Order of Purchases?

I am building my layout on a pretty tight budget. I am allowing myself 1 major purchase a month. What order should I get things? Track, DCC, Loco? DCC, track, loco? Loco, track, DCC? etc.

I have my benchwork done and a trackplan ready(ish). Should I go ahead and get the track laid?

Hi. If your goal is to get up and running trains as fast as you can, track and then trains, in that order.

On the other hand, as you are on a tight budget, and if you can be patient, you will eventually have much more material and rolling items on hand when all is said and done if you buy things according to their price as their prices gain attractiveness....buy things when they go on sale.

For full enjoyment, a track plan needs some learned thinking. Read SpaceMouse's guide if you find one of his posts...it's a link under his signature. But for a general order of business, most folks identify their space, consider a robust track plan and supporting benchwork for the maximum fun, variety in operations, and longevity of the layout, and then acquire only the numbers of track sections and specialty items that they need...saves tons on unneeded purchase. You'll make more of those mistakes, and spend more, the less time you devote up-front to serious learning and thinking about how best to get a good plan for your space.

Next, you lay your trackage according to plan, wire it for power, and then you prove your track by running trains backwards and forward, engines under load and running free, to make sure it all works. Then you cover your tracks with wide painters tape, and then begin to add the scenery and structures as you had planned.

Note that some folks like to paint their surface before they lay tracks. This is somewhat more important when you have pink or blue extruded foam as your open layer. It doesn't look very realistic in those colours, so many folks paint it a light tan using latex paint that won't harm the foam.

How's that so far?

the first thing you should do if you haven't already is to define your era, roadname, location etc. Once you do that, you can focus in on the things you need and be able to eliminate those things that don't fit.

I've seen more overspending buying stuff that looks cool but doesn't fit that layout than anything other reason for over spending.

The more you define, the less likely you will buy something that doesn't get used.

The other thing I have found is that things take longer than you think. If you buy things as you are ready for them, it strings out your purchases.

I think I have accounted for all of that.

I suppose if I get the track going I have something to do for the next month until I buy the DCC system... then I have a month to get that installed before I pick up a loco or 2.

Guess I'll make a lunchtime journey to Caboose Hobbies!

No matter what the era, you still need track, so that would be my first purchase. You really need at least a small power pack and small locomotive also. You can lay track and then find out it doesn't work electrically or the alignment is off and everything derails. Having power and a small locomotive at east gets you started with those aspects. You can pick up a power pack for less than $10 on e-bay and you can often find an older Athearn blue box lcomotive in the same price range too.

What order and wait?

Hi FT,
I would have to agree that after you come up with a track plan that will provide not only operation but hold your interest by having various sidings and industries/business for the era your modeling as will as the needed facilities for the loco's involved then track is important but the size of the track can also be as important to giving your railroad a realistic look, and that's one thing most of us are after is to put things in their proper perspective!! So what I'm saying is code 83 rail is a lot more aproperate for lighter loco's than say code 100 for the large Mainline Locos.

Now of course you can always inter mix the two also and use a lighter weight rail for the sidings, as I'm doing - code 55 for light steam and code 70 for the mainline, to give a different effect and more prototypical so one size rail does not necessarly fit all although it can be used for all, the choice is yours.

Also depending on the era your modeling sidings may not need to be on road bed but rather just layed on the ground as I'm doing for my turn of the 19th Century Steam and very early Deisel layout.

Just some different info for thought.

David
Take a look under For Sale and Wanted, I'll have a listing going in there for various supplies I have available and you can always contact me for more info via email.

Can't add much to the good suggestions already given, but agree that track should be first, DCC power second w/a low cost dcc ready loco and standard decoder. This will give you some play time along with future planning. For sidings and places of important features, just make place cards with the industry/scene name on them for giving you some feel for the operation. I still have cards scattered around my layout and probably will have some for awhile. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
In relation to what Rex said about place cards you can even make temporary
buildings from most any light weight cardboard to give yourself an idea of size
and even have a simulated structure to pull up along side of, could possible even add a loading dock if aproprate?

Yeah, I was going to cut some paper templates for my structures so I could get a better feel for how things would fit and work!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

My recommendation would be to buy a suitable Atlas locomotive with a Decoder already installed. Master series, I think they are. They have a jumper which you can switch back and forth between DC and DCC.

I say that because no matter what DCC system you buy, you can conceivably hook it up to the trackwork in a couple of hours and be running. I bought the NCE system, and was running in one hour, using some wire to roach clips. I clipped them to a stub siding track, and ran it like that for 5 years. Ain't no 1month installation about it.

:D

Kennedy

All of my buildings are going to have to be scratch built as I am researching my community and trying to recreate it in 1950. However, in the meantime I want to be able to run trains and develop the scenery.

I found this software, Google Sketchup, and am told it is excellent and easy to design buildings with it. Then you print out the finished product in scale and past it onto card stock. You have the building for use at almost no cost until you can afford to replace it.

I haven't used it yet, but it is free, so nothing ventured...

Back