Omi m630 cpr #4562

efram

Brand new. My buddy just treated himself for Christmas. Enjoy the pics.

IMG_0137.png

...oh...the Dofascos....

IMG_0138.png

Detailed engine compartment...

IMG_0139.png

A beauty-of-a-behemoth...

He wants me to weather it. *GULP*

A lite weathering will really bring out the detail on those Dofascos and take the sheen off the loco.
Good luck, post pics!

Hahahha! It'll get weathered, eventually. You know, there's one thing that bothers me about it. The horn is in the "as delivered" spot, on the cab roof. How on earth does one move it?! It wouldn't fit into an operating era alongside SD40-2F's with that detail.....

Last edited by a moderator:
You can nip it off at the roof and file the horn nub down, sand and paint...thats the cheapest option and uses the horn casting to plug the hole. Simply redrill a new hole at the back.

I wouldn't bother trying to save the horn by removing it. Details west makes a gorgeous casting of that horn anyway...

Oh, and put a better ACI decal over the OMI one...(or spray some action red over it)

If you're going to run this with the red barn, it's gonna HAVE to be dirty!

Hey guys, I got a report about this thread. While it is obvious everyone is just having fun, let's keep in mind that any member's young kid should be able to surf the forum without needing any terminology explained by an adult.

efram, nice loco!!!

Sorry about the oversight, I totally understand. :)

:cool: I appreciate your understanding.

Your reluctance to weather such an awesome looking locomotive is not unexpected. That thing is beautiful! We can't have it running around your buddy's layout all shiney though... :D

My only reluctance comes from the tedious masking I'll have to do around ALL the windows, gems and wheels before I even start...yuck!

Did you know it came with a Digitrax decoder already installed?! I didn't know that OMI was doing that now...guess they have to...

My only reluctance comes from the tedious masking I'll have to do around ALL the windows, gems and wheels before I even start...yuck!

Did you know it came with a Digitrax decoder already installed?! I didn't know that OMI was doing that now...guess they have to...

Not sure which method of weathering you like to use, but I'd pull the shell so masking the wheels wouldn't be needed. The windows, etc are a pain to mask, but it will be worth it in the end.

Do you plan to dull coat the shell and weather with chalk?

I've never seen an alco with glossy-black sideframes and a weathered body :p

Yes, it's gonna be a dull cote with chalks and india ink, too. Gotta have oil leaking from somewhere!

I've never seen an alco with glossy-black sideframes and a weathered body :p

Yes, it's gonna be a dull cote with chalks and india ink, too. Gotta have oil leaking from somewhere!

Was thinking of doing the trucks, fuel tanks, etc with a brush while the shell was off...

I love to apply a Dullcote finish and then get out the chalk and "git er dirty" too. Have fun and be sure to post some "after" pics. :)

Brand new. My buddy just treated himself for Christmas. Enjoy the pics.

IMG_0137.png

...oh...the Dofascos....

IMG_0138.png

Detailed engine compartment...

IMG_0139.png

A beauty-of-a-behemoth...

He wants me to weather it. *GULP*

Love your model! You're fortunate to get a good one. Enjoy.

Sometimes Overland can do a sloppy job as in the RS3 I purchased. The stripes were crooked, the numbering askew, and the handrail posts weren't straight, and one of the rails was misaligned against the cab. I'm still tweaking it with some success.
Though I love all the flawless steam locos I purchased from them in the past, I'll never order a diesel from them again. I prefer to see the model up close in a hobby shop before I purchase it; it's just too much of a gamble to pre-order nowadays, but that seems to be the only way to get the model you want.
I'm looking forward to see how you weather your model and how you will mask off the windows. I'm hoping I can learn something and hide some of the flaws on my model with some weathering.
Cheers.

Does anyone on this site remember that cheesy art show that was made back in the 80's. Hosted by a man with a LARGE 'fro....

Anyways, his catch phrase is "In art, there's never such thing as a mistake. Only an opportunity." Keep that in mind when weathering.

As per your comments regarding "seeing before buying..." JUST build it yourself! Then you know it's perfect!!!

Amen brother...

I had this discussion (with Efram et al, at the last RPM meet in Toronto) that what's better...buying a MellowMike $750 weathered freight car off ebay, or...

buy a $10 freight car, attempt to weather it, fail...throw it out, buy another $10 freight car, attempt to weather it, fail...throw it out, buy another $10 freight car, attempt to weather it, fail...throw it out, etc etc.

My the time you reach the $375 mark, you'll be a damn good weatherer!!!

Does anyone on this site remember that cheesy art show that was made back in the 80's. Hosted by a man with a LARGE 'fro....

Anyways, his catch phrase is "In art, there's never such thing as a mistake. Only an opportunity." Keep that in mind when weathering.

As per your comments regarding "seeing before buying..." JUST build it yourself! Then you know it's perfect!!!

So true. My nicest models are ones that are scratchbuilt, were undecorated, or upgraded with details in the mid 90's. Gotta get back to this. This is the most enjoyable part of the hobby for me. Just need to free up some time to do it again. Currently I'm busy with detailing a plastic diesel shell to make it more prototypical and collecting for a new era I want to model. Oh my, just realized I haven't run a train on my layout in over a week.

+1 SGS!

This hobby should be about expanding your skills and confidence, with all kinds of mediums.

Amen brother...

I had this discussion (with Efram et al, at the last RPM meet in Toronto) that what's better...buying a MellowMike $750 weathered freight car off ebay, or...

buy a $10 freight car, attempt to weather it, fail...throw it out, buy another $10 freight car, attempt to weather it, fail...throw it out, buy another $10 freight car, attempt to weather it, fail...throw it out, etc etc.

My the time you reach the $375 mark, you'll be a damn good weatherer!!!

Now that's a a great idea to perfect one's skills. At the next hobby show. I'll buy some junk to practice on. Here is a shot of the first car I weathered. THe car is so old that it is starting to shrink and deform.
Cheers.

+1 SGS!

This hobby should be about expanding your skills and confidence, with all kinds of mediums.

I concur. I have learned a lot from this forum and attempted things I would not have attempted before. Thank you all!
A new skill I would like to learn is to airbrush. All my models were painted by brushing multiple thin layers or aerosol can.

This crane was done with an aerosol can.

Back