Ordering Supplies On-line

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
Most people are home bound during the Corona Virus situation. Hobby shops are announcing that they are closing their walk in store operations, but keeping their web stores open for business.

During this virus problem are you ordering more model railroading items via the internet?

I stocked up on supplies after my last trip to Walthers, but will need some items soon that I forgot and I'll order them via the web. I keep looking at that beautiful Canadian National locomotive, it's on my Wish List.

Have you recently ordered anything on line?

Thanks.

Greg

Greg, I personally shop online almost exclusively now. Because my LHS (2hrs away) has online shopping with free shipping on purchases over $80.00, I shop there a lot. I purchased an Atheran CN locomotive there online one day, and it arrived on my doorstep the next day with free shipping. Hard to beat that.
I strongly disagree with the high shipping costs that many outfits require, and disagree with paying that much when I ship something. I know people are paying those prices, but, why? It baffles me as to why I can order out of Australia or the UK and get very reasonable shipping costs as compared to places close by. All eight of my Oxford vehicles came from Australia at about $8.00cdn each, and with very reasonable shipping. I can't drive to the city and get them for that.
Locally, I like shopping train hobby supplies at a place that charges shipping on 1 item, and ships everything else in that order for free. I've made big orders there, like my plaster cloth, ballast, etc, and it only cost me $14.00 to have shipped.

Shopping online is the best; and I can still support my LHS. I make sure I shop around though.

Most people are home bound during the Corona Virus situation. Hobby shops are announcing that they are closing their walk in store operations, but keeping their web stores open for business.

Wait... You still have a local hobby shop?

I'm joking but not much. We only have a couple left anywhere close. One is mainly Lionel, a second is all scales, new and used items, and a third is primarily N scale. I can't save I've been to any of them recently.

Then again, I don't buy much model RR stuff any more, mostly a few things here and there at train shows.

Has anyone gotten anything from Yankee Dabbler? I placed an order 10 days ago, followed up with an e-mail a few days later and nothing. You'd think they'd have someone at least answering e-mails.

Went to the LHS Wednesday. Picked a bunch of Kadee, and a few odds & ends. I'll order online sometimes for deals, or if that's where what I happen to be looking for is, but mostly I support the LHS. Nothing wrong with buying online but I like to see & touch things when possible. Now if I had to drive two hours, that'd be different, but I'm lucky.

Has anyone gotten anything from Yankee Dabbler? I placed an order 10 days ago, followed up with an e-mail a few days later and nothing. You'd think they'd have someone at least answering e-mails.
They may be swamped with orders. Lots of people buying supplies for something to while sheltering in place. It's a good shop. Give them some time. Hell try calling an airline LOL! You'll find out what waiting really is!

I wish I had a whole bunch of Evergreen & Plastruct plastic shapes, strips, and sheet materials,...for kitbashing, etc.

Its difficult to order special size pieces as one, two, etc at a time, and I'm sure shipping is a killer on such small (and often long) sizes.

Does anyone else have a good source for such product?

Back