather actually didn't get too bad here. We got blasted by some 65-70 mph winds at first but then just a lot of rain. Nothing too bad anymore. It isn't even raining anymore. Thank god nothing bad for us.

Glad to hear it. Sounds like Minnesota got most of the damage. It looks like things are beginning to stabilize in the midwest although it sure looks like a hot weekend coming up.

Dang I keep trying to get hit. I am in Omaha at my companys yard and we had a tornado hit here in town. However this time I am not on the road lucky anyway.

So being that this topic is still here, we got hammered by storms last night. Spent about 30 min in our basement as a Tornado just missed us to the south. Then leveled a town about 8-10 miles east of us. Also Manhattan, KS got hit and has quite a bit of damage, but I believe everyone is ok.
Talk about a crappy night of weather.

My dad drives for Marten Transport, so when I saw that photo of the Marten truck off the road I was very glad to know he was at home.

He looked at the photo and figured that since it was a dry van (most of their fleet is reefers) it was one of their beer haulers, probably running empty on a return trip.

He mentioned seeing a house getting flattened by a tornado near there at some time in the past, which was the first time I've heard that he's been anywhere near a tornado in progress....

The poor folks in Kansas have really taken a beating from these storms, not to mention the rest of the flooding in the midwest. This is the first time I've seen the price of corn almost double due to flooding and the farmers being unable to plant. I wish there was an end in sight but those storms just keep building up every day. I hope all of you in the area stay safe.

Yep Iowa Really got hit by Floods. I just went across there Thursday morning and man they have alot of new lakes there. Thursday night they closed I-80 down due to a two mile stretch being flooded. That I think was at the north skunk river and I expected to see that there.

Yeah Iowa has had a bad year too. Kansas has had the most Tornadoes this year according to weather experts, and Iowa has/is having the worst flood. Really crappy weather this year. Hope all is well with any and everyone on here as well as their families.

Back