Oops! I think i have made another error

pensive grandpa

I did post this in another area and was directed to post this in the "discussion" forum
I am a newby and just starting on my first layout HO size 12 x 5 - will be a t2 level layout
Mostly scratch build on the villages etc (African scenes depicted with round buildings and thatched roofs)

my error I realize is as follows

Base board on lower level is 1/4" ply
next layer 2" styrene foam (I have just glued it down)
roadbed is on its way (ordered western scenics foam rolls)
track is on its way (code 83 flex track, brown ties)

How do i anchor the track and
how do i wire this, thru this total depth of foam and thru ply etc?[/B][/FONT

I have put on the risers to build the second level
only difference is that the base ply is 5/16" (more rigid)
2" Styrene foam
road bed
track

HELP!! am I up the river (which (Sic) Not even designed yet!)

michael

African layout, eh? Never seen that modelled before, be sure to post pics as you go!
The styrofoam should strengthen the 1/4 ply as long as your stringers (framework) are not too far apart.
Roadbed should stick well with a foam safe adhesive. The track will adhere with the ballast but will need to be held in place with pins of some kind untill the glue sets.
As for wiring, I would think if you push a long drill bit down untill you hit bedrock (plywood) then put power to it you should be able to fish the wires up to the rails.

The wiring for the bottom level will be easiest as you can bring it right up through the plywood. On the upper level the wires can be brought up behind or through the risers. They can then come up through the foam. You can make a shallow cut in the top of the foam to push the wires down into so they'll be out of sight going to the track. Later the cuts will be hidden by the scenery.

oops follow up

Yes thanks - this "bottom up" process really makes sense to me

I suppose that the same would apply to my switches -? which I havent bought yet!
any thoughts about which switches to match my code 83 flex track and my wanting to go DCC

thanks Michael

oops follow up

Yes thanks - this "bottom up" process really makes sense to me

I suppose that the same would apply to my switches -? which I havent bought yet!
any thoughts about which switches to match my code 83 flex track and my wanting to go DCC

thanks Michael

Use Latex caulk (not silicone) to glue down subroadbed and track. You can get a long drill bit or get a steel rod the length and diameter you want, file a point on it and then file/grind half the point off. That will make a drill that will easily go through foam and thin plywood.

African scenes

Michael,
I'm curious! Why have you picked African scenes, round huts with thatched roofs???
Do you plan to try to run trains that are typical of the are??
Curious because I am from the continent, south of the equator.
Best of luck.
Mac

maczim - oops! resoponse

Yes Mac, I am from Joey's and want to model a SA scene with A Kruger Park type Camp and Local Tribal houses also want to replicate the PILGRIMS REST TOWN -
i was hoping to reproduce the Early steam era (round the turn of the century) but find HO has limited "Shay Type" steam engines ( I dont want DIESEL)

so even if it is my first try at this I am most intereseted in the Creative process of creating the Bush scenery (with a water pan and viewing platform) and the "wild animals" in the south - I do find the quality, the price and the variety of the animals very limiting - the thought of creating a Baobab is daunting
I wish there were local guys near to me (Irvine) that i could get to bounce ideas around - though i must say this forum is a good spring board for great feedback.

thanks so much for your interest.

Back